Xmas 09

Spokejunkie
Spokejunkie Posts: 40
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Well Folks,

The countdown begun sometime ago depending on which department stores or shopping centres you have been passing through. Has anyone already planned a ride to get them out of the house and away from the festive onslaught that normally begins with relatives taking over the house, the prawn cocktail starter, turkey and more turkey and the usual trimmings that won't all fit on your plate, Christmas pudding and just when you though it was safe to leave the table , cheese and biscuits and the joy of joys , mulled wine. If you are lucky one of your relatives may not have brought their DVD games of Who wants to be a millionaire or Telly addicts and also pray no one wants to watch all the omnibus editions of their favourite soaps and the Queens speech. Share your cunning plans of escape and in turn inspire others and keep hope alive , someone has to . Those that are travelling elsewhere meaning you are away from your bike, we will be thinking of you :cry:

Comments

• Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i've been working on a polite lifelike robot version of me to deal with the shit stuff so i can go out and play in the woods. i may even put some tinsel on a pine tree out on the trails for fellow mtbers to see that they are at home there :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i was trying to get away with coming into work so i could avoid it all, but now the little one will have a idea of whats going on the wife keeps saying i should want to enjoy being at home for xmas??? i think an early ride on the trails is a happy comprimise? at least they should be quiet?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    F**k Christmas.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Has anyone already planned a ride to get them out of the house and away from the festive onslaught
    Since 1997 we have hired the same house in Mid-Wales over the festive season, and all relatives are invited to this 'neutral territory'. Some are Weapons Of Mass Consumption and stuff their faces from Xmas Eve til New Years Day, others prefer to eat their Xmas lunch on top of a mountain.

Surprising how well it all works when there's no need to compromise.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I enjoy time with the family over christmas. i still have plenty of time to go and ride.
  • dave_hill wrote:
    F**k Christmas.

Agreed, most people aren't religious, why bother ? To me christmas is all about misery and excess alcohol.
  • Anonymous
    dave_hill wrote:
    F**k Christmas.

Agreed, most people aren't religious, why bother ? To me christmas is all about misery and excess alcohol.
    Well, its an excuse to get drunk and party, so what's to be miserable about?
    It all stems from the old winter solistice celebrations anwyay, so most religious types are just kidding themselves.
  • winter solstice: best day of the year for night riding!
  • dave_hill
    Well, its an excuse to get drunk and party

You mean you need an excuse?
    It all stems from the old winter solistice celebrations anwyay, so most religious types are just kidding themselves.

Correct but 99% of the population have forgotten this and seem to view it as a reason to spend money that they don't have in an attmept to impress friends/neighbours/people who don't care.

As a kid I used to love Christmas but my parents brought me up in the spirit of the season (without being religious in any way, shape or form - they're lapsed Church of England and I'm an atheist(although I do largely respect and tolerate other people's beliefs)) without spoiling me and indulging my every whim. I'm afraid that it's just a commercial orgy now and as such it's true meaning, be it pagan or Christian, is largely overlooked.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    XMAS to me:

Great food
    Watching the smiles on my kids faces opening presents.
    Jack daniels single barrel that I get
    8 days off work.
    repeated 1980's xmas tv shows, and people smacking around women in eastenders.. LOL

I still enjoy christmas, but its not the same, as in canada we used to go out and find a tree and cut it down, and lots of snow and a wood fire.

But its all good, I can make rain men.. :lol:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'm not religious but I love Christmas. Fine wine, fine food, and fine company. A great way to spend a few days.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    its barely november for fook sake!
    anyone who uses the C word before December shall be struck down upon with great vengeance and furious anger :twisted:
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Anonymous
    rhyko7 wrote:
    its barely november for fook sake!
    anyone who uses the C word before December shall be struck down upon with great vengeance and furious anger :twisted:
    Even if I'm talking to relatives about "what are you doing for christmas this year?"

Although I totally agree with you about all the music and ads on telly, in October/November - that drives me nuts too.
  • Stop it, don't mention the 'C' word!

Christmas is cancelled.... I'm working all bloody day :cry:

I have the mental age of a 5 year old at christmas :D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    for me its just a way to get new bike bits :twisted:
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    New animated Christmas Carol film hits the cinema here on Friday - perhaps it'll be on DVD by mid-December :roll:
  • dave_hill wrote:
    F**k Christmas.

It's the same for me... without the misery :D
  • dave_hill
    Daz555 wrote:
    Fine wine, fine food, and fine company.

But you could do that any day of the year - why wait until Christmas?
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Anonymous
    dave_hill wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    Fine wine, fine food, and fine company.

But you could do that any day of the year - why wait until Christmas?
    Because crimbo is a time when most of the family is off work, and gather together. Some people have family and friends that live pretty far away, and work.
  • dave_hill
    And another thing. Christmas cards. Whats that all about eh?

I mean, if you can be bothered to send me a Christmas card, why can't you be bothered to communicate with me the rest of the year? Why waste god knows how much on a tacky piece of cardbaord with some schmalzy crap on it and a stamp, just to say "best wishes for the season"?? What a load of crap, like I give two stuffs about you anyway!!

And what the hell do people you work with give you Christmas cards for??? FFS, I see your ugly mush every f**king day, I don't want to think about you when you're NOT there!!! :evil:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Me and the Mrs are at home this year, being dragged pillar to post by both sets of in laws :? Methinks a ski trip to Schladming over next Christmas sounds like a good idea :roll:
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    christams is pretty crap TBH. when i was still in Poland most of the winter was spent skiing/mountain biking down the local hill in 30cm+ of snow. and anyway christmas has become very stupid, all these pointless presents that will be long forgotten after a few weeks but the only good thing is that you'r off school and stuffing your face with sweets and chocolates.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    Christmas is when it starts snowing :D well maybe not in england :( so its time to go away and go skiing :D i do love skiing :D
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Apart from the first couple of hours when my kids are opening their presents, I would give it a miss. Spend most of our time running around keeping various family members happy. Does my rocks in TBH
    2014 Whyte T-129S