Brake cable/lever compatability

Staggerlee46
Staggerlee46 Posts: 38
edited November 2009 in The workshop
Hi
I am trying to fit a brake cable to Dirty Harry Lever- something I have done with no problem before.
I have one cable - a K.ble 1.6mm Shimano Compatible road brake cable.
On it's end is a drum shaped nipple. The drum has two diameters- the end part being slightly wider.
When I come to insert the nipple into the lever, the cable cannot rotate 90 degrees to sit flush in the lever. The smaller part of the drum is stopping the cable laying flat down
I've never seen this before. Have I been sold the worng cable for the job?.The lever was in a sale in a reputable shop- I asked at the counter what was wrong with it and they sdaid nothing
I took some photos but not sure if it is possible to upload them on here.
I will connect to a dual pivot brake.
Any comments welcome.
Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    The Dirty Harry's a BMX lever, so you need an MTB/BMX cable, not the road one you have.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    915820.jpg

you need as Chris says a cable with the top fitting (or in this case you cut off the one you do not require).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I see- thanks guys.
    It never amazes me the bizarre advice you get in decent bike shops. I asked a member of staff 'What cable is compatible with this lever?'. It's not even worth the bus fare across London to exchange it.