OMG how good would this job be?

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Came across this job with the forestry commission. It looks amazing! Basically you're job would be to design mountain bike trails....and get paid for it! :O Just wish i had the right experience!! Though Id post it here in theres anyone out there who has.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-7xble3

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bloody hard work mind, and your hobby would become a job.
  • They should speak to the trail builders at Morzine.
    They started a brand new trail on the day that we arrived there and it was open for business 2 days later. Three blokes and a wee digger, amazing.
  • Anonymous
    Thing is, in Morzine, the trails only tend to last a season.
    Well, I say season, what I really mean is a month.
    Well, when I say month, it's more like a week.
    Well, maybe a week.
    Ok, half a day of heavy riding!

They're so pitted and ruined after a day or two of riding, then they just dig them out again. The forestry comission tries to build sustainable trails, or at least long lasting ones.
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    how long was the trail?
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    It would be a nice job.

The exciting thing though is the mention of 10 MTB sites being developed in the South West. I knew about the work planned in Bristol and had heard a couple of rumours, but this sounds great.

:D
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    It would not be a great job.

I go out MTB on the weekends to get away from the job and stress.

I dont think it would be all fun and games, Seems quite high level stress.

Get it done in a month or we dont pay you type of job.

But if I am wrong, it would be amazing, but doubt it if you are working for the gov.

I always gots to be negative. :?
  • A true test of how much you love your hobby.

I 'thought' I loved golf. Got my dream job working in the marketing dept for the biggest equipment manufacturer..

Come the weekend the last thing I wanted to do was play golf. I was fortunate enough to play a few of the best courses around, but not sure I really appreciated them at the time..

If you can seperate working and playing when it is fundamentally the same thing then it's absolutely the dream job, BUT, it'll test your love of MTB to the limit..
  • Anonymous
    I used to make a lot of music, then I started working as a sound engineer. Now, when I come home from work, the last thing I wanna do is sit in another studio.
    Don;t get me wrong, I love my job, but I need the time away from it to "reset" so to speak.
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    Funny that your mentioning jobs you love and then cant be arsed. I used to work in games shops and end day i got fed up with the games haha nah not really but it wasnt as brill as i thought. How evere brill jobs wouldnt get fed up off like the guys in the mag and TopGear they are brill jobs out there is can find em :wink::D
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Why would the Forestry employ someone to design trail? That's what contractors are for.

I suspect you may be looking at an inspection to standards job.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    me too, i'm always getting friends asking me to help them fix their sky or get their x box controlling their tv. i've just spent the week doing that i want to go riding!! :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    erm...you realise this job is a project managers position....

not designing and riding trails??

project management can be difficult, taking the responsibility whilst having very little control on the ground....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:
    erm...you realise this job is a project managers position....

not designing and riding trails??

project management can be difficult, taking the responsibility whilst having very little control on the ground....

+1

...You wouldn't be doing any trail building, you'd be sat in the little metal container with loads of design plans talking bullsh!t in boring meetings to keep everyone happy all day long. Ensuring health and safety standards are met, the project is going to plan, everyone is there that is supposed to be etc. etc. etc.