Different tyres front and rear

simon2names
simon2names Posts: 56
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Why? :?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Better grip up front & less rolling resistance out back usually.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Better grip up front & less rolling resistance out back usually.

I have noticed a difference since I put a faster rolling tyre on the rear compared to the front wheel. Seem to cary speed a lot more now :-)
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • does it make that much difference? even to a non-pro?
  • nonnac85
    I definitely feel a difference when I'm going along my usual trails (and riding on the road to get there).
    I wasn't convinced about how much difference it would make before I tried it but I am converted!
  • Any one got examples for good tubed mixes to achieve this?
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    does it make that much difference? even to a non-pro?
    Yes, it does make quite a difference.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • the most obvious next question is what do you use?

i've got continental mountain kings, thinking about either swapping them (front to rear) due to uneven wear or just getting a near rear, as it were.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    the most obvious next question is what do you use?
    Different-sized Nobby Nics work well with the bigger tyre up front. High Roller XC and Crossmark rear is a good Summer combo. A Medusa up front and a Nic on the rear is great for Winter gloop.

Basically the front tyre tends to clear a path for the rear so you can run a lighter tyre on the back.
  • nonnac85
    My old combo (came with bike) was Specialized Resolution 2.1" (front and rear)

New combo is Kenda Small Block 8 - 1.9" but looks more like 2.1" (rear) and Maxxis ADvantage 2.1" on the front.

So far I'm impressed with the new tyres as apart from rolling better, the Kenda has cleared well. I was a little worried that the mud would get stuck in all the gaps and make the back wheel into a muddy disc but its been fine on the trails and at a very wet and muddy Thetford Winter Series race yesterday.
    Also in the mud I definitely got more grip from the AD up front than the old tyres.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The two tyres do different jobs, I think the question's more why would you expect one tyre to work as well at both ends?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • the most obvious next question is what do you use?

i've got continental mountain kings, thinking about either swapping them (front to rear) due to uneven wear or just getting a near rear, as it were.
    Bin them, they're useless, unless you ride mud/grass. I used ADvantage 2.1/ Small block during the summer and was very impressed (previous 2.35 Mountain Kings F and R). Now winter is here , I'm on Minion 2.35 front/ 2.1 ADvantage rear. :)
  • I use nobby nic 2.3 on the front and conti speed king 2.3 on the back i find this works quite well on my commute also on the trail.
  • bramstoker wrote:
    Any one got examples for good tubed mixes to achieve this?

Kenda Blue Groove up front and a Kenda Nevegal out the back.
    It's a stonking pairing and one I wish I'd tried sooner.

Also +1 on the Conti Mountain Kings, they're mince.
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    winter pairings anyone??

i was going to get some bonty mud x tomorrow is there any sense in getting a wider front tyre to the back??
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    The front tyre steers the bike, therefore when steered, the ground forces are acting on the sides of the tyre.

The rear just pushes you along in a forward motion, thus does not need (that much) side thrust grip.

Two great examples;

WTB Velociraptors F and R specifics

Panaracer Smoke and Dart
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    autum pairings :) ?
  • Kenda Blue Groove Sticky up front and Kenda Nevegal DTC on the back. Great combo.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I never got on with the bluegroove front, it seemed to like to tramline along ruts and roots, seems not to have a lot of side grip... Prefer the nevegal stick-e on the front. And Excavator on the rear, which is like a DTC nevegal on steroids, the 2.1 grips like a 2.35 Nevegal and rolls sort of between the 2.1 and 2.35. Ace
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Each to their own I suppose. Tyres are a very personal thing, everyone has different opinions. They work great for me.
  • A good tyre combination that isn't to slow to make the up hills miserable but will not hold me back on the down hill when its wet and slippery. I need something that will take a beating and not puncture all the time
    I thought a Panaracer cinder 2.25 up front and then the lighter and faster panaracer rampage 2.35 on the back.
    Any suggestions?
  • Brock230 you don't want a 2.35 Rampage on the back. I made that mistake once, it felt like pedalling a tractor!
  • I have a 2.35 on the back, but I also have one on the front. It's not too bad at all and really depends on the tread. What you dont want is a thicker tyre on the back than on the front.
  • What about two cinders, they seem to be the best for grip and not too heavy.

What else do people use for wet roots and rocks.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    brock230 wrote:
    What else do people use for wet roots and rocks.
    If most of your riding really is on wet roots and rocks, what about Maxxis Advantage? They're not the lightest tyre in the world but otherwise they're pretty good.
  • Kenda Blue Groove Sticky up front and Kenda Nevegal DTC on the back. Great combo.

+1
  • Rampages are very fast rolling on the back, if you have it the right way on, put it the wrong way round and it's a bloody anchor!

Effectively you want the square face of the centre knobs facing the direction of traction, so the rear at the rear and the front at the front so you can brake effectively.

If you have them the wrong way round the rear spins out really easily but has great bite for braking, and the front just washes out.
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    it all depends on where you ride. if you are at trail centres that are purpose built you avoid alot of mud you might get elsewhere. it also depends how easy you want to make your up and downhills? a good allrounder is a maxxis highroller2.35 super tacky, i use one on the rear and either a maxxis ardent 2.4 or panaracer fire FR pro 2.4 on the front depending on conditions. ardent is a good allround freeride the fire fr is a chunky tire that doesn't even fit on the back end of lots of bikes and is good in the dry.
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I've got a few different tyres but am always looking for more to test out.
    Here are a few examples.
    My really old tyres were IRC Mythos 2.1" front and rear specific - okay combination, quite quick but no major traction downhill.
    Next came the Schwalbes - Nobby Nic 2.25 upfront, racing ralf 2.25 at the back. Very quick combination very little rolling resistance and quite grippy in the dry. However, not much use in the wet and you can destroy them too easily if you ride on rocky routes.
    I'm now on Maxxis Minions Fronts (for the front and rear) 2.35. They are bigger and slightly slower than the previous combinations but are great in most weather (except snow and deep mud), they wear well and are superb downhill.
    I've also got a pair of Intense 909s for DH dutys.

It depends on what you ride and where you ride. I find most people here ride the Schwalbe Nobby nic/Racing Ralf combination - seems a good alround starting point. Directional tyres are designed to take advantage of the different forces you put through the different wheels - it's not for everyone though.
    It would be nice if you could test ride tyres before you had to buy them...
    How do people rate the Panaracer Fire XCs?
    Not really active