Do DH pro's do XC?

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Hey

I just wanted to know if Down hill world champs like peaty do xc as well.

I know they dont ride pro in xc, but was wondering if they bat for the other side? :wink:

It would be interesting to see what type of rigs they use and components.

Nice 1

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i'd imagine most pros do ALL variations. It would improve skills.

To be a pro they also probably enjoy just being out riding.
  • Yes they do, it's how they get their fitness up.

Peaty was in a MBUK article a few months back where he was out riding XC. Plus, check out The Atherton Project episodes, Rachel said she rides XC plus they all ride roadies too.

'08 Kona Cowan, Sunrise Big Mammoth Fat rims, Marzocchi DJ fork, Avid BB5 brakes
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    Yes. Last year between Christmas and New Year I was overtaken by Steve Peat and Hans Rey doing the red at Dalby. This was towards the end and I was seriously flagging, Peaty was flying though was polite enough to say thanks when I pulled over to let him pass.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I remember reading a feature in one of the mtb mags a while back where the guys were riding XC with Tracey Moseley for the day and she was absolutely killing them so its pretty sure that the other DH guys and galls all ddabble in XC riding.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rachel atherton destroyed her shoulder at the start of this year, on a road bike, during a training session.
    So, yes, they are professionals, they work very hard on their fitness, and use XC, road riding, and anything else vailable to gain a competitive edge.
  • Anonymous
    Maybe because they looked exactly like Peaty and Ray?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    canada16 wrote:
    It would be interesting to see what type of rigs they use and components.
    SwanseaDan wrote:
    Peaty was in a MBUK article a few months back where he was out riding XC.
    IIRC Peaty is in mbr this month on a Santa Cruz XC bike. Can't say he looks comfortable on it lol
  • .blitz
    Maybe because they looked exactly like Peaty and Ray?
    :)
  • Rachel atherton destroyed her shoulder at the start of this year,

You forget to mention she also destroyed her road bike, and a white van....

"It was soooo knarly"

:roll:
  • .blitz
    Rachel atherton destroyed her shoulder at the start of this year,
    You forget to mention she also destroyed her road bike, and a white van...."It was soooo knarly" :roll:
    +1
    Stick to the DH, luv...
  • canada16
    LOL

I know peaty uses his own grips, nice to see he practice what he preaches.

I have them and love them and they look sweet.

Was just wondering that's all, to see what stuff they class as top equipment and what they ride.

It would be awesome if they didn't get dug into all this XTR stuff and they were all cruising around in good quality cheap parts like deore.

Will keep my eye out for what they are on.

Nice 1 guys
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    canada16 wrote:
    LOL

I know peaty uses his own grips, nice to see he practice what he preaches.

I have them and love them and they look sweet.

Was just wondering that's all, to see what stuff they class as top equipment and what they ride.

It would be awesome if they didn't get dug into all this XTR stuff and they were all cruising around in good quality cheap parts like deore.

Will keep my eye out for what they are on.

Nice 1 guys

i would wager that peaty has a blur, a bullet, a nomad etc all decked out in blackbox this and unbuyable that. supplied by his team...cos they want their product to get the showing it deserves under a rider of that standard.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Peaty's done a few XC races in his time too.

But yes, the folks racing top end DH do get out on the XC bike, for the same reason I do. Sitting on the road bike spinning up the turbo trainer is deeply uninteresting and doesn't let you develop as a rider, where as some of the best descents in the UK are at the top of the worst climbs.

Get out and ride.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, the top pros get their kit from the sponsors.
  • canada16
    I wonder if they have any old kit they can give me. . :lol:
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    DH riders are actually very fit-it may surprise you, these guys are not just downhill balls out animals but are true athletes.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • i find it pretty funny how if you ask your average weekend downhiller what they think of road bike and xc bikes they would simply call them gay but yet i wouldn't be remotly surprised if the pros spend more time on road and xc bikes than they do on their dh bikes, alot do alot of motocross too,
  • When you say all variations Weeksy59, do you reckon that includes Trials?! can't see Sam Hill drifting a Koxx or Onza round some Edinborough street trials, Danny Mac style!
  • Anonymous
    Actually, Remy, I know that at least Steve Peat, and Rob warner are pretty good at trials. Probably not up to Martyn Ashton, Danny Mac, Chris Akrigg etc level, but still better than most riders.
    Bike control is bike control, at the end of the day.