Cortisone

markwalker
markwalker Posts: 953
edited November 2009 in Pro race
re the BBC article on Paula Radcliffe.

This is not an attempt to slur Paula Radcliffe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/8337272.stm

I read on the BBC this morning that Paula, who has had problems with her knee had a cortisone injection in the days leading up to the New York Marathon. Now Im sure shes got a TUE for that, but doesnt it seem odd that that should be accepted for other endurance sports but not for Cycling?

And out of competition surely doesnt apply a couple of days before an event??

Confused of England

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    You hear about this quite frequently in football and rugby too. I agree that it's quite odd that no-one bats an eyelid... especially in something like marathon running. I mean, if she has a genuine injury, having a painkilling injection and then running 26 miles is not going to help her heal, is it? She must be making it worse.
  • Intra-articular or local cortisone injection is a pretty common treatment, even for competative cycling.
    Yes, she would have been better to have not run, but since an athlete's career is generally pretty short, the benefits ($200,000) would outweight the risks (Off the circuit for some months).
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    afx237vi wrote:
    You hear about this quite frequently in football and rugby too. I agree that it's quite odd that no-one bats an eyelid... especially in something like marathon running. I mean, if she has a genuine injury, having a painkilling injection and then running 26 miles is not going to help her heal, is it? She must be making it worse.

I've gotten a Cortisone injection for tendinitis and can testify that they work. Of course, that was an inflammation issue more than actual physical "damage". If inflammation were the problem then she probably have less chance of "making it worse" than if the problem
    was a partially torn this or that or wear and tear issues. Then again I'm no doctor but that's my story.