Rear shock guard for Scott Genius?

silveringsurfer
silveringsurfer Posts: 225
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Hi - I notice that some bikes fit a small plastic mudguard to prevent dirt getting into the rear shock. Has anyone made one (DIY) to fit their Scott Genius? I know the Genius has a pull shock so less succeptable to ingesting crud but there are still plenty of moving parts to protect. Any ideas? :?:
Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89

Comments

• Dude, just made one last week

Got a crund catcher and chopped of the lower 3/5ish and then just mounted it with the elastic tie round the shock (I have an aspect full sus with the LCR shock but I guess the shock is a similar size),

Just cut it till it fits nice, only thing it would not do was protect the front mech as the angle of the shock makes the guard catch on it so had to cut above it. the soft plastic front bit on the 08 onward crudsfits nice up against the shock linkage

I'll try and post a pic
  • Nice idea - hadn't considered mounting it to the shock. Pic would be great.
  • Daft question, how do I post the pic in the body of the reply

I've got the pics taken, ready to go
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    bigmart wrote:
    Daft question, how do I post the pic in the body of the reply

I've got the pics taken, ready to go
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12611059
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Fingers crossed
    02-11-09007.jpg
    02-11-09006.jpg
  • doesn't keep all the crap off from splashing in puddles etc, but stops the shock being constanly sprayed

Thinking off a mkII versions connecting the crud to the lower link with old tubes to protect the front mech
  • Good effort I think I'm going to do the same although might try and get an older guard that's not quite so curved. I'd also considered attaching something to the bottom pivot but it would run very close to the rear tyre unless you pulled it back towards the shock and I'm not convinced it wouldn't clog too easily with mud getting forced down. Thanks for the pics 8)
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i used an inner tube atached at the for corners to the rear triandle via tie wraps and then one in the middle that goes around the shock itself.
    it worked wonders in afan last week.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    can you not get a large chain slap guard.
    and wrap it round the shock.
    although the genius shock is a tad on the chunky side. i use one on my remote seatpost thing just to make sure the junk stays out.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Ok - sorted it. I bought one of the older Crud race guards without the soft rubber nose. Found that I needed to cut it in half to get it to fit but then found that the slave cyclinder of the shock pushes the left side out too much and cuts down the clearance with the tyre. Then tried the back end of the guard and found that it works great AND is thin and soft enough to cover the front mech clamp etc!! 8) It all appears to work on the stand but need to ride it off road to check that it doesn't impede anything. I'll see if it works on Friday then take some photos if it does. The only down side is the other bit of the guard has the logo's on it and looked cooler :cry: Damn I am such a sucker for the brand names! :oops: