what to do?

jadamson
jadamson Posts: 644
edited November 2009 in MTB general
ok before i start im very indecisive :?

Ive currently got a carrera fury with upgraded bits (crossrides,v8's/spd's,grips) and although im liking the bike its not very fast not very strong infact ive just bent the seat rails. ive got £500 that i can spend on the bike and maybe another £200 ish next month.

what to do?!? :?

was thinking of maybe getting an on-one 456 and some revelations and a few more bits and swapping over the rest. would be strong and good downhill but uphill a bit of a pain?

or could keep the frame and upgrade some components but what? and im not sure i like the frame :?

sell the bike and but a new one? but then i wont get much more of an upgrade on the fury since sell price would be quite low.

or is there a cheap freeride aluminum frame kicking around that i dont know of?

someone please help me! i need pointing in a direction

EDIT: I want to use the bike for trail centers so need to be able to get up hills quick as well as down. (ide like a full sus but i just dont have the cash)

Comments

• If a bike's slow, from experience I can tell you the rider is slow, usually from lack of confidence in the bike itself. Bent seat rails doesn't mean a bike is not very strong, a saddle upgrade sorts that out.. a WTB Rocket Race for example

The Carerra Fury in itself in not a bad bike at all, I'd be looking at the obvious things like riding position, grip, brakes, handling and so forth. Learn to wring the Fury's neck and you'll ride an improved bike even better.

As for cheap frames, CRC have some bargains on the go but a frame upgrade may not be the panacea you're looking for.
  • sell the fury and put it with the £700 and go get another bike im not saying the fury is no good its just not worth upgrading too much.
    I think you would be better off buying a new bike.

If your not bothered about brand names find a HT with the best fork and brakes you can find for the money.

I dont think you would get a good FS for the money you have unless you go second hand.
  • If a bike's slow, from experience I can tell you the rider is slow, usually from lack of confidence in the bike itself. Bent seat rails doesn't mean a bike is not very strong, a saddle upgrade sorts that out.. a WTB Rocket Race for example

The Carerra Fury in itself in not a bad bike at all, I'd be looking at the obvious things like riding position, grip, brakes, handling and so forth. Learn to wring the Fury's neck and you'll ride an improved bike even better.

As for cheap frames, CRC have some bargains on the go but a frame upgrade may not be the panacea you're looking for.

+1 i agree you could spend some of the money on a mtb course to learn to ride it fast.
  • jadamson
    im not slow by any means i just feel like the bike isnt very confident inspiring :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    £700 plus £300 from selling the bike = a big choice of full sussers.

Are you running the bike at max front travel? Nice big grippy tyres? WHy not strong, just because you bent a saddle?!
  • jadamson
    i guess what i ment was how do i make the bike better? :? making me better is a must as well but i want a machine that will keep me smiling and wanting more :) i guess i just love new bike stuff and want to buy something but my serious head tells me that with a carrera frame its not worth while.
  • jadamson
    supersonic wrote:
    £700 plus £300 from selling the bike = a big choice of full sussers.

Are you running the bike at max front travel? Nice big grippy tyres? WHy not strong, just because you bent a saddle?!

No i change the travel quite a lot depending on the conditions. i like it at 80-100 but if it gets hairy i crank it to 120 but rarely the full 130. i need some winter tyres for grip anyway so will be getting some regardless

saddle was an example, ive also buckled both wheels beyond repair hense the crossrides. would you take one of a drop off? :?
  • Its probably the fork mate i had a carrera kraken and it was a lot better when i upgraded the forks also good brakes can makes all the difference once you know you have the stopping power you find you ride quicker IMO

I now have a boardman pro 08 that i got for £845 in june cause it was the last one left so if you wait till next year might be able to get a bargain.
  • supersonic
    Sure, it is an AM bike, it will take some hammer! Forks are very tough, frame is tough - ok, wheels could be better, but sounds like they weren't very well built, and I wouldn't say the crossrides are any better really.
  • supersonic
    lastwords wrote:
    Its probably the fork mate i had a carrera kraken and it was a lot better when i upgraded the forks also good brakes can makes all the difference once you know you have the stopping power you find you ride quicker IMO

I now have a boardman pro 08 that i got for £845 in june cause it was the last one left so if you wait till next year might be able to get a bargain.

The Kraken has a Suntour XCR - this has a Tora 318 Uturn!
  • supersonic wrote:
    lastwords wrote:
    Its probably the fork mate i had a carrera kraken and it was a lot better when i upgraded the forks also good brakes can makes all the difference once you know you have the stopping power you find you ride quicker IMO

The Kraken has a Suntour XCR - this has a Tora 318 Uturn!

Yeah my bad just had a look at the latest incarnation of this bike and saw it was the tora so ignore my previous post :oops:
  • jadamson
    also the tektro brakes are actually very good despite the price.

so shall i do anything? apart from new saddle and grippy tyres that i needed anyway?

save up the money for another year or so? :?

thank so far :D
  • supersonic
    Thing with the Fury is that it is really an £800 bike with that level of kit.

So I'd just put a new saddle on, get those tyres, maybe run at 130 all the time for more stabilty and enjoy it!

Keep an eye o the cranks though, the only real weak link.
  • jadamson
    supersonic wrote:
    Thing with the Fury is that it is really an £800 bike with that level of kit.

So I'd just put a new saddle on, get those tyres, maybe run at 130 all the time for more stabilty and enjoy it!

Keep an eye o the cranks though, the only real weak link.

i think your first line sums up my problem :? because i only paid £430 for it i guess i feel like its not actually a very good bike but the level of kit is very good so i guess i need to get rid of the weak links (only saddle,tyres and cranks to go) and it should be good.

are the standard post,stem,bars any good? merlin are doing some good combo raceface deals at the moment or is it just not worth it?
  • Just been looking on halfords website i though my brother in law had a fury but he hasnt he has a vulcan thats why i was mixed up. the bars and stem from race face would probably be lighter cant see it making the bike feel much different unless you change stem length and bar width / type.

just ride it and replace bits as they wear out
  • supersonic
    The standard stuff is decent kit. The Raceface stuff on offer is decent kit, but not really any better (except the real top end stuff).

If in doubt weigh it, but more weight usually means more strength...
  • jadamson
    ok thank for the help guys :D ill order a charge spoon saddle and some winter tyres later and just replace if need be from then on. ill continue to save and maybe one day i can afford that Yeti 575 i want :twisted: hehe i wish :roll:
  • toslow
    toslow Posts: 85
    Sounds to me like you have a bit of money burning a hole in your pocket .
    I recon you should change the bits you need to change , and only the bits you need to change . The fury is a great bike .
    Maybe you should just hang onto it until .
    1) You know what sort of rig you really want to ride.and
    2) You have the money to buy the said rig you want to ride.
    We all do it , throw money at our bikes, but sometimes you have to wonder if you really need to spend the money , and if the new shiny things will actually improve your riding experience.
    But What ever you do , get them tyres on and go get muddy .
  • jadamson
    toslow wrote:
    Sounds to me like you have a bit of money burning a hole in your pocket .
    I recon you should change the bits you need to change , and only the bits you need to change . The fury is a great bike .
    Maybe you should just hang onto it until .
    1) You know what sort of rig you really want to ride.and
    2) You have the money to buy the said rig you want to ride.
    We all do it , throw money at our bikes, but sometimes you have to wonder if you really need to spend the money , and if the new shiny things will actually improve your riding experience.
    But What ever you do , get them tyres on and go get muddy .

Thats my game plan :D its very confusing though when you have £500 and you really want to spend it on bike stuff, i guess a saddle and some tyres will have to do me :lol: ill continue to save and maybe mid-end of next year ill have enough money for a new rig :D
  • jadamson
    what about getting a Ragley mmmbop frame and just slowly buying stuff in the sales until its built? http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/just-in-ragley-mmmbop-23813 im really liking this frame and on-one are selling the revelation for £275 at the mo...

just ordered the charge spoon ti in brown from wiggle =)
  • supersonic
    Why not just get the revealation and see how you get on for now?

Not sure the frame is any better suited than what you have except it can take some more travel.
  • jadamson
    ok ill get the forks first then maybe frame later... just a quick question as the mmmbop has a 1.5" headtube can i still run a 1 1/8" fork with a special headset? if so what would this headset be (link)? cheers :D
  • supersonic
    Yes, you need reducer cups or a step down headset.