Endura quality issues.

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Over the past year to 18 months I've had quite a few issues with the quality of Endura clothing and wondered if anyone else has any stories to tell. My LBS thinks I jinxed :lol:

My LBS never question about replacing the items, just hand over a new pair of whatever it is and I suppose take it up with Endura.

Some of the issues I've had are:

Full monty gloves, after a couple of rides they started to split at the seam along the index finger, took them back and got a replacement, second pair are on their way now.

Cirrus cycling jersey, Close the zip up after putting it on and it opens up again after the zippers gone up. Not exchanged it beacuse I can make do with it and kind of given up.

Rebound Jacket. Brilliant bit of kit, after the first wash as per the label all the reflective transfers came off. Took it back exchanged it second one's gone the same way.

Thermolite long bibs with clips. The seam just above the knee came appart and the stiching in the padding came away leaving the padding loose. Took endura nearly 6 weeks to get a new pair to me. Took the new ones to CyB at the weekend, opened the packaging, took the labels off and put em on only to find a split in the seam on the outside of the upper thigh. Exchanged them again.

I've not gone back to exchange the gloves, jersey and jacket because I've kind of given up and feel a bit of a tw@t going in all the time. The kit doesn't get abused, I get out riding 4-6 times a month if I'm lucky with having kids.

I have a couple of other windproof jackets which are fine and I can't faulf their shorts.

I spoke to guy in a bike shop in the lakes about endura and at the time they had stopped stocking them until they sorted out their quality issues.

I want to spend a fair few quid on a new lightweight waterproof but unsure wether I should go down the endura route.
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Had gloves and shorts liners from Endura split along the seams. If they get beyond the first ride or two the stuff seems pretty durable. If they could get their manufacturing quality up it their stuff would be real value for money. That said I've also had a good few other items (mainly liners and shorts) from them which have been fine.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    there cheap jerseys start to unpluck from first ride and the shorts rip when you fall into a chain ring but kind of expected :lol:
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Good way of stopping seams coming apart, dab of black silicone sealant, works a treat bit of a bodge i know but you'd be surprised how much longer shorts last because of it.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    scale20 wrote:
    Over the past year to 18 months I've had quite a few issues with the quality of Endura clothing and wondered if anyone else has any stories to tell. My LBS thinks I jinxed :lol:

My LBS never question about replacing the items, just hand over a new pair of whatever it is and I suppose take it up with Endura.

Some of the issues I've had are:

Full monty gloves, after a couple of rides they started to split at the seam along the index finger, took them back and got a replacement, second pair are on their way now.

Cirrus cycling jersey, Close the zip up after putting it on and it opens up again after the zippers gone up. Not exchanged it beacuse I can make do with it and kind of given up.

Rebound Jacket. Brilliant bit of kit, after the first wash as per the label all the reflective transfers came off. Took it back exchanged it second one's gone the same way.

Thermolite long bibs with clips. The seam just above the knee came appart and the stiching in the padding came away leaving the padding loose. Took endura nearly 6 weeks to get a new pair to me. Took the new ones to CyB at the weekend, opened the packaging, took the labels off and put em on only to find a split in the seam on the outside of the upper thigh. Exchanged them again.

I've not gone back to exchange the gloves, jersey and jacket because I've kind of given up and feel a bit of a tw@t going in all the time. The kit doesn't get abused, I get out riding 4-6 times a month if I'm lucky with having kids.

I have a couple of other windproof jackets which are fine and I can't faulf their shorts.

I spoke to guy in a bike shop in the lakes about endura and at the time they had stopped stocking them until they sorted out their quality issues.

I want to spend a fair few quid on a new lightweight waterproof but unsure wether I should go down the endura route.

Well you would buy substandard products which is common practice for such companies that make such garments ... soley to make profit from .

Oh and by the way did you happen to read the washin instructions while you were at it ???
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Well you would buy substandard products which is common practice for such companies that make such garments ... soley to make profit from .

What other reason would they be in business for it wasn't to solely make a profit?

I'm sorry to break this to you but making a profit is common practise for most companies irrespective of what they make.

So which clothing manufacturer would you recommend that aren't in it for profit?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    scale20 wrote:
    ...wondered if anyone else has any stories to tell.
    I've got quite a bit of Endura kit (jackets, bibs, shorts, liners, hat, leg/knee warmers, glasses) and the only comment I would make is that everything (even the glasses) is very 'roomy'.

I don't really take care of any of it and although a few seams have come loose and some decals have worn off, otherwise it's all OK.
  • nothing but nothing but superb quality from all my Endura stuff. Gets used most days. I don't think I've ever had anything from them which has 'failed. My 3/4s are about dead after 4 years regular use, but that's owing to a dog bite which took out most of the left thigh ;)
  • My Humvee shorts split at the seam, this was after a year of solid abuse so not really upset.
  • I have loads of Endura kit but have not experienced anywhere near the amount of problems you have. I had to send a pair of shorts back to have a new insert stitched in and my FS260 bibshort have a bit of stitching come loose but other than that no problems at all... I hope your kit issues get resolved quickly...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I have a few Endura items:

Zyme shorts
    Singletrack trousers
    Several pairs of socks (maybe 10 pairs)
    Jersy
    Merino base layer
    Transmision base layer

Never had any problems with any of them.

I also have a Convert II jacket but dispite having it for a few months, I've never had need to use it in anger so I cant really judge that one just yet.

Pretty happy with Endura kit at the mo.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    I pretty much wear Endura shorts all year round. Only problem I've had - other than sizing, which is solved by trying stuff on first - was a pair of singletrack shorts with a popper so strong the material tore rather than the popper unpopping. CRC changed 'em without quibble and the replacement pair are my default summer shorts.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I do have a problem with the shorts actually.

They're a little too baggy now and with the draw-straps pulled as tight as they will go they are a little slack around my midriff having lost a little wieght since starting riding.

Need to buy a new pair in a size smaller :(
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I have a Gridlock jacket and Thermalite Clip Bib Longs. No complaints about either.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    scale20 wrote:

On this, get a pair of pliers and *gently* squeeze the top and bottom of the zip together.

HERE:
    ..........\/
    ^^^^^^^^^
    ## ||
    ^^^^^^^^^
    ........../\

Where ## is the zip the zipper is permenantly attached to, || is the centre of the zipper body and ^^^^ is the top/bottom of the zipper body, /\ are your pliers.
  • scale20
    colintrav wrote:

Oh and by the way did you happen to read the washin instructions while you were at it ???

If you read the post properly I have said I washed the kit as per the label.

Although I've had some issues with the gear I have bought I would say that it's nowhere near substandard, I find that their gear is affordable and does the job I buy it for and every bit of kit has been exchanged no questions asked. It wont stop me buying endura gear in the future, all I wanted from this post was an idea of problems experienced by other riders. However if you know of a non profit making clothing manufacturer I think we would all like to know.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20
    zanes wrote:
    scale20 wrote:

On this, get a pair of pliers and *gently* squeeze the top and bottom of the zip together.

HERE:
    ..........\/
    ^^^^^^^^^
    ## ||
    ^^^^^^^^^
    ........../\

Where ## is the zip the zipper is permenantly attached to, || is the centre of the zipper body and ^^^^ is the top/bottom of the zipper body, /\ are your pliers.

I get what you mean, I will give it a try. Cheers.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Got Endura Singletracks - both short and 3/4 length. Brilliant bits of kit.}
    Also got Endura overshoe/boot things - great on the three occasions I used them!

I think their kit is great.

Wash with Nikwax Tech Wash then Tx direct and you get cut price totally waterproof and breathable clobber too.
  • SIngletrack shorts split after 6 mths average use
    jersey shrunk
    other t shirt rear pockets fell apart...!
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • Not really had an issue with quality just sizing... got a pair of humvee shorts that fit perfectly (although the liners were tiny so binned them), size small, ordered replacement Zyme shorts in the same size and they are f'ing massive, at least two sizes bigger that i'd expect them to be, read they are for over bodyarmour, I only own one set of body armour, and they are still too big over that, think their size model must have been eating a lot lately... no one ive used before stocks xs either it seems...
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    I have a pair of their shorts for nearly a year now and they have been great, more than happy to buy more of their kit.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I have quite a lot of Endura stuff (including a Rebound jacket like the OP's) and no quality issues here. Singletrack shorts are my current favorite.
  • I've got loads of Endura kit, it's made just along the road, and it's all done exactly what it says on the tin, with the exception of the Superlite waterproof shorts. They're about as waterproof as a teabag. My Humvee shorts, on the other hand, are fantastic and totally indestructible.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Just sold most of my Endura stuff. Found the unlined jackets too sweaty/not breathable as advertised.

Found their fit a bit tight, but then I am made of 100% Pure Welsh Beef...
    Not a spaghetti legged roadie.

Only thing left is my old green Montana jacket for crappy days. Tear in shoulder from barbed wire - may have happened in Hanoi, late 60's - otherwise it's ok, but heavy.
  • This won't help, but last weekend we drove past the Endura factory....twice! i know...earth shattering isn't it :lol:
    Caz xxx
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Ive found my Endura Superlite shorts as waterproof as a paper bag. My clickfast liner shorts disintergrated too.

IMO tho, I find loads of quality problems with loads of different manufacturers.

My adidas powerweb shorts - disintergrated
    adidas powerweb t-shirt - disintergrated
    adidas predator football boots - fall apart after 10 games max
    Scott gloves - stitching came apart
    sealskinz socks - stitching bust
    dare2b jacket - zip bust
    ive gone through 3 breo sport watches - all craply made
    topeak pump - failed

and these are just fairly recent problems
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • In fairness, I still buy Endura stuff. It's been one item that hasn't lived up to their hype, all the rest are top drawer.
  • scale20
    deffler wrote:
    Ive found my Endura Superlite shorts as waterproof as a paper bag. My clickfast liner shorts disintergrated too.

IMO tho, I find loads of quality problems with loads of different manufacturers.

My adidas powerweb shorts - disintergrated
    adidas powerweb t-shirt - disintergrated
    adidas predator football boots - fall apart after 10 games max
    Scott gloves - stitching came apart
    sealskinz socks - stitching bust
    dare2b jacket - zip bust
    ive gone through 3 breo sport watches - all craply made
    topeak pump - failed

and these are just fairly recent problems

You have made me feel so much better now :lol::lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.