Stage races for Cat 3's?

seanf
seanf Posts: 5
edited November 2009 in Amateur race
Hi, having taken part in several three day stage races in ireland i;m now interested in taking part in any stage race for cat3 and up anywhere in the UK sometime around June/July next year;

can anyone advise me on any good races worth taking part in?

i'm willing to travel so distance is not a problem.

Cheers

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    seanf wrote:
    Hi, having taken part in several three day stage races in ireland i;m now interested in taking part in any stage race for cat3 and up anywhere in the UK sometime around June/July next year;

can anyone advise me on any good races worth taking part in?

i'm willing to travel so distance is not a problem.

The Surrey League's Pearson 5 day in the last week of June normally is a great stage race - it's a 2/3 race, but I had no trouble as a 3rd in it. Good courses, fun race.

There's also The Ras De Cymru which is a 2/3/4 which this year was the first week in July, no idea on that one, I didn't do it.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Not in your time frame but FYI for others Surrey League also organise a good 3 day over the Easter weekend.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Etape de la defonce in south wales in May (3/4 cat) - Ras de Cymru i(2/3/4 cat)n July (IIRC both are team based )

SL 5 day end of June (2/3/4) and Easter 3 day (3/4).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    +1 for the Ras de Cymru. You will probably need a few days leave though as it is during the week. It is team based but not sure if you can enter a composite team or as an individual. Will speak to some club mates who have done it and the Etape de la Defence a few times.

EDIT

Ras is open to teams and individuals (not sure how individuals take part in the TTT - assume this is run separately to the GC?) more info here http://www3.newport.ac.uk/displayPage.aspx?object_id=1340&type=PAG=
  • Dess1e
    For the Ras - it is open to composite teams.

Individuals not in a team will be teamed up with 3 other individual riders for the TTT. Priority for entry is given to teams of 4 (inc composites) though staying in the Uni accomodation.
  • i am interested in doing the ras, and my club could make up 2 or 3 good teams, as living in guernsey we rarely get ranking points so probably have a fair few 2nd adn 3rd cats who if raced in england all the time would be 1st cats, but other 2,3 races i have done, seem to be very negative and very stop start in terms of speed anyone know if the ras is like this?
  • Dess1e
    The Ras is pretty hilly, and I'd have to guess a very good standard of 2nd cat, including retired ex internationals this year. I'd like to give more details, but had a nightmare of a race and spent most of it out of th eback on my way to collecting the Lantern Rouge. There were a couple of good Island riders in the Dorset Tour this year (forgot that stage race - another 2/3/4 in August).
  • I don't care what anyone says... the best stage race for amatuers is the Tour of Sardinia.

It's a 7 day stage race including a granfondo, ITT, TTT and moutain stage. I've done it the last 3 years and see myself doing this most years.

It's held a little earlier though, normally the 3 week in April but is a great week to get you in some proper racing form for the summer!

There are generally 140-180 in the peleton ranging from elite to cat 4. (top 50 cat 1, 50-100 cat 2-3 etc...)

Weather has always been perfect at that time, very little rain if any and not stupidly hot.

Registration is 100euros, flights with ryan air are chep, its just the hotel/ accomodation you choose, is around 300-500euro (all inclusive).

Stage profiles are up on the webiste, it will be translated to english soon but you can get the idea. The bonus is that there is an english speaking couple that volunteer to orgainse/ translate the race for english speaking (for bookings etc)

Usually you would go as a team of 6, but it doesnt matter, for the TTT the put you with others close in the GC.

http://www.girosardegna.it/

The support is amazing...motorbikes and cars for atleast 2-3 peletons breaks, police at juntions for clsoures, after 650km of cycling each year I've never had to stop on the road.
    Feed stations are excellent....
  • jibberjim
    How does the Tour of Sardina work if you're not E/1 though? Are you off the back on your own, or does a good second group with lower cats form so you're not out there alone?

You're fast! How's it going to be for the rest of us?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Dess1e wrote:
    The Ras is pretty hilly, and I'd have to guess a very good standard of 2nd cat, including retired ex internationals this year. I'd like to give more details, but had a nightmare of a race and spent most of it out of th eback on my way to collecting the Lantern Rouge. There were a couple of good Island riders in the Dorset Tour this year (forgot that stage race - another 2/3/4 in August).

I'll race you for that title once I'm ready (probably 2011 race) - won the Lantern Rouge in the Gwent 2 Day as a junior, 1 hour 45 min behind despite finishing the prologue hill climb in the top 25% :lol:
  • des, its me matt, stayed at same b&b for dorset tour, how were you after that fall on the last stage?
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Dess1e wrote:
    Nice one Des. I hope you'll be back with an avengence next year. The RAS is a real reality check for your average 3rd cat flat lander :wink:
  • Dess1e
    des, its me matt, stayed at same b&b for dorset tour, how were you after that fall on the last stage?

Hi Matt,

I was ok just a bit of road rash. - Still not sure what happened on that bend, as I went round it faster the previous lap. Worse bit was scuffing my white shoes :cry:

How'd the rest of your season go?
  • HI Jim,

I'm not that fast... I typically spent half the week getting dropped from the yellow jersey group on the main climbs but managed to get myself in another peleton of anything from 5-50. If when you get dropped there's always a big effort trying to chase the lead group (this can last most of the race, but sometimes "out of sight out of mind" kicks in and the pace slows down and becomes alot more comfortable.

Saying that my team mate managed to break away this year on the mountain stage only 10km in and stayed out all day- he was no threat to jersey (top 20 still) and managed to get a good lead.

There are ex Italian pros/vets racing, alot of youth development coming through but you'd be suprised that most riders are aged 30-40 and are cat 2-4- there are only a handful of teams actually in the position to challenge for podium.
    Talking over dinner with other riders I met there, for some it was their first ever taste of racing, let alone stage racing and he always managed to settle into a group.
    Most keen sportive riders could get through the week with their head held high- they will just be working harder chasing the group infront of them :lol:

I cant wait for next year.... It's one of my highlights on the calender for sure, it's a bit more interesting than your usual BC calender and better value for money than a short break to do La marmotte etc..
  • jibberjim
    Ironman595 wrote:
    I'm not that fast...

5:08 up Box Hill suggests otherwise :)

But I'm feeling pretty keen to give it a go, unfortunately though commuters are currently passing me regularly in the park, so I'm not so sure what sort of shape I'll be in...
  • Ok... I can climb a little :wink:

If you are interested contact peter/ anne- they're great people that would give you much more of info than I can...
    http://www.peteranne.it/index_Page367.htm

Or check out my clubs forum on http://www.gshenley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18 for any further advise...

commuters or not.... it's winter now... you got plenty of time :D

Cheers
    Tom
  • a few people went down in that crash i think des, i was lucky to avoid it having heard shouts to prewarn me, didnt really do much after that race, mainly just tts overhere, how about you?
  • seanf
    seanf Posts: 5
    Many thanks for all your comments folks....
    busy now checking out you suggestions

Regards

Sean
  • Kirky
    Kirky Posts: 459
    Another vote here for the Dorset 3 Day - although I didn't ride it I did spend three days in a car following the bunch running the neutral service. Have to say that I thought it was VERY well organised and great fun to work on. Mark (the event organiser) does a great job and I think the fact he doesn't do it on a Bank Holiday weekend is even better - yes you might need to book a day off work, but at least it means no getting in the way of family time on Bank Holidays!!

Not sure of the date for 2010 yet, but I'm seeing Mark tomorrow so will get the dates from him then (I think he's booking us in to do neutral service for a number of his events).

Also, I seem to remember there was a 3/4 stage race called the Sussex Tour (??) which I think was a bolt on to the Junior edition. As a 3/4 only that would be a good one too.

KIRKY
    Las Vegas Institute of Sport