Chondromalacia aka Runner's Knee

clwydian_rider92
clwydian_rider92 Posts: 416
edited November 2009 in Health, fitness & training
After completing the Merida 100km track in Ruthin, I had a really bad pain in my right knee in the knee-cap area. I hadn't had this pain before and discovered I have this ^. I rested my knee for 2 and half weeks. After a couple of rides my knee was fine however yesterday after 25mile ride my knee startd hurting again.

Has anyone had this before and what are the causes (I don't do running) but could it be caused by having my cleats set up wrong and therefore twisting my knee slighlty as I ride?

Responses much appreciated.
Giant XTC SE 2006
Cube LTD Race 2009
Trek Fuel EX 9

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you sure that's what you have? How did you get it doagnosed?
    I've had a serious issue with my knee most of this year, but have only found out in the last 4 weeks or so that I had a partially dislocated knee at some point.
    Before that, I was told all kinds of suggestions, all of which turned out to be bogus.

Best bet for advice is to ask your physio, they'll be able to advise you on SPDs, positioning etc, based on studying your knees, rather than some wild guess from an internet forum user.
  • Last time I went to my doctor, he actually used the internet to diagnose me with Osgodd Sclatter disease. He referred me to a physio and all it was to stretch my hamstring. As for the diagnosis I have searched all of the internet and looked in several medical books and the symptoms are exactly the same. I know that it might not be accurate. :oops:
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • Anonymous
    Hmm. The reason I was asking is that I really want to get a definite diagnosis of my knee.
    The excercises the physio's given me appear to be making it worse. hmm.
    I was hoping you'd have found the best way to get it sorted, short of going private!
  • I was diagnosed with Chondromalacia patella after having keyhole on my knee due to it giving way on me. I was told that with gradually increased exercise I would be able to strengthen up my muscles around my knee to support the kneecap. I now have a achey knee a few times a week, clicks loudly and occasionally still pops out.
    I've been told I can have more keyhole to smooth out the cartilidge, but once all my cartilidge is gone then its a knee replacement and at 26 its not something I really want to consider!

Would recommend checking your cleats, I have to check my pedal stroke and find certain postions will make my knee ache (high heels- I am a woman!, lots of using the clutch if stuck in traffic) but also get to a good sports physio who can give you exercises to strengthen up those muscles!

Good luck!
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    go to a good sports physio and get it checked out.
    when i had runners knee fron running i went and was amazed. I didn't think he'd be able to diagnose what it was as it didn't hurt until i was 5 or 6 miles into a run however within 5 minutes of manipulation and pressure and was howling in pain.

The thing with runners knee is it's hardly ever the knee that's the problem, it's either caused from higher up around hip/bum or it's from you ankle/foot. The treatments are very different.

Do yourself a favour, get it properly diagnosed, then you can start on the right corrections be that strengthening your glutes or adjusting your cleats
  • Anonymous
    mea00csf wrote:
    within 5 minutes of manipulation and pressure and was howling in pain.
    Bloody hell. I won't be doing that then :lol:

My Physiotherapist is gorgeous, and she touches me in ways I've never been touched before :lol: