It's very wet and windy out there today, guys and gals!

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Just come back from a great ride absolutely soaked. It was pouring when I left and most of the ride. As soon as I get home the bloody sun comes out! :lol:

I do appear to have returned with a rather gritty-sounding bb though. I haven't had that bloody thing two minutes either!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• kdw712
    kdw712 Posts: 72
    me and my mate managed about 2miles then we abandoned as we appeared to be going backwards despite pedalling forwards :D so completely soaked we headed home and half way me mate got a puncture just to finish the ride off ..... :roll: :cry:
  • One of those days eh, kdw? :(

I was out for approx. two and a half hours and had a really good ride. However, I somehow managed to return with wet feet too...even though I was wearing my Sealskinz! :?
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • horrible today, woke up this morning, went out came straight back in. waited till 1pm rain had stopped.loaded car up went to woods, 100yards later chain snapped, slung bike back in car went to halfords for chain removal tool, got home fixed bike then it started to get dark. too late

annoyed, havent rofe my new bike yetl have to wait another week
    Carerra Fury 08
  • crust
    crust Posts: 27
    Had a brilliant ride at Swindley.

Did our usual start then met a very kind man who showed us a superb downhill and took us to the start of the one with the bridge and tank track, did both of them a couple of times.

Then seemed to find route after route, top day out.

Some routes were one long puddle.

Time to buy some mudguards.

:) crust
  • tombate911
    tombate911 Posts: 1,590
    was surposed to be off out trail building today, but i woke up heard the wind and rain on my windows and turned over and went back to sleep, ill save the digging for next weekend instead now, looks like winters started properly now, :(
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have spent most of the day in the shed I have

Repaired 4 puntured inner tubes

Trued a buckled wheel

fitted new bearings to my Bottom Bracket cups

Repaired a left hand shifter that wouldnt change up

Filled 2 bin bags full of broken and worn out crap

Ridinng bikes NAAH vastly overrated
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    weather very crap today.
    good job i went riding yestday in sun 8)
  • saltyman
    saltyman Posts: 472
    the rain has stopped and the and wind has picked up for the worse up here in northumberland...........

i expect lots of damage to my local patch next time im up (kielder forest) glad i had a great time there yesterday.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Horrendous conditions today up in the Dales. About 20 of us were out. Ride got canned after 7 miles due to driving rain and wind (we were already soaked before leaving the carpark). 14 people got punctures mainly thanks to a tidy farmer having cut his hedges. I managed to rip off my rear mech, wind blew me into a big patch of heather which then tangled the mech ripping it off. Destroyed the mech hanger, damaged the mech and bent a jockey wheel :evil: Couple that with the new BB before the ride, been a rather expensive week really.

Johnny, I had Gortex boots and sealskinzs on and still managed to fill my boots with water, could feel it squishing between my toes.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Johnny, I had Gortex boots and sealskinzs on and still managed to fill my boots with water, could feel it squishing between my toes.

Not just me then? I ended up taking my socks off in the kitchen, which produced two very nice puddles on the floor! :shock:

Hi, Honey! I'm home!
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Even before settin out the weather was gonna be pish anyways no matter what going out in bad/crap/pishy weather imo your ethier

A thrillseeker
    or

B - Aff yer heed period

or

C - Can't be bothered with the other half in laws so yer lookin for an excuse to avoid em at all costs or she is watchin the deluxe edition of Eastenders that's enough to make any cyclists go out for a ride lol
  • colintrav
    Johnny, I had Gortex boots and sealskinzs on and still managed to fill my boots with water, could feel it squishing between my toes.

Not just me then? I ended up taking my socks off in the kitchen, which produced two very nice puddles on the floor! :shock:

Hi, Honey! I'm home!

Shop owner musta seen you coming nae wonder he sold you em dodgy crap excuse of a boots ...

lol
  • Shop owner musta seen you coming nae wonder he sold you em dodgy crap excuse of a boots ...

I had 5-10's on, which I absolutely love, but as we all know...they don't offer too much protection when the weather gets wet! I was more amazed by how much water I had in my Sealskinz! :? 've been out in worse weather, and my feet have been completely dry upon return.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    we did about 20 miles yesterday...

starting at Bowden near melrose...heading east...then in a big loop to north of the Eildons.....over the 3 peaks of the Eildons and back to Bowden.

It was raining when we started....

it stopped when we were having a munch under a disused railway bridge (where we had lit a small fire to dry out a bit...top idea...it worked a treat and I would do it again...)

Then it just got windier and windier...the fog/clouds at the top of the Eildons was moving really quickly, so sometimes we could see...other times...not so much...

Then back to the van a bowden for a public strip to the pants and change into dry stuff for the journey back to edinburgh.

:D

I would categorise my riding mates and I in colintrav's list as quite firmly in the B with a good sprinkling of A mixed in for good measure...

with the additional thought that if you waited for good weather in scotland...you would never go out.

Great ride nonetheless :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • colintrav
    ^^^^

Well did ye have a wee hip flask n aw ? A wee nip now n again warms ye up long as ye don't over do it ..

What time did you start and finish ???
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    colintrav wrote:
    ^^^^

Well did ye have a wee hip flask n aw ? A wee nip now n again warms ye up long as ye don't over do it ..

What time did you start and finish ???

yes indeed....a wee hipper always comes with us......

picked up a mate in gala at about 12 - got a square sausage roll from the van...i guess started riding at about 1.....back in gala for about 5pm
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.