£600-£650 budget. Any suggestions?

smithricharde
smithricharde Posts: 16
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi

My bike was stolen so I was hoping to find something in the sales to replace it but there isn't much about. Any suggestions for what I could get for around the £600-£650 mark? I mainly ride for pleasure these days rather than racing.

Thanks

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Boardman Road Comp. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • I had a look at those and liked the feel of them. That was what I was leaning towards at the moment. I think there are 10% off vouchers about for Halfords at the moment as well.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    There's arguably little that comes close to the Comp at the price - it's a damned fine bike & very well specced. If you can get 10% off, even better! :D
    Cycling weakly
  • Nice looking bike for the dosh. Im going to have a butchers at one tonight!
    Out of interest, does anyone know what warrenty you get on the Boardman range?
  • Well, good ole Halfords!!!

Went to my local store last night after work to size up a Boardman, and with the 10% off voucher in hand, in i went. I made my way upstairs to the bike department, and i found the lovely looking Boardman range. Now at this time, there was only one person working on the bike department who was bombing around on a BMX. He rode said bike into the lift to take downstairs, to who i thought waa a paying customer.
    I watched over the balcony which looks out onto the shopfloor and he rode around the store on it, and after a while, stood with 3 other staff members at the checkout and proceeded to chat away without a care (or care for customers) in the world!

I carried on having a butchers around the bike department for in total about 20 minutes, and he still didnt come back upstairs! He knew i was up there because before he got into the lift, he rode right past me and made eye contact!

In the end i just got rather pished off and i just left and by this time the extremely busy Halfords staff members (Zero customers other than me waiting to spend £650.00) had made their way down to the back of the store, to busily carry on chatting!
    I would normally complain, but whats the point? Why do Boardman associate with Halfords? I will probably buy an Allez from my local, very helpful Cycles uk Store!!!
  • Escargot
    Escargot Posts: 361
    clarkie28 wrote:
    Why do Boardman associate with Halfords?

Sadly I think it's all about the ££££'s. Boardman has largely been a sucess with the exception of a number of folks on here and signing up with Halfords has spread the brand out right across the UK very quickly. If he tried that by targeting your LBS I very much doubt they would have taken on quite as well as they have.

Sadly most branches of Halfords are naff but given time I think they will break away (wishful thinking maybe ?).