Winter gloves - Recommendations wanted...

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited February 2010 in Road buying advice
I was going to buy some Pearl Izumi AmFib gloves, but they're now out of stock! :shock: :evil: Only XL available, I need M...
So, what is the preffered winter glove of the BR Forum?

Answers on a postca....
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Altura Nightvision for me.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I can recommend these as I used them all last Winter. Great for the wet as they grip well (I have cabon bars which become slippy). They have your size as well!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pearl-izumi/cyclone-gloves-ec011051?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Aggieboy wrote:
    I can recommend these as I used them all last Winter. Great for the wet as they grip well (I have cabon bars which become slippy). They have your size as well!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pearl-izumi/cyclone-gloves-ec011051?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

another vote for the cyclone - excellent gloves - they work well from high single figure temps down to about the freezing mark - very windproof, they don't hold a lot of water when wet and very easy to take care of - they are also very comfy although they feel "over-padded" to start with, it does soften down a bit in the first couple of rides..

I had a pair for about 2.5 years and loved them - they got ruined when a car knocked me off in january this year (tore the palm - but my hand was fine!) - i replaced them with a second set without question.
  • hugo15 wrote:

I asked this in a different thread - but do your fingers reach right to end of the outer glove?

I could have really done with a decent waterproof pair today as I managed to get soaked twice.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    hugo15 wrote:

I asked this in a different thread - but do your fingers reach right to end of the outer glove?

I could have really done with a decent waterproof pair today as I managed to get soaked twice.

Runs to garage ................. tries on glove ................ yep, there is a small gap at the top of each finger of about 1/2 cm.

I have had mine for a few years and they are different to this year's model in that they don't have the inner gloves.
  • hugo15 wrote:
    hugo15 wrote:

Runs to garage ................. tries on glove ................ yep, there is a small gap at the top of each finger of about 1/2 cm.

I have had mine for a few years and they are different to this year's model in that they don't have the inner gloves.

Gah - I've got a pair packed up to send back to Wiggle because my fingers didn't reach the end - but perhaps they're actually MEANT to be like that. :s
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Spesh Sub-Zeros work for me, keep the warmth in better than a couple of Sealskinz models I have (although the Sealskinz are great for wet but not too cold rides).
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    I was planning to get some of those nightvision gloves I must say.

Those PI gloves are a tad cheaper here: http://www.parker-international.co.uk/13436/Pearl-Izumi-8770-Cyclone-Glove---Black.html

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    A quick addition is that I have found the Altura Nightvisions here for £27.49 a pair:

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=9147

Free postage on orders over £35, but then am probably going to invest in 2 pairs (for me and my gf) so......

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Pearl Izumi Amfib gloves for me. They take a bit of getting used to with STI levers, but it's worth persevering.
  • hopper1
    Nuggs wrote:
    Pearl Izumi Amfib gloves for me. They take a bit of getting used to with STI levers, but it's worth persevering.

I'd love a pair, but I can't find them in a 'M' anywhere. If you know of any, let me know...
  • I didn't realise that finding a decent pair of winter gloves would be such a hassle.

So far I've received a pair of Altura Night Vision - which felt lovely (and I really liked the inner gloves) - but the fingers were too long - even though they were meant to be the correct size for me (large).

I received the Endura Strike today - and they felt fairly tight - and this time the fingers seemed to be too small!

Ah well - I guess it's my own fault for buying everything online, rather than in a LBS.

/runs off to order a pair of Pearl Cyclones
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Somewhere on the web is a review of the pearls, though can't find it now.
    It says the synthetic leather on the palms is useless and disintigrated in weeks.

Apparently, the pads push on the handlebars, putting a lot of strain above the palm. The bit of leather under the fingers just collapsed.

The photos looked bad!

Not got any winter gloves so I am only passing this info on.
  • gkerr4
    not my experience with two pairs `i have to say - the padding does feel bulky to begin with but settles down after a couple of rides and the fake leather stuff wore very well through two years and only tore in an accident - and even then it sacrificed itself to save my hand - which is fine by me!
  • gkerr4
    wow - that doesn't look good!- that's how mine looked after a couple of years and a car hitting me!
  • hopper1
    I was in a LBS today. Noticed the SealSkinz All Weather Cycle Gloves, liked the fit, so bought them! :shock:
    They felt ok on the first ride out, hopefully they'll work ok. I bought large, as this gives me a little room, should I need to put a thin layer under them.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    What about Pearl Izumi Barrier? A bit bulky but super warm/dry. Leather palms so grip & feel is good. Not cheap but worth it I reckon.
  • hopper1
    All PI kit has to ordered online, and I'd like to see it before I buy, really.
    The SealSkinz seem very good to me. They were nice and comfy on the bars, just enough gel in the palms.
    The weather wasn't too bad, today, so I can't say much else...
  • Scrumple
    I have narrowed it down to 2 (not the pearl's as the faux leather looks tacky and destined to be crap in the wet).

Gore Xenon
    Sealskinz Road winter gloves.

I see Hopper got the seal's, but there are the big ugly garden gloves ones, and the "road" ones which are more of a soft material. I like the latter, obviously!
  • i like the sealskinz thermal mountainbiking glove actually.

Very comfy, windproof and waterproof and very warm.

Got soaked in the downpour on sat, hands didn't even notice.

Today had to pull a huge log out of the river whilst safety launching for a regatta, squeezed the water out of the outer layer when done and fingers didn't even feel damp.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    i like the sealskinz thermal mountainbiking glove actually.

Very comfy, windproof and waterproof and very warm.

Got soaked in the downpour on sat, hands didn't even notice.

Today had to pull a huge log out of the river whilst safety launching for a regatta, squeezed the water out of the outer layer when done and fingers didn't even feel damp.

i use these too.they have been fine down to about freezing and definately keep your hands dry and warm when raining.
  • I like the Endura Strike... planning on buying my second pair soon as the first have worn out after 4 years or so. I saw some of the Gore range the other day and was impressed - they look well made and compact. Altura seemed a good price but rather bulky.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I like the Endura Strike... planning on buying my second pair soon as the first have worn out after 4 years or so. I saw some of the Gore range the other day and was impressed - they look well made and compact. Altura seemed a good price but rather bulky.

Best gloves I've ever had. Waterproof, windproof, and minus the bulk of others.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Probably can't be a full recommendation as I haven't used these in anger yet :
    http://outersports.com/head®-outlast-waterproof-ski-gloves-p-2952.html
    Picked up a pair at Costco for about £15 this week. I seem to suffer from cold fingertips when the temp drops towards zero and my recent Specialized gloves were no better than a cheapish pair of Altura ones and no better either than the £5 Aldi ones I picked up last year - all of these are fine until the temp is that little bit lower then I can be only 10 minutes into a ride when the cold starts to bite.
    Those Head ones feel a little bulky but I'm hoping that may reduce a little with use. Seemed worth a shot at that price. Have a pouch on the back of the glove for a headpack which I may try out.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Here's some food for thought

Where a pair of disposable rubber gloves under your normal pair then the warmth will improve a great deal
  • Scrumple
    Why not go the whole hog and put on a gimp mask as well?
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    Just to suggest another option - Altura Shield - I've had mine for nearly 5 years and have yet to have cold hands .... have cycled below 0 (only just) on icy roads and been fine. I don't like the cold either - so have been very pleased with them.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    APIII wrote:
    I like the Endura Strike... planning on buying my second pair soon as the first have worn out after 4 years or so. I saw some of the Gore range the other day and was impressed - they look well made and compact. Altura seemed a good price but rather bulky.

Best gloves I've ever had. Waterproof, windproof, and minus the bulk of others.

Useless for me. They let rain in pretty quickly and when they let the water in it stayed in with my hands getting frozen. Hated them with a vengence last year. Haven't got round to changing them yet so glad this thread has come up.

Great in the cold and wind though.

Will probably get the sealskinz.