Flat Pedals and 5-10 Shoes

Fully
Fully Posts: 257
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
I'm switching to flats for a while soon and wanted some opinions. I had a ride on a mates bike t'other day, he had v12's on and i couldn't believe how grippy they felt. Anyway, the Welgo copies, can i expect as much grip? Or are they just crap copies with unadjustable studs?

Also thinking of buying some 5-10 shoes to use with the flats after hearing a lot about how good they are. Anyone know how they size up? I normally wear size 9 trainers, but sometimes have to go up to a 10 with some brands. I will be buying online, so i won't be able to try them on beforehand, and it's a bit of a pain having to send stuff back.

Cheers
Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sizes are normal.

you will get the same grip but i preser the shape and size of the Slim Jims as i have size 9s and the V8 are too small.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    What is it that you like about the shape of the slim jims Nick? I really don't know what to look for in a flat pedal other than that they need to have plenty of grip.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • nicklouse
    they work well. and the amount of other companies that also use the same wellgo pedals as their house pedals is impressive.

but then there is the wellgo MG-1 which is also good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    They side up like normal shoes, if a little wider.

Really impressed with my Kona Wah Wah's, super grippy, very durable, still spinning smooth after 9 months of abuse and no maintenance.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    +1 for the kona wah wahs, i used to have v8s but switched to the konas and there loads better, and i used 5-10s on both
    what are brakes for again
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SUperstar do a chaper version of the Kona.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    supersonic wrote:
    SUperstar do a chaper version of the Kona.

Some say they arn't as good though.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Wellgo do all sorts of pedals, so it's not quite as simple as all that but the MG-1s are IMO slightly grippier than a V12. They're really very good. They're not huge mind, I like to have my foot slightly overlap the edge of the pedal, I like the feel of the sole molding slightly onto the cage, but that's personal preference no doubt.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    I have a pair of 5-10 Sam Hills that I use with Wellgo MG-1's and feet slipping off pedals is simply not an issue. Can thoroughly recommend 8)

As said above, sizing on 5-10's is normal - just order the size you would do usually.

Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    Another vote for v12's and 5-10's. Nice and grippy set-up, shoe sizes are in line with what i usually buy in other footwear
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    V8's and V12's are pretty old skool now really, most newer pedals are grippier, MG1's are certainly better.
    the only people who rate these pedals are people who aint tried better pedals.
    there are a few threads on here about pedals if ya do a search
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • SPIRO
    rhyko7 wrote:
    V8's and V12's are pretty old skool now

....and old school is cool you young whipper snapper 8)

ps - please use the Queens English.... skool = school :wink:
  • Northwind
    Yup, they're not old skool, they're just old. Don't understand why anyone would buy a V12 now tbh. V8 still has its merits, since they're tough as old boots.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • SPIRO
    Northwind wrote:
    Yup, they're not old skool, they're just old. Don't understand why anyone would buy a V12 now tbh.

Glad you took my comment with the humour with which it was intended :roll:
  • Northwind
    That was more aimed at rhyko...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • SPIRO
    Northwind wrote:
    That was more aimed at rhyko...

My bad - need to go to bed, getting all sensitive about everything tonight, dunno whats up with me ....apologies Northwind
  • Northwind
    No worries :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I can't compare the Superstars to any others because I've not tried the others, all I can say is that the Superstar Ultra Mags I have are amazingly grippy, even in running trainers my feet just don't come off. They are also lighter than the rest if weight is your thing. I've only done 30 odd miles in them, so cannot say how durable they are, but two years warranty makes me feel they are value for money.
    Ridley Orion
  • rhyko7
    i am old skool-ive been riding bikes for over 12 years, i still use V8's on one of my bikes, but they just arent as good as many other pedals. dont get me wrong there are much worse pedals out there, i think V8's/12's are a benchmark, which most companies have exceeded.
    im quite sure wellgo actually make the pedals for DMR and many other companies, hence i always just buy welgos as its cheaper.

my riding:

• supersonic
    Wellgo make almost all flat pedals you see.
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:
    Wellgo make almost all flat pedals you see.

unless they are made by VP.
  • supersonic
    Heh, I almost put and VP
  • rhyko7
    VP now thats def old skool, ive got a pair of them from about 1992 lol

my riding:

• I like the feel of V12's, don't like the MG-1's much, but would like some Wah Wah's or similar just for the thin shape & slightly better ground clearance. Might make a change when the V12's die. I use 5-10s & am size 10½ and don't find V12's feel small, so it must be alot down to personal preference.

To customise the feel, have a look on ebay for stainless grub scews, or whatever type your pedals take. You can get more of a choice of lengths than the manufacturer's spares.

Bad thing for me about V12's is that the pins get damaged so you can't get an allen key in, then they tend to crumble when you try to get them out, and they seem to be too hard to drill out.