Michelin Krylion Problem

hugo15
hugo15 Posts: 1,101
edited December 2009 in Road buying advice
Anyone else had an issue with these tyres splitting? Was out today and I suffered 2 blow out type punctures. When I got home and inspected the tyres then I saw that the bead had become separated away from the side wall. Both punctures were in exactly the same spot where the split had occurred.

4060139571_4acdbb82d3_m.jpg

Just wondered if there is a dodgy batch doing the rounds or have I just been unlucky.

Also, earlier in the ride I thought my wheel had come out of true and I had to let the brakes off so the wheel would go round. I have since checked the wheel without the tyre on and it is fine. Could the split in the tyre result in the same symptoms as a buckled wheel? I can see no obvious issues with the rim.

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    These tyres are fantastic. Never heard a bad word, so run them on my bike.

I'd get your bike checked by an expert, and consider asking for a replacement tyre if nothing is found. Should get a refund if they aren't too old and you can show they are faulty. Looks like you had a lemon.
    Or you hit a big rock!
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...just a thought.
    Have the brake pads been rubbing against the tyre? This may have caused the problem you describe.
    Cycling weakly
  • hugo15
    skyd0g wrote:
    ...just a thought.
    Have the brake pads been rubbing against the tyre? This may have caused the problem you describe.

Don't think so. The split is where the bead runs through the tyre which sits inside the rim.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Other thought - you haven't used tyre levers to put the tyre on ?
    I know I used to regularly use levers for the last section of the tyre and noticed that this can cause the tyre material around the bead to fray.
  • hugo15
    andyrr wrote:
    Other thought - you haven't used tyre levers to put the tyre on ?
    I know I used to regularly use levers for the last section of the tyre and noticed that this can cause the tyre material around the bead to fray.

I did have to use tyre levers to get the last bit on but the split was not where the tyre levers had been used.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    It is possible that the split was caused by the first blow out.
    When 110psi suddenly blows it has a huge amount of force behind it, a tyre wall is nothing to this much pressure.
    I've seen mtb tyres split like this from just 40psi,
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I have been using these tyres for a few months so not sure I'm qualified to give a full review, but they've been fine so far.

And lots of people on here seem to rave about them.
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    Where were they made? France or Thailand? I heard newer Krylions that are made in Thailand aren't that good and have quality issues. My French ones have been fantastic so far.
  • hugo15
    akcc05 wrote:
    Where were they made? France or Thailand? I heard newer Krylions that are made in Thailand aren't that good and have quality issues. My French ones have been fantastic so far.

Not sure where they were made and can't check as the tyre is off back to Chain Reaction for a replacement.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    How can you tell where they are made?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Check the sidewall Red.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • redddraggon
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Check the sidewall Red.

Doesn't say Made in France or Made in Thailand that I can see.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gabriel959
    hmmm, interesting, have you checked both sides?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • redddraggon
    gabriel959 wrote:
    hmmm, interesting, have you checked both sides?

Aye
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Mine don't say anything either.
  • gabriel959
    That's strange, I'll take a pic tonight of mine :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Mine do. 'Made in France' so yours must be on there somewhere surely ......
  • amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    I had two sets of punctures caused by something similar. However I pretty sure that the original damage to the tyre was caused by hitting a pothole, which also broke a couple of spokes. The tyre was frayed a little around the snake bites and this rubbed on the tube subsequently. I have patched the tyre and it's been fine since.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Mine do. 'Made in France' so yours must be on there somewhere surely ......

Doesn't say on mine either.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Mine says Handcrafted in Italy! Mine must be really really good!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Check the sidewall Red.

Doesn't say Made in France or Made in Thailand that I can see.
    I have Kryloins on my bike. On the back i have a 25c and on the sidewall it states Made in France. On the front i have a 23c it doesnt have any lettering as to where its made. Perhaps it may be on the inside of the tyre. :roll:
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • TMJ
    TMJ Posts: 1
    I have two 'types' of Krylions - those I bought before the Krylion supply drought of '07 and '08, which are clearly marked "Made in France", and those I bought this year, which make no mention of where they're manufactured.

Other than because the 'new' Krylions are not made in France, I can't imagine why the country of manufacture has disappeared from these tyres. I've used Michelins on and off over three decades, and sure enough "Made in France" has always been on the sidewalls.

I don't have a problem with Krylions being made in Thailand, China, or wherever, so long as the quality is what we're used to, but Michelin is being a little tricky with its customers if they've changed the country of manufacture and figure it's probably be best not to draw attention to it - keep the sidewalls silent and maybe we'll figure they're still made in France.

Vittoria are judged on the quality of their tyres, not the words "Made in Thailand" on their sidewalls. If that's where the new Krylions are made, then let's see it on the sidewall.
  • plug1n
    plug1n Posts: 204
    I had a recent split in the sidewall from the bead up to the tread, for no reason that I know of (on a 200 mile old Krylion). The bead was still tight within the edge of the casing.