Recovery milk shake bargain from Tesco

careful
careful Posts: 720
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
I've just discovered Yazoo chill milk shake. It is low fat and contains no artificial sweeteners or preservatives (according to the label). Anyway it comes in Chocolate, Banana and Strawberry flavours - all are gorgeous straight after a ride. Tesco have a BOGOF so 2 for about 90p. Just nipped out to get some more!!

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Milk is even cheaper.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    SWcrumple said
    Milk is even cheaper

Actually, no it isn't (unless you own a cow). And it doesnt have the chocolate/banana etc or the gorgeous flavour.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    careful wrote:
    SWcrumple said
    Milk is even cheaper

Actually, no it isn't (unless you own a cow). And it doesnt have the chocolate/banana etc or the gorgeous flavour.

Oh yes it is cheaper and it tastes better.
    More problems but still living....
  • I've always found Yazoo nice and convenient. Milk is best served ice cold, but I tend not to carry a fridge with me when I go for a ride.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    i've started getting "for goodness shakes", 2x 330ml for £1.50 in my local asda. its an actual protein/carb recovery drink to, not sugarry kiddy milkshake like yazoo
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    gsk82 wrote:
    not sugarry kiddy milkshake like yazoo

[runs for cover]
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    gsk82 wrote:
    i've started getting "for goodness shakes", 2x 330ml for £1.50 in my local asda. its an actual protein/carb recovery drink to, not sugarry kiddy milkshake like yazoo

it's still full of sugar though - neither it or yazoo can be considered anything approaching 'nutritious' for that reason.

i mean - they are tasty - especially the for goodness.. - but don't think this is healthy or a decent 'recovery' drink. Not enough protein, too much sugar.
  • nodman7
    nodman7 Posts: 142
    what do you reccommend then for recovery, i can't decide what to try, 2 many choices, i've been having for goodness shakes cos they easy but i'd rather have a proper one, tried the sis rego and hated it
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Scrumple wrote:
    Milk is even cheaper.

Natural yoghurt is cheaper than milk if bought in a 5kg+ tub. Some has 0.3% fat and more protein per 100g. I get 5kg for £1.98 or 10kg for £3.55. :D I, however, have a contact in the underground yoghurt dealing gang scene. :lol: You can get a lot for your money if you go to smaller shops and avoid supermarkets.

Blend it up with a bit of milk/water to thin it out and add honey/sugar or fruit and it's almost the same as if you'd used milk. Even the flavour.
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    Nodman7 wrote:
    what do you reccommend then for recovery, i can't decide what to try, 2 many choices, i've been having for goodness shakes cos they easy but i'd rather have a proper one, tried the sis rego and hated it
    I tries the SIS stuff aswell and hated. I've gone back to the lucozade recovery powder mix, the orange is actually quite nice.
  • 1 egg white (uncooked)
    1/2 Pint of milk
    1 scoop energy powder (whatever you normally use, (I prefer Reflex Edge))

Blitz it

Whal'a!

Tastes good too.
  • gkerr4
    Nodman7 wrote:

IMO - look outside of 'cycling' products and look for gym goers products - i use a website called 'myprotein.co.uk' for my protein powders - they some 'off the shelf' recovery drinks but if you wanted to you could make your own formula using a flavoured protein powder + some carbs such as dextrose powder and you could add other prouducts as you see fit such as creatine, BCAAs etc. A lot more economic than using rego and the likes too.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    A hot pastie or a sausage sandwich and a mug of tea. The psycological boost alone is worth more than the dubious benefits from those faddish, foul tasting, indigestable so called energy foods.

From the same school of rip-off as bottled water..
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Yazoo is packed with sugar. Its just sterilized milk with a few 'natural' extracts thrown in.

Things like that are fine if you need something away from home or something you want to carry, but you can't beat just milk, natural yoghurt or milkshakes you make yourself - cheaper and much healthier.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    The best recovery drink I've tried is Torq, but its mega expensive.
  • I use gatorade, but as gyatsola said a good cuppa tea goes down well after a ride.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    gkerr4 wrote:

it's still full of sugar though - neither it or yazoo can be considered anything approaching 'nutritious' for that reason.

i mean - they are tasty - especially the for goodness.. - but don't think this is healthy or a decent 'recovery' drink. Not enough protein, too much sugar.

mens health rated it as the best all round recovery drink if i remember correctly. after cycling i prefer more carbs than protein. i use whey protein after gym, but after a long ride you can do with the carbs.

my dads used the lucozade one and sis rego, rego was pretty nice but i wasnt a fan of the lucozade
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    Sardines on wholemeal toast and a mug of tea...

I don't need to put tent pegs on the corners of the quilt if I eat proper food, that 'recovery' stuff just makes me recover from not being gaseous, but not much else...
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • For optimum recovery, you want a drink meal that supplies about 2/3 of the calories as carbs, 1/3 as protein and which is readily and quickly absorbed. You want to get it down your neck within 30 mins or so of training as this is a 'window of opportunity' where muscles act like a sponge to soak up nutrients.

There are loads of good formulations out there (High5 is one of my favourites) but if you're not flush with cash, new research in this area has suggested that a bowl of low-fat, wholegrain cereal with skimmed milk is almost as good for recovery as the fanciest (and costly) drinks!
  • gkerr4
    gsk82 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

mens health rated it as the best all round recovery drink if i remember correctly. after cycling i prefer more carbs than protein. i use whey protein after gym, but after a long ride you can do with the carbs.

my dads used the lucozade one and sis rego, rego was pretty nice but i wasnt a fan of the lucozade

sorry - I'd be a bit suspicious about that really - was it referring to "off the shelf - ready to drink" things - in which case it doesn't have a huge amount of competition.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Tha mars stuff taste nice
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    A hot pastie or a sausage sandwich and a mug of tea. The psycological boost alone is worth more than the dubious benefits from those faddish, foul tasting, indigestable so called energy foods.

From the same school of rip-off as bottled water..

+1

If you're doing a stage race or proper hard training everyday then it'll pay to be fastidious about what food you use for recovery, but otherwise for normal cyclists normal food will do the job just fine IMO. In a previous life I've trained seriously hard for (and won) several Henley regattas without bothering with this kind of stuff; just shovel a big but balanced meal down you fairly soon after training and bob's your uncle!
  • Your all paying over the odds...

I still buy the same stuff from my BB days for recovery.

5kg Nutrisport 90+ Protein (Whey/casein mix, thats fast/slow) =£45
    5kg dextrose. = £10

Thats £55, for 6 months worth of recovery shakes if you were just to have one after every training session. Protein would go down quicker if you were having more.

People that buy into all the marketing hype are gimps, as your buying much the same for 5x the cost.
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

sorry - I'd be a bit suspicious about that really - was it referring to "off the shelf - ready to drink" things - in which case it doesn't have a huge amount of competition.

mens health are idiots..no one takes them seriously.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

mens health are idiots..no one takes them seriously.

true - and it often feels as though it is too focussed on pleasing it's advertisers so I can never quite trust it.

however - the people on it's forum tend to know a thing or two and it's quite useful (if a rather unfriendly forum)
    I agree with making your own mix, I use myprotein myself but there are others..
  • Have to agree with DaSy - sardines on toast - high protein, carbs and omega 3 fats
    personally think the recovery products are very overpriced and if you look at the protein content of a lot of them then you can get the same amounts in cheaper and tastiew "natural" equivalents.
  • dboden
    dboden Posts: 349
    Nickwill wrote:
    The best recovery drink I've tried is Torq, but its mega expensive.

If I,m not mistaken, Torq is just neat maltodextrin, which is cheap.