SRAM chain connector.

DasArab
DasArab Posts: 4
edited October 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there folks. Just changed the chain on my MTB and the new SRAM one has a gold "Power" connector, I guess its a kind of fast connect/disconnecter. Now im just wondering if I really should use this or just use one of the spare pins from shortening the chain? Are they reliable enough to use all the time is basically what im asking.

Comments

• They are fine. Most people have them now. Brilliant things, super strong. Some people even have 3 or 4 without any problems. If you havent already, but a few spare powelinks to carry round with you. Saves LOADS of hassle trailside.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you should not re use a used pin on any chain.

yes the power link is fine, use it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Are these compatible with Shimano chains? I have an XTR 9 speed chain with some sort of "power link" fitted, but I don't know the make. I want to get some spares to keep with me in case the chain snaps etc, plus it makes cleaning the chain so much easier.

Cheers 8)
  • nicklouse
    shimano say that their chains are not compatible with other makes quick connectors.

but generally if it is the correct speed it works.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Thanks for the reply guys.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    shimano say that their chains are not compatible with other makes quick connectors.

Do Shimano make their own quick connector? If so, whats it called as I can't find any? I looked on Chain Reaction but can only see the SRAM Power Link.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread slightly :oops:
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Shimano have always used a special pin, but as Nick says, you can get away using other manufacturers, as long as its the same speed.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

Do Shimano make their own quick connector? If so, whats it called as I can't find any? I looked on Chain Reaction but can only see the SRAM Power Link.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread slightly :oops:

Some shimano chains come with a Quick link option. Not seen any available separately from shimano.
  • SRAM powerlinks are brill and ideal for quick repairs will fit most chains, also consider the KMC ones to
    dont only ride a bike