advice for bike novice

zion
zion Posts: 13
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
i recently got interested in cycling and don't know much about cycles, however after a few rides on my mountain bike i have decided to buy a road/racing bike, am aware that the prices vary alot. my budget is quite low for road bikes but having searched on the net i found a few that were sub £200.

can anyone help me in deciding or advice on what bike i could get on a tight budget that would do a good or decent day to day job.

found a couple of this on the web...thanks in advance
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2009

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2009

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARUISHI-Mens-Roa ... dZViewItem

Comments

• Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    The bikes you've posted look suspiciously like bike shaped objects to me. I'd avoid them. Unfortunately, with only 200 to spend on a new bike I don't know if you'll find anything better.

I suspect for less than 200 quid, your best bet is going to be second hand bikes. You'll get more bike for your money. It's hard to buy second hand bikes if you don't know what you're looking for though, so it would be useful if you had a friend who could help you?
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • Definitely not the first one, 24" wheels are tiny, plus you'd never be able to find tyres for it. I've never heard of the other two either, they are REALLY cheap compared to most road bikes, there's only so much of an advantage that could be.

+1 for second hand, why not try to find one of the bike re-cycling charities that are springing up?
  • Wouldn't get any of them. It's really important that you test ride the bike you will be riding, so I wouldn't order off the web if this is your first road bike.

As mentioned above, I'd get a 2nd hand one.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    As already said, the first one is a kids bike - 24" wheels are suitable for a 12 year old maximum I'd say. Whatever you do, I'd recommend avoiding Winstanleys anyway - search the web and you'll find countless mentions of goods advertised not in stock, goods not arriving etc.

If you know what you're looking for, secondhand would be best for £200 - if you don't get someone who does to look for you. Most importatntly make sure it fits.

This looks good for example and not long left on the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TREK-1000-2008-RA ... 4a9bcf7e31

If you don;t know what size you need, or want new this is good if you can strecth to £270:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-1-54-57-69567468/
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    +1 for second hand

Try browsing the classfied section of the forum, or posting a WANTED thread.

Here

It worked for me.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Onan
    There are all sorts of "what budget bike for a beginner" threads on here. I think in the road beginners section, there is a thread stickied at the top which lists lots of entry level bikes from the main manufacturers. These days, even bikes at this level will start at 500 or more, but at least having a look at these will give you an idea of what sort of spec you can expect. Then you can look for something equivalent but much cheaper second hand.
  • zion
    thanks alot guys, you've been helpful.
  • Slow Downcp
    Of those, I'd say the Raleigh is the best - but still think the Decathlon bike is worth the extra money. Most of the ones you've linked to have downtube shifters, if you can get one with Sti's (brake and gear lever combined) then it's a lot easier to change.

Do you know for certain what size you need?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • I quite like the look of the Nigel Dean one. Never heard of them, but Shimano 105 level kit speaks volumes, no matter what age. Looks like a steel frame too, so it's got some extra cool. Pretty big though, how tall are you?
  • Onan
    Out of those, I like the look of the Nigel Dean. Old, but much better components for your money, and a steel (hopefully reynolds 531) frame, which should give good service.

Here's a thread here on Nigel Dean bikes:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15159186

I'd take that any day over a cheap aluminium frame, with cheap components, down-tube shifters and heavy hi-tensile steel forks.

If this is your first road bike though, you really need to sit on it (preferably ride it) and make sure it fits before you buy.
  • zion
    Of those, I'd say the Raleigh is the best - but still think the Decathlon bike is worth the extra money. Most of the ones you've linked to have downtube shifters, if you can get one with Sti's (brake and gear lever combined) then it's a lot easier to change.

Do you know for certain what size you need?

well i guess am 5'9-5'10, so probably a frame size of btw 57-59 would be fine i think.

what is the difference btw a downtube and sti?...

cheers
  • Slow Downcp
    I'd say that a 57-59 would be too big. I'm 6 foot and ride a 56 normally.

It's worth trying out a few at your local LBS (even if not going to buy) just to check sizing.

Downtube shifters mean that the gear lever is on the tube running diagonally from the front of the bike to the chainset. Sti's have the gear change built into the brake lever so you can change gear without taking your hands off the bars - quite useful in traffic.
  • Agreed. I'm 6' 2", and I ride a 59 cm. It mostly depends on your inside leg measurement. You can always go to your local bike shop to try a few, you don't actually have to tell them what your budget is ;)
  • IMO this bike sizing stuff is a bit over rated

sure- try a few to see what size you are, but if you get a frame a shade too small, or too big, does it matter *that* much.

Ok, if your on a mountain bike and are likely to come off at speed and crush your gonads- its worth going for a smaller frame.

However, if you dont plan on falling off regularly, esp if your looking for second hand, you will prob find a couple of sizes suitable for you
  • Slow Downcp
    IMO this bike sizing stuff is a bit over rated

sure- try a few to see what size you are, but if you get a frame a shade too small, or too big, does it matter *that* much.

Yes - if you want it to be set up properly and comfortable - I once had a Giant that was a shade too small - tinkered with stem, seatpins etc never quite got it right. Too small - you may possibly get away with it. Too big - not as simple if the seatpin won't go down far enough. You wouldn't buy clothes the wrong size - get one that fits.
  • Onan
    Plus you can waste a lot of time and money trying to get your position right on a bike that's too big. I was abit too stretched out on my bike, and it's taken me weeks of messing around, and a new stem to feel right on it. Still can't have the saddle setback where it should be.

Could have avoided that if I'd sat on the bike.
  • zion
    at entry level does it really matter if a bike is sti or down tube? with reference to height! well i guess i'll be better get myself to the shops to check properly then.
  • Onan
    zion wrote:
    at entry level does it really matter if a bike is sti or down tube? with reference to height! well i guess i'll be better get myself to the shops to check properly then.

People have been using down tube shifters since the 70s I think, so theres no real reason not to use them. Seems like a lot of faff to me though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think on the older bikes at least, they'll be friction shifters too, which will take some skill to use properly.

It's up to you really.
  • Downshifters V STi`s

I use down shifters still on my winter bike.

As long as you are a confident, well balanced cyclist then downshifters shouldnt be a problem. As long as you a comfy taking a hand off the handbars, reaching down to the lever to change then thats fine. Last thing you want to do is have a slow speed wobble in traffic as you approach a red light trying to find the right gear to pull away in.

That said, if your budget will strecth STi`s are probably better tho. The two hands on the handlebars at all times is defo a plus point.

Just a point, I think there are two types of downshifters, The older friction type that relies on feel and judgement to change gear and the indexed downshifter that gives a clicks into place. I think the brand new entry level raleigh road bike has downshifters. so they still come on new bikes too.

+1 on going to a bike shop to get fitted for frame size. Dont feel bad about not actually buying a bike. If you want later when you have a bike, buy your inner tubes, bottles from there, etc, that way you have at least given them some bussiness as a thank you.

The Baron
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.