with all the talk of Forza and GT ...... Xbox360 v PS3?

Rich9
Rich9 Posts: 1,635
edited November 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Maybe its been done before. If so, point me in the right direction..

Anyway, santas coming soon, and tempted to get one or the other. Dont really know much about either of them tbh. I've had a PS2 for ages which leans me towards a PS3, even though they are dearer than a 360, but i wouldnt mind gauging your opinions as it seems there are a fair number if gamers on here.

As for types of games... I like football, golf, racing, first person shooters etc

We also have a wii, but to me its not in the same league and is pitched at a different audience

comments appreciated
2014 Whyte T-129S

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    xbox ....... by a mile an a half

its far better imo, better games better graphics, just better everything
  • I agree Xbox kicks ass!
    It's worth paying the extra money for online :D
    As for games the two hot titles at the moment are Forza Motorsport 3 and Modern Warfare 2 (when it comes out :lol: )
  • Razer_MTB
    Razer_MTB Posts: 361
    xbox for games and online play

ps3 for playing my fledgling bluray collection

wii for the mrs

the best console for one isnt necessarily the best for another, really depends what you want out of it. (i've also noticed that most xbox games are 1080p but ps3 titles mostly show 720p, fifa09 was a good example in that the 2 versions had differently rated graphics) i'm lucky in that i've got all 3, but whenever a game is available for ps3 and xbox, its always the xbox version i buy
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    other way round for me :)

had a 360 which i got fed up with it breaking down, so got a ps3 and never once thought i wish kept the xbox.

maybe the newer ones are more reliable though if anyone knows :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • ps3
    good games
    easy controls
    bluray
    vacum drive so no scratched disks
    free online play
    bluetooth
    dont have to pay for rechargeable controllers as these are usb charged
    no red rings of death
    currently on uses 6 out 8 proccesors so when better games come out there is still 2 left to use
    very good hdmi
    good scroll bar menu
    good song and video storage
    free games none of this microsoft points rubbish
    better 1080p game quality where as 360 some can be 720p
    sd card readers ect
    4 usb drives
    memory stick compatible

try and get one of the older ones
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    XBOX live is a rip off, but PS3 annoys the hell out of me with it's forced updates, which won't download in the background.
    But really, I still prefer PC gaming.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Xbox 360, rings of death is annoying but apart from that is superb. Only other possible advantage of the PS3 is the bluray, but it doesn't have HD sound which some of the cheapest standalone Bluray players now have. Also think the controllers feel alot nicer in your hand on the 360.

But at the end of day its best to get what most of your mates have, cos playing with them is the fun bit!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Razer_MTB wrote:
    xbox for games and online play
    i've also noticed that most xbox games are 1080p but ps3 titles mostly show 720p, fifa09 was a good example in that the 2 versions had differently rated graphics

Not all games listed as displaying at 1080p are actually displaying in native 1080p, they are upscaled from 720p. I think (don't quote me though!) that this has something to do with the component video cables that the 360 used to use. They can only display 720p, so a fair few of the games listed as 1080p are actually upscaled. The elite console has HDMI output, which CAN display in native 1080p.
    Because all PS3 consoles have HDMI output, all PS3 games listed as 1080p display in native 1080p. Sony, because of Blu-Ray, were much more enthusiastic about pushing the higher resolution, and the hardware was specifically developed for it.

That's not to say one console is better that the other, just highlights the differences between them. I personally own a PS3 and wouldn't change that, but to each their own.
    This is my bike, there are many like it but this one is mine
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    That's not to say one console is better that the other, just highlights the differences between them.

exactly, by the way all 360s have HDMI now -I've got basic "arcade" model with it. Not sure when they started doing it, because my first one doesn't have it. You just have to buy the cable with any apart from the elite, and If i was buying right now, i'd buy the elite as you get a bigger hard disc so you can install you favourite games to it and they run faster.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • That's not to say one console is better that the other, just highlights the differences between them.

exactly, by the way all 360s have HDMI now -I've got basic "arcade" model with it. Not sure when they started doing it, because my first one doesn't have it. You just have to buy the cable with any apart from the elite, and If i was buying right now, i'd buy the elite as you get a bigger hard disc so you can install you favourite games to it and they run faster.

Great! So now there's even less difference, so just get whichever one looks best next to your telly, or whichever one you want to play with your mates on. Problem solved, world peace reigns! :D

Exclusive games are silly though, in my opinion. Particularly when big bad MS or Sony says to a developer, 'Here's a bazillion moneys, now don't release your games on rival consoles!'. Good business, perhaps, but your pure gamer gets left out in the dark. I say this mainly because I'm bitter that I can't have Fable, but I'd also like to seer what X-Boxxers think of playing Uncharted, or Killzone or LBP on their consoles.
    And lazy developers (I'm looking at you Bethesda!) who can't be bothered to properly port their games to other consoles, leaving me with a noticeably inferior game on a comparable console. Just because the cell processor takes a bit more work to code for, pfft!
    This is my bike, there are many like it but this one is mine
  • andy46 wrote:
    other way round for me :)

had a 360 which i got fed up with it breaking down, so got a ps3 and never once thought i wish kept the xbox.

maybe the newer ones are more reliable though if anyone knows :D
    Yes, the 2005 Xbox's weren't very reliable but the 2008 ones are a whole lot better :D
  • XBOX live is a rip off, but PS3 annoys the hell out of me with it's forced updates, which won't download in the background.
    But really, I still prefer PC gaming.
    I agree PC Gaming is the best but it costs a bomb, and not all games are released on PC.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    PS3 does have (ahem) "hi-def" sound. It can output up to 192KHz, 24-bit.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Gamecube kicks arse!
  • Gamecube kicks ars*!

bellend :lol:
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    commadore 64 everytime! no disks to scratch and no loud cooling fans :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Rich9
    Cheers for your input guys. I'm still none the wiser though! :oops: :?

Most people I know who are into gaming have 360's so it might be worth it for that alone
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • dont follow the crowd

i wanted a 360 so much but then thought about it and dad brought me round to the ps3 and i dont regret it
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    dont follow the crowd

i wanted a 360 so much but then thought about it and dad brought me round to the ps3 and i dont regret it

So what you are saying is go out and spend 300 quid on the console that everyone DOESN'T have just to be different ? lol. Perhaps the fact that it is the more popular console means that it is the better one to own?

I dunno, who cares. PS3 still at least 100 quid to expensive anyway.
  • and you can browse th tinterweb on the ps3
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    PS3 all the way do it! do it! :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • -liam-
    and you can browse th tinterweb on the ps3

I have a laptop for that thanks lol

PS3 browser is dire anyway lol
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    xbox has sky now

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • -liam-
    Hercule Q wrote:
    xbox has sky now

Is it actually working yet ? lol

Here's a surprise though,I have a sky box for that...

End of the day, its probably safe to say that the 360 is the best at what it is supposed to do....play games!!
  • ps3 gameplay is better
    and 360 you have to buy all the extras at rediculous cost

i can plug in anything i want to my ps3

blu tooth headphone
    charge my phone off it
    memory stick
    usb mouse
    ect
  • -liam-
    ps3 gameplay is better

You are just saying that because you own one lol
    i can plug in anything i want to my ps3

blu tooth headphone
    charge my phone off it
    memory stick
    usb mouse
    ect

For 150 quid more, I'd hope to get something more lol.

Charge my phone off it? I have a 2 quid charger for that and I don't need my xbox running to do it. :D
    Memory stick ? Why do i need that to play COD?
    usb mouse ? Excuse me ? See above lol

Its all unwanted faff that chucks 150 quid onto the cost of a games console ;)
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I have both an Xbox 360 and a PS3.

Know which is best? Getting out and riding your bike!
  • Rich9
    done some googling and Xbox wins at the moment

Amazon are doing the Elite console for £189 and 2 games for £10 each
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • you bonlt think 360 is best because youve got one

pay 30quid a year to play olnine i dont think so
    i pay enough as it is per month
  • -liam-
    Dont really care. I would of bought a PS3 if it wasn't silly expensive which paid for lots of stuff I don't want lol. I still have a ps1 and ps2 and a original black xbox but the ps3 is to much to justify buying it.

and you can get 12 months subscription for 26 quid on fleabay which is 7p a day, dunno about you, but I lose that in small change lol Add 4 years subscription onto the price of an xbox and it is still cheaper than a ps3 lol ;)