Merino wool jersey

nicensleazy
nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
edited October 2009 in Road buying advice
Just wondered what the Merino wool jerseys are like. I take it that they don't itch. I have got me eye on a 50 50 mix of Merino wool and man made fibre. Also, I guess merino wool is quite nice and warn for this time of year? Cheers

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have 3 pure merino jerseys - all Woolistic - they're great for short commutes and easy rides, but I don't think they're too good for high intensity / longer training rides as they simply hold too much moisture. I also think they work best on cool, dry days too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Id go with the thinnest you can get, ive got a few different weights of merino and if I am training hard the wool holds a lot of water. I really just use the Prendas own brand base layers for training.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    The wool / polyester mix is generally Sportwool, which is a thin merino layer on the inside to carry the sweat away from the skin, and that is laminated to a thin polyester layer to make the fabric more stable and resilient.

It gives better performance than pure merino, as the polyester layer means that the fabric holds it's shape better and pockets don't tend to sag like with pure wool. It doesn't get so saturated as wool either, as the polyester layer disperses the sweat.

I have several Sportwool jerseys, and would not have any other now. I have both 100% polyester and 100% wool jerseys, and neither are as nice to wear, practical and good looking.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    +1 for sportwool.
    Much better than any other I have tried :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Could try looking at bamboo base layers, looks to wick better than merino, got one coming so haven't tried it but i've heard good reports not to mention it's half the pirce of merino.

http://www.bambooclothing.co.uk/why_is_ ... etter.html
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    I've got several merino / sportwool tops. Merino as a baselayer is great, but I definitely agree the sportwool mix holds the shape way better than straight merino when you have stuffed pockets to think of.

My favourite top is currently a Colomba Club Blue jersey -
    https://colomba.cc/product_info.php?cPa ... ucts_id=30
    (they've often got an offer giving a discount in conjunction with cycling weekly (but if there's no offer on the top you fancy, I'd ask and see if they're in a good mood, it worked for me :) )
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Thanks guys!
  • Ground Effect: NZ based but quick mail order delivery, I have a Median Strip merino blend. Lovely.