Magura Julie 180mm on a Reba post mount fork

MintyBadger
MintyBadger Posts: 20
edited October 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
After 4 years of faithful service my Marzocchi AM1 fork blew a gasket (well the air bladder on the ETA side to be more accurate). So I had a hunt around for a replacement fork and settled on a Rockshox Reba. I noted that it was a post mount fork so I ordered a post mount adapter for my IS Magura Julie front brake.

Duly fitted the fork and put the caliper on the adapter, all good so far. Fitted the front wheel and the disc was way out on the caliper and I mean way out. After staring at it for quite a while scratching my head and other parts of my anatomy I decided to fit the caliper direct to the fork with no adapter and lo it fitted almost perfectly. I inserted a washer between the caliper and fork and it fitted fine.

Which leaves me wondering what is the 180 post mount adapter for and if I moved up to say a 210mm disc at any point would the post mount adapter fit?? :?

Anyone got any ideas?? Can't seem to find anything on either the Rockshox site or Magura

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    After 4 years of faithful service my Marzocchi AM1 fork blew a gasket (well the air bladder on the ETA side to be more accurate). So I had a hunt around for a replacement fork and settled on a Rockshox Reba. I noted that it was
    a post mount
    fork so I ordered a post mount adapter for my IS Magura Julie front brake.

Duly fitted the fork and put the caliper on the adapter, all good so far. Fitted the front wheel and the disc was way out on the caliper and I mean way out. After staring at it for quite a while scratching my head and other parts of my anatomy I decided to fit the caliper direct to the fork with no adapter and lo it fitted almost perfectly. I inserted a washer between the caliper and fork and it fitted fine.

Which leaves me wondering what is the 180 post mount adapter for and if I moved up to say a 210mm disc at any point would the post mount adapter fit?? :?

Anyone got any ideas?? Can't seem to find anything on either the Rockshox site or Magura

please have a think and post again as what you say is imposible.

Or just post a photo of what you now have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • A picture is worth a thousand words, so picture below is the calliper directly mounted (with no adapter) onto the fork

Image0020.jpg

And this is the adapter....

Image0021.jpg
  • nicklouse
    so Post mount calliper (not IS) and post mount fork like that should mean a 160mm disc.

are you sure it is a 180mm one?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Definitely 180 mm, just double checked to be sure.
  • Thinking about it when using the adapter the calliper was probably 20mm out.

I always assumed that brake mounts were a "zero" height and you bought adapters accordingly. I am confused now...
  • nicklouse
    Ok you have a before 2009 julie?

the fork is standard Post mount fitting but it is the calliper that is none standard it a 7@ PM fitting as Magura believed it was not powerful enough with a 160mm disc.

so yep for a 180 disc you do not need an adaptor. (maybe the odd washer for clearance from the outer edge of the disc depending on the disc).
  • It is a pre 2009 Julie.

You are right I just added a washer to allow for some clearance. So would I be right in assuming that the post mount adapter that I bought is for 2009 model Julies? If not I am confused as to why it is sold at all.

Cheers for the response, it's good to know I am not going mad. I honestly thought I had missed something. You'd have thought Magura would have posted something on their web site related to this...

Going to head out to the woods now and play with my new forks settings :D
  • nicklouse
    the adaptor is for maguras callipers that are made to the postmount standard, and any other postmount standard calliper.