Lefevre wins case against Het Laatste Nieuws

hommelbier
hommelbier Posts: 1,555
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Allegedly renowned for his tendency to reach for the lawyers has paid off for the Quick-Step boss as he trousers 500,000 euros in damages for doping allegations made back in 2007.

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/091030_lefevere_hln

Comments

• hommelbier wrote:
    Allegedly renowned for his tendency to reach for the lawyers has paid off for the Quick-Step boss as he trousers 500,000 euros in damages for doping allegations made back in 2007.

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/091030_lefevere_hln

I like how you put allegedly to avoid recrimination from the Silver Fox. Cunning
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    doping is very likely done outside of the team, the rider and their own private Dr-something some people on here no doubt don't agree with as but if it is true..it weakens the case against signing two ex riders to manage Sky, or Lotto signing a team Dr from Saunier... I am not surprised the paper couldn't prove it.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Do you really think certain team managers have no idea who is doping on their team? Of course the teams make sure it's seen to done independently, so if a rider does test positive then they can sack him, presumably with a nice pay off to keep him quiet, and claim he was acting alone.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    andyp wrote:
    Do you really think certain team managers have no idea who is doping on their team? Of course the teams make sure it's seen to done independently, so if a rider does test positive then they can sack him, presumably with a nice pay off to keep him quiet, and claim he was acting alone.

Like David Millar said, probably more the case of the manager doesn't exactly check if you are or are not, head in the sand,...leave the rider to decide and ask no questions if they do really well which is not great but isn't team wide doping or complicity in doping.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I'm sure it happens. But equally, the Festina and Puerto affairs clearly demonstrated that some teams run systematic team wide doping programs.

Personally I doubt Leferve has ever done so, he's too savvy to get caught like that.

As an aside, giving his fondness for threatening litigation, is this the first time that Leferve has actually won a case? I bet there are some very happy libel lawyers in Belgium this weekend. :wink: