This is madness?

ride_whenever
ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
No, this is shepherd's bush...

Am i completely insane to consider cycling over the roundabout here? I've done it before but I'm just wondering if it is actually a really bad idea. I'm happy around traffic usually, but is it just a little too busy for it to be prudent?

Would anyone else do it?

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    edited October 2009
    where?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    edited October 2009
    No, this is Madness!!!:

madness9.jpg

Gets Jacket.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I'd only do it if I had no other choice or the other choices are a a real pita - I live very nearby and would try to use some other pathway.

There are more than a few who do - some sensible some less so. Its busy but in reality like any other roundabout.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • it is actually fine because the lights stop anyone hairing on to the roundabout at high speed. I have done it a million times. get to the front of the queue, be assertive, take the middle of your lane on the roundabout and don't get bullied.

DON'T stick to the outside as you will get cut up, especially by cars going on to the northbound dual carriageway. Just take the same line you would as a car and it's fine.
    <a>road</a>
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Do you mean the triangle (the green0 or the roundabout itself?

Roundabout - I just do the same as I would in a car.
    Green (South to North) - as above
    Green (North to South) - I take the cycle lanes that cut over the side of the green next to the tennis courts and link up with Shepherds Bush Rd.
  • ride_whenever
    Roundabout outside tube station, going a40 - a4020.

I don't have a problem taking it as a car, that's what i did last time, but not knowing where i was going wasn't great!

Meh, I'll take it again, beats pushing through the tunnels.
  • Roundabout outside tube station, going a40 - a4020.

I don't have a problem taking it as a car, that's what i did last time, but not knowing where i was going wasn't great!

Meh, I'll take it again, beats pushing through the tunnels.

How di dyou not know where you were going?? It's N, S , E or W, fairly straightforward I would think!

I wouldn't recommend going north up the dual carriageway btw ;)
    <a>road</a>
  • ride_whenever
    It isn't quite that simple, there are two west ones, took the first one not the second! :?

Yeah, not a fan of the dual carriageway
  • ketka82
    ketka82 Posts: 63
    I'll be starting to commute via Shepherd's Bush in a couple of weeks (new job) so I'm glad to hear it's pretty much OK - was a little concerned myself!

Worst place I've ever cycled in London was Piccadilly Circus. Did the usual of imagining I was a car and taking up as much space as possible but still very nearly got squished by a Spanish coach driver.

Anyone else have places they now try to avoid at all costs?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    ketka82 wrote:

Anyone else have places they now try to avoid at all costs?

London :mrgreen:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    SB is so crowded at peak times that its not really an issue. At least no more than the rest of the main London streets
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • It isn't quite that simple, there are two west ones, took the first one not the second! :?

Yeah, not a fan of the dual carriageway

errr the second one is one-way against you though? http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=shepherds+bush&sll=50.949836,0.731657&sspn=0.008287,0.013132&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Shepherd's+Bush,+Greater+London,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.504365,-0.216476&spn=0.002584,0.004812&t=h&z=18
    <a>road</a>