Armstrong's bikes at Sothebys

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited November 2009 in Pro race
http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/event/ ... t_id=30007

They are all revolting; totally lacking any class. It doesn't help that they are designs on a Trek - nothing could make one of those look attractive.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/event/EventEduDetail.jsp?event_id=30007

They are all revolting; totally lacking any class. It doesn't help that they are designs on a Trek - nothing could make one of those look attractive.

What about if we draped that model you used to have in your avatar over one of them?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    Ooooh...that would be close but she think she couldn't be persuaded to model for it...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Think you're missing the point a bit.

But your balanced, rational opinions are always valued by those of us who don't know better...
  • frenchfighter
    No I entirely get the point. He is raising money for charity.

Does that mean I can't comment on what the bikes look like? No.

Are they ugly? Very.

Do I care what you think? No.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Truly eye bendingly awful. Has anything stylish come out of America. By stylish I mean subtle and beautiful.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Limburger wrote:
    Truly eye bendingly awful. Has anything stylish come out of America. By stylish I mean subtle and beautiful.

Wait a minute. I'm from America and the other day my barber told me I looked very stylish.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    I like them 8)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    dennisn wrote:
    Limburger wrote:

Wait a minute. I'm from America and the other day my barber told me I looked very stylish.

Yeah, but what about the "subtle" bit :wink:
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dennisn
    They are probably worth the money as collectors items. They are all "one offs". You'll
    never see another like it.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Yep, personally none of the bikes do much for me (although if I needed a TT Bike, the predominately black one looks okay).

I guess we need to view these bikes as what they now are - pieces of art.

There are plenty of paintings out there which I find boring / over rated / ugly etc, yet they are worth millions of dollars.

And that's art - it's so subjective. I'm sure someone out there will like these bikes, and will proceed to pay money for them. And good on them for doing so.
  • I think I'm going to try and replicate the Daimien Hurst bike? But butterflies are not in abundance so I'm going to use fly catcher ( The ones you hang from the ceiling) and wrap them around the bike frame, plus tape some scraps of meat under the bottom bracket.That way I should have constant supply of live flies.
    I will also try and ride through as much dog cr@p as possible.

Any futher suggestions?

I suffer for my art I do.
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    Presented in conjunction with Nike and featuring more than 20 of the most important established and upcoming artists in the world, STAGES brought an incredibly diverse range of painters, sculptors and photographers together in a visual dialogue about cancer - a disease that touches everyone and is expected to be the leading cause of death worldwide by 2010. The results were nothing short of incredible, and these bikes you see now proved to be the perfect rolling billboards for this unprecedented collection.

I'm not a gearhead, and my garage is anything but a cycling museum, but I can honestly say that letting go of my bikes has never been harder. From Damien Hirst's masterpiece Tour de France "finale" Trek Madone covered in real butterflies, to the KAWS "Chompers" cycle that I broke my collarbone on in the Vuelta Castilla y León, every ride is a treasured piece of personal history that I'm proud to offer up to benefit LIVESTRONG.

Each of these artists gave their time freely to this cause, and, because of their generosity, all proceeds from the sale of these bikes will go directly to help LIVESTRONG continue to inspire and empower people affected by cancer. Through the dollars that we raise, we'll increase awareness, fund research, and work to end the stigma about cancer that many survivors face. For the first time in my life, I can now say, "it's about the bike" and mean it.

Please bid generously and LIVESTRONG,

Lance Armstrong
    Founder and Chairman, LIVESTRONG
    no one believes you. we know you like gear....what kind is the question..
    BTW awful looking bikes, except the black TT bike.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    intothe12 wrote:
    Presented in conjunction with Nike and featuring more than 20 of the most important established and upcoming artists in the world, STAGES brought an incredibly diverse range of painters, sculptors and photographers together in a visual dialogue about cancer - a disease that touches everyone and is expected to be the leading cause of death worldwide by 2010. The results were nothing short of incredible, and these bikes you see now proved to be the perfect rolling billboards for this unprecedented collection.

I'm not a gearhead, and my garage is anything but a cycling museum, but I can honestly say that letting go of my bikes has never been harder. From Damien Hirst's masterpiece Tour de France "finale" Trek Madone covered in real butterflies, to the KAWS "Chompers" cycle that I broke my collarbone on in the Vuelta Castilla y León, every ride is a treasured piece of personal history that I'm proud to offer up to benefit LIVESTRONG.

Each of these artists gave their time freely to this cause, and, because of their generosity, all proceeds from the sale of these bikes will go directly to help LIVESTRONG continue to inspire and empower people affected by cancer. Through the dollars that we raise, we'll increase awareness, fund research, and work to end the stigma about cancer that many survivors face. For the first time in my life, I can now say, "it's about the bike" and mean it.

Lance Armstrong
    :lol:
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    dennisn wrote:
    Limburger wrote:

Then you are both subtle and beautiful.

Unless it was an American barber and you had just gotten a mullet. Giggle
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • I just feel kinda sorry for the hundreds(?) of butterflies that had to die in the name of art :D
  • dennisn
    intothe12 wrote:

Lance Armstrong

YOU say NO ONE believes him. NO ONE???? My first question is - what's the problem?
    It's a guy selling his bikes for charity. Some ugly ones , yes, but they will probably fetch a good price. Really don't understand your problem with the whole thing. No one forcing
    YOU(or anyone else) to do anything. Yet you seem very upset?????? :? :?
  • I like them.

They add something different.

Love the japanese bike. but with my lardy frame, it just wouldn't look right.

will be interesting to see how much each sells for.
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    On the other hand, all Bertie's bikes are exquisitely beautiful :wink:
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Won't somebody please think of the butterflies!?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Sotheby's have also announced that these fashionable pedals will also be available for the lucky hicks who manage to win one of Lance's "fantastic" bikes (which happen to come without pedals)

new-vintage-roadster-rubber-pedals.-37-p.jpg
    www.dotcycling.com
  • frenchfighter
    contador-3-grand-tour-trek-madone.jpg

It is still a Trek with Bontrager but I'd take this scheme over all the Lance bikes.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Did those revolting sunglasses with Lance's sweat on get sold?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Did those revolting sunglasses with Lance's sweat on get sold?!

Yes, I believe they were "lapped up" by some chap named Dennis...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • intothe12
    yup, bertie's bike is a cracking looking machine, and that SRAM Red in the gold, pink and white is a good touch.

dennis - lighten up, I was merely pointing out the amusing double entendre used in his letter. at least I didn't point out the irony of
    For the first time in my life, I can now say, "it's about the bike" and mean it.
    its all about the money $$$$$$$$$$$$
  • dennisn
    intothe12 wrote:
    yup, bertie's bike is a cracking looking machine, and that SRAM Red in the gold, pink and white is a good touch.

dennis - lighten up, I was merely pointing out the amusing double entendre used in his letter. at least I didn't point out the irony of
    For the first time in my life, I can now say, "it's about the bike" and mean it.

Sure it's about the money. Isn't it always??? But, no sport celeb out there ever claims it's for the money. It's always for the more "politically correct" reason of "I play for the love of the game" "I swim for the USA" "I love NIKE because they make great stuff(not because they pay me a fortune to say it)" "The fans are just great(keep buying those season tickets)" .If you were in these peoples position I'm betting you would be claiming pretty much the same thing. I agree with you 100% - all about the money or the potential for getting it.
  • intothe12
    dennisn wrote:
    intothe12 wrote:

Sure it's about the money. Isn't it always??? But, no sport celeb out there ever claims it's for the money. It's always for the more "politically correct" reason of "I play for the love of the game" "I swim for the USA" "I love NIKE because they make great stuff(not because they pay me a fortune to say it)" "The fans are just great(keep buying those season tickets)" .If you were in these peoples position I'm betting you would be claiming pretty much the same thing. I agree with you 100% - all about the money or the potential for getting it.

it does probably get to the point where he starts believing his own press.
  • dennisn
    intothe12 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    intothe12 wrote:

it does probably get to the point where he starts believing his own press.

I don't doubt that either. Now, I've never been "famous", if you will, but having people cheer and applaud you on a regular basis has got to "bolster"(for lack of a better word)
    your perception of yourself and make you think that maybe you're more or better than the
    average Joe.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

It is still a Trek with Bontrager but I'd take this scheme over all the Lance bikes.

Whats wrong with Treks? I had a Trek 1000 as my very first road bike...£450 and fitted up with Bontrager and Sora...great starting machine that never let me down and encouraged me to delve deeper into road biking?

I've now got a lovely bike....but is it any better than a top end Trek?....I doubt it?....is it better than a top end Colnago/Pinarello?....I doubt it....probably similar in terms of performance....mostly all these top end bikes are excellent....mainstream production line ones and Handbuilt 'masters'.....in fact the big global ones are most probably even better due to having much more capital for investment into design and materials?....being able to invest in top end production techniques and design and system testers?....some guys want say a Trek...nowt wrong with that!....some guys want a a bit of finess like a De Rosa...nowt wrong with that either!

And lets face it....Treks have been the steeds of the Great Champions now for 10 years?....they cant be bad?...but I honestly beleive Armstong and Contador would have won on Pinarellos or Looks aswell.....

BTW...I like those bikes....and FF still talks gash.
  • dennisn
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

Whats wrong with Treks? I had a Trek 1000 as my very first road bike...£450 and fitted up with Bontrager and Sora...great starting machine that never let me down and encouraged me to delve deeper into road biking?

I've now got a lovely bike....but is it any better than a top end Trek?....I doubt it?....is it better than a top end Colnago/Pinarello?....I doubt it....probably similar in terms of performance....mostly all these top end bikes are excellent....mainstream production line ones and Handbuilt 'masters'.....in fact the big global ones are most probably even better due to having much more capital for investment into design and materials?....being able to invest in top end production techniques and design and system testers?....some guys want say a Trek...nowt wrong with that!....some guys want a a bit of finess like a De Rosa...nowt wrong with that either!

And lets face it....Treks have been the steeds of the Great Champions now for 10 years?....they cant be bad?...but I honestly beleive Armstong and Contador would have won on Pinarellos or Looks aswell.....

BTW...I like those bikes....and FF still talks gash.

OK, I'll put forward the theory that "FF" doesn't like them because he's got issues with Lance. I don't think that you'll hear to many people on this forum argue with that. Seems pretty clear that that's the case. Whatever Lance or a few other selected individuals ride
    is junk. Wouldn't matter what it was. Maybe this post should be in the "Mundane Obsevations" section. At the very least the "Duh" section.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    dennisn wrote:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

OK, I'll put forward the theory that "FF" doesn't like them because he's got issues with Lance. I don't think that you'll hear to many people on this forum argue with that. Seems pretty clear that that's the case. Whatever Lance or a few other selected individuals ride
    is junk. Wouldn't matter what it was. Maybe this post should be in the "Mundane Obsevations" section. At the very least the "Duh" section.

100% spot , FF rides a Bianchi or at least he did and if Lance was riding one of them then they would be crap as well.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !