Cyclocross bike choice

Barkiesnake
Barkiesnake Posts: 244
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.
I am about to do my first cyclocross race in 2 weeks time and as i dont want to risk trashing my best road bike i am left with a choice of 2 bikes to ride.
The first is a specialized crossroads flat bar hybrid, already fitted with off road tyres, the second is a 1973 5 speed peugeot racer with steel frame to which i can add tyres as required.
Which, in peoples opinion, would be the better choice?
:?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford

Comments

• spesh
  • I used to do a fair bit of cross in the winter. A road bike isn't at all suitable. There isn't the mud clearance & you need canti brakes really, V brakes would do.. A touring bike would be closer to what you need. You will slide all over on road tyres, touring type tyres would be better.

I have an Arthur Caygill cross bike that I used to race, can you not ride your MTB as alternative or is it a National Trophy Event?
    BAZZ
  • ban Barkiesnake
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    and barrythebike
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    try fitting 26" wheels and some 2.35 knobbly tyres and some decent forks and some wider bars then your bike will be suitable for riding off road :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Barrythebike
    Barrythebike Posts: 58
    edited November 2009
    and barrythebike

Oh, thanks for that! :(
    BAZZ
  • ban Barkiesnake

Now what have i done :?
  • Thanks for all your answers, think i'll go with the spesh for the first event.
    Barry the bike - I dont own an MTB.
    Thats it now i'll definately be banned from this forum :oops:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, don't worry, we aren't that mean!

Cyclocross bikes have a special place in our hearts ;-)

Let us know how you get on.
  • sorry for the slight hijack but what is the revolution cross like.I quite fancy one for a bit of rural commuting/winter road rides

currently on sale too :D
  • europeandy: Dunno, never heard of them..

Barkiesnake: Well, your obviously going to have to buy one or the other, aren't you..?
    BAZZ
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    europeandy wrote:
    sorry for the slight hijack but what is the revolution cross like.I quite fancy one for a bit of rural commuting/winter road rides

currently on sale too :D

Dunno, but have a look at the Focus Mares (only available from Wiggle IIRC). I've had mine for 12 months now. Mostly commuting duties, but rode HONC in full CX mode earlier on in the year. Can't fault the bike at all. From stock, as a CX bike, the only thing I've changed is the saddle (my arse is very fussy where it perches itself...). For commuting, I've got a different set of crappy wheels, shod with Conti Contact tyres, fit full mudguards, Acor light bar and a 39t inner ring (came with a 50/34, which is fine for CX, but a bit low for commuting).
  • I'm on this forum all the time, trying to look for places to get my biking news, but recently found this, has anyone else seen it already? I've never heard of it before, am I completely out of touch?

www.fingertips.net
  • supersonic
    pippa123 wrote:
    I'm on this forum all the time, trying to look for places to get my biking news, but recently found this, has anyone else seen it already? I've never heard of it before, am I completely out of touch?

www.fingertips.net

Dunno, but you are banned for spamming.
  • Would a mounatin bike be ok for doing this?
  • supersonic
    For what? For CX races, check the details of what is allowed.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    supersonic wrote:
    pippa123 wrote:
    I'm on this forum all the time, trying to look for places to get my biking news, but recently found this, has anyone else seen it already? I've never heard of it before, am I completely out of touch?

www.fingertips.net

Dunno, but you are banned for spamming.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Would a mounatin bike be ok for doing this?

For the majority of races and leagues yes...in fact, most of the riders are MTBers on MTB anyway. Some of the National Trophy Events are Cross Bike only events. I rode X Cross for 2 seasons and had my best placing on a GT Zaskar! It was a Technical & muddy course & I passed a lot of the cross bikes (not Nick Graig, David Baker or Tim Gould though :roll: ). On a smoother parkland course a cross bike will always be faster, mind you.. :wink:
    BAZZ