Halloween or Bonfire night

bradford
bradford Posts: 195
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Don what's his name type thread.I find it quite sad that Halloween an American import seems to have overtaken Bonfire Night in popularity.I don't mind Halloween but Bonfire Night is part of our history that should not be forgotten! What's your views on this?

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Prefer Bonfire night personally.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Remember remember the 5th of November!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Make sure your pets are inside!
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Stuey01 wrote:

depends some pets are not worried but yes cat/dogs tend not to like fireworks.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Halloween is actually an ancient celtic festival for the end of summer. Not American at all.
    But that aside, I prefer fireworks night - think it is the pyromaniac in me..... why as a kid I never got burned or my hand blown off, I don't know.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Halloween is actually an ancient celtic festival for the end of summer. Not American at all.
    But that aside, I prefer fireworks night - think it is the pyromaniac in me..... why as a kid I never got burned or my hand blown off, I don't know.

yup nothing like a good fire, sadly this being london (ish) I don't have a bonfire but we do have open fire plus place to let off rockets etc...
  • bradford
    edited October 2009
    Halloween is actually an ancient celtic festival for the end of summer. Not American at all.
    When i say American i mean in the way that we celebrate Halloween much differently than a Pagan would.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I just put the trick or treaters on the bonfire... seems to keep the numbers down.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Bonfire night! Fireworks! Bonfires! KABOOOOOOOOOM! :D:D
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    edited October 2009
    I've never had a trick or treat, my folks place is bit of a long and steep walk up though the woods, plus at that time my od folks dog was still alive, she wouldn't of though kindly of any one entering the garden, probably of eaten them to be honest...

and other places I've lived dunno why but never had mind you being a bit furry might put some off, and the fact I've never had a 9-5 job so where always working or at funny hours etc.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Bonfire night! Fireworks! Bonfires! KABOOOOOOOOOM! :D:D
    But which way did you vote Lit? Your post is ambiguous.
  • Bonfires and fireworks all the way!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Halloween is certainly not "American". They got it from the European settlers arriving there over the centuries. I went Trick or Treating as a child in the 80's. Nothing "American" about it at all.

Bonfire night was non-existant, naturally*. Now that I live in the UK, I can't warm to it. I like fireworks, proper fireworks. The piddling little things people fire off from their back yards are not proper fireworks. They are just anoying. The republican in me isn't too comfortable with the whole thing either.
    Halloween's catholic background (it's very much tied to All Souls Day) doesn't bother me though, probably helped by those out-of-touch religious types condeming it as devil worship or the like.

*Bonfire Night was a very big thing when I was growing up in Cork, but it was on July 23rd and had nothing to do with Guy Fawkes or the like. We spent weeks before hand gathering as much wood and tyres as we could lay our hands on. Wonderful stuff.
  • Wallace1492
    We think we do bonfires well. (In England/Scotland/Wales)

In Northern Ireland, bonfire night is the 11th July, ahead of the celebrations they have for the 12th July. They build such massive bonfires that they have to have a "Bonfires Commission" that gives the go ahead and does safety checks for some of the more major fires.

See these pictures:

bonfire_450x298.jpg

3376863.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3881965.stm
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As a child, Halloween.
    As an adult (allegedly :wink: ) Guy Fawkes, bongire, fireworks. roast tatties, a wee beverage :D

Halloween has been around for centuries.
    Trick or Treat is an American import, around the late 70's as I remember.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bradford
    What ever happened to penny for the guy? :( Used to love that when i were a lad :) Suppose it would be tenner for the guy these days!! With inflation an all!!
  • bradford wrote:
    What ever happened to penny for the guy? :( Used to love that when i were a lad :) Suppose it would be tenner for the guy these days!! With inflation an all!!

Aye, it was always great fun unless some grumpy old git decided to check whether the guy was actually one of your mates dressed up or not by jabbing it with a fork.

I still have the scars. :cry:
  • bradford
    :shock: :shock:!!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Bonfire night is more fun for grown ups. Also the idea that spawned it - a plot to blow up all the scumbags in parliament - has particular relevance these days. If only Mr Fawkes was alive now.... :twisted:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bradford
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Bonfire night is more fun for grown ups. Also the idea that spawned it - a plot to blow up all the scumbags in parliament - has particular relevance these days. If only Mr Fawkes was alive now.... :twisted:
    Brilliant +1 :twisted:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Don't mind Halloween, girls in Torquay use this as an excuse to dress real dirty. (Well more than normal).
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Stuey01 wrote:

depends some pets are not worried but yes cat/dogs tend not to like fireworks.

My cats don't give a sh*t - but my dog used to take up residence under the dining room table for about a fortnight. :lol:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    symo wrote:
    Don't mind Halloween, girls in Torquay use this as an excuse to dress real dirty. (Well more than normal).

I spent my whole childhood and teenage years living in Plymouth and yet I never knew this about Torquay girls. Why didn;t somebody tell me?! :(
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

In Northern Ireland, bonfire night is the 11th July, ahead of the celebrations they have for the 12th July. They build such massive bonfires that they have to have a "Bonfires Commission" that gives the go ahead and does safety checks for some of the more major fires.

You not 100% accurate there but close enough....No one does burning better than Northern Ireland and I'm sure you know enough to realise not everyone in NI celebrate the "Eleventh Night".
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wallace1492

You not 100% accurate there but close enough....No one does burning better than Northern Ireland and I'm sure you know enough to realise not everyone in NI celebrate the "Eleventh Night".

The South Africans once had a "novel" approach to it....
  • Porgy wrote:
    symo wrote:

I spent my whole childhood and teenage years living in Plymouth and yet I never knew this about Torquay girls. Why didn;t somebody tell me?! :(

ah got to the heads of the valleys towns, just because it's -10 below and well over 1000ft doesn't mean the ladies shouldn't wear, well very little at all...

mind you just because it's on show doesn't mean it's good I still have the mental scars from some ladies outfits...
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    MOAR CORPSES ON TEH BONE FIRE! RAWR!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • bradford
    A landslide!! Thought it would be.Fireworks,Bonfires and plenty amounts of food and Drink! The perfect night!!! Off to a Halloween fancy dress party! LOL!!!!