Tubs vs clinchers

Si C
Si C Posts: 130
edited January 2010 in Road buying advice
First of all, I suspect that this has been discussed in detail many times before. I have tried the search function, but it brings up nothing.

I have been deliberating a new set of wheels for weeks, and it's driving me bloody mad.

I started out with some go-race events this year, and did quiet well. Next year I want to step it up and race more regulalry.

Is it worth entertaining tubs at a cat 4 level? I already have a set of Ksyrium SL' clinchers that I can use on the new bike for training....just can't make my mind up on a new set of clinchers (perhaps Reynolds Assults) or going for a set of tubs from Wheelsmith.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    A year ago i would have said no. I have been converted by well impressed customers, lighter suppler and for your race day wheels a good choice. Modern tubs a so much better than the ones I took my views from.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    tubs will give you a better ride no matter what level your are at, but I'm not sure they are as beneficial as they used to be, given that clincher technology has improved dramatically over the last 10 years or so.

Still nice to have a set of 'special' raceday wheels though. I had a set of Mavic GL330s fitted with Corsa CX tubs and it did make you feel pretty special on raceday because the difference in ride was very noticeable - even if it didn't necessarily improve my results.. ;)
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    I've just gone the other way, changing my race wheels from tubs to clinchers. Don't notice the difference in ride quality at all. I do however no longer need to carry a spare tub or bottle of sealant(which I hated). The time it takes me to replace an inner tube compared to replacing a tub is less so better from that respect as well. The reason I changed to clinchers is mostly down to having too many punctures in too many important races. Of course the PF could visit on clinchers but, in my experience, never quite as often..
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    My adage is tubs for racing clinchers for training. Clinchers have gotten nearer to the quality of tubs, but for me, tubs still have a far better ride quality, especially for racing
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    there is a third option....
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tubeless? I wouldn't consider tubeless suitable for training because they can be difficult to remove. The big advantage with tubulars is that they generally stay on the rim if you flat whereas a clincher can leave you running on the rim - loss of control and can finish off a carbon rim too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    he wants them for racing though, not training
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dare I mention tubular clinchers? The best(and for some, the worst) of both worlds.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    dennisn wrote:
    Dare I mention tubular clinchers? The best(and for some, the worst) of both worlds.

You can. Then you can explain what the hell they are! I've never heard of them! :shock:

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    basically a tub but with a bead so you can use it on a clincher rim.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

You can. Then you can explain what the hell they are! I've never heard of them! :shock:

Check out www.tufo.com
  • Si C
    basically a tub but with a bead so you can use it on a clincher rim.

Ohh great. I posted this hoping to make a decision on tubs or clinchers....now theres even more choice....aarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh. :wink:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Check out www.tufo.com

great - the worst of both worlds....I can't help thinking that looks very unsafe...
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    If I could justify a set of wheels for racing only I would go for tubs. In my younger racing snake days there only were tubs and I, along with most other racers, used tubs for racing and training.

I now use clinchers for the convenience but I have to say that, IMHO, you just don't get the feel and the right sound from clinchers that you get with a good set of sprint wheels with tubs.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • dennisn
    softlad wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Check out www.tufo.com

great - the worst of both worlds....I can't help thinking that looks very unsafe...

I've used them for some time now. no complaints, no pinch flats(they are tubeless), no worries about punctures from rim burrs, no need for rim tape, no tools required to install or remove, don't come off the rim if you flat(like some clinchers), you can use really high pressures, they have worked fine for me. "Unsafe"? Not that I have ever experienced. Have used them on long, long climbs and long, fast decents - no problems.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Guys, do some research because some of things said maybe not quite true.

1) <MY opinion>Tubs with TAPE are so much more convenient than clinchers. It takes absolutely seconds to change a tub tyre. It takes minutes to change a clincher if you're lucky. if you're unlucky it will be a nightmare. Find the tiny thorn that caused the puncture!! Get the tyre seated properly without damaging the new tube!! Puncture a tub, rip the thing off, put the new one on very simple. Where tubs fall down is that if you do puncture them it's just too expensive to keep on buying. If you buy cheap ones they're just sht. If Michelin made tubs I'd have no problem using them every day.

2) For race wheels independent tests at www.biketechreview.com shows that there is very little difference (if any) between a good tub and a good clincher with a LATEX INNER tube.

3) Stay away from a certain brand mentioned, again check out the site mentioned to see why.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I used to race on tubs and they were far better than the high pressure tyres of the past.
    Then Michelin came out with the hi-lites and the gap narrowed.

Tubs are still marginally better than hi pressures in my experience - but now I only use them for racing on. Hi Pressures are really good these days. I ride GP400S tyres and tubs - I can feel a difference but its very close. I'd not ride tubs outside of races.
  • Si C
    Thanks guys. I think I'm going to stick with the original plan and buy a set of Gigantex 50mm carbon tubs with PMP hubs from Wheelsmith.

I can keep these for racing and the odd summer days ride, and use my Kysrium SL's for training.

With regards to best tubs, or best value I was thinking Corsa Evo?
  • Si C wrote:
    Thanks guys. I think I'm going to stick with the original plan and buy a set of Gigantex 50mm carbon tubs with PMP hubs from Wheelsmith.

I can keep these for racing and the odd summer days ride, and use my Kysrium SL's for training.

With regards to best tubs, or best value I was thinking Corsa Evo?

Veloflex Carbons are superb tubs. Mr Wheelsmith stocks them and can fit them for you if you like.

Great choice on the wheels too :wink: You gone for CX Ray spokes?

• I'm sure Veloflex Carbon are great, but are they better value than Vit Corsa CX? I'm doubting it!

Ribble have best price for these (get the 320 TPI) that I could find recently. Their customer service on small items is fine as well. :wink:
  • I'm sure Veloflex Carbon are great, but are they better value than Vit Corsa CX? I'm doubting it!

Ribble have best price for these (get the 320 TPI) that I could find recently. Their customer service on small items is fine as well. :wink:

Depends how you define 'value'

• dennisn
    FWIW. I think Continental Sprinters are very worthy tubulars. Good sturdy tire, ride very nice, not overly expensive, fairly low weight. I've liked them from the first day I tried them.
    FWIW I'm a TAPE(Tufo) user as oppossed to glue. Much easier. Tufo also makes some very nice tubulars.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Veloflex carbons are the best tyres I've used. Ever. That said I've seen the Vittorias for ~£35 recently, so they could be considered better 'value'
  • Si C
    I'm sure Veloflex Carbon are great, but are they better value than Vit Corsa CX? I'm doubting it!

The Veloflex are £66 a tyre! ouch...more than 25.00 more than the Corsa
  • how do tubs hold up to getting punctured,compared to clinchers? im looking at buying my first set of road wheels from derek at wheelsmith
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    About the same BUT one puncture and you throw the tub away (although you can fix them, it's a lot of hassle though) which can be more expensive. Only worth it for racing on IMO.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Infamous wrote:
    About the same BUT one puncture and you throw the tub away (although you can fix them, it's a lot of hassle though) which can be more expensive. Only worth it for racing on IMO.

I don't think thats a fair comment, there are plenty of LBS's that will repair a tub for about the same price as a new quality inner tube and its not THAT difficult to repair them, plenty of instructional vids on YouTube to help. You also have to weigh up the reduction in rotational weight as well, even a fairly sturdy training tub will be lighter overall than a similarly protected clincher.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    One good thing with tubs is that they are safer if you get a fast deflation. With a clincher you are straight onto the metal rim and the 'ride flat' ability of tubs has saved more than one winner in the past (Abraham Olano rode the last few km on a flat tub when he won the world RR championships). The very thought of a deflation on clinchers on a steep wooden track scares me.

For clinchers to perform like tubs they really need a latex tube and I have have many bad experiences with latex tubes in clinchers.

Tubs are less likely to 'pinch flat'.

Tubular wheels are lighter as they use a simple box section. Relatedly the flanges don't blow off a tubular rim after a bit of wear!

I have had quite a few big cuts in clinchers that needed more than a tube change, so the perceived disadvantage of carrying a new tub actually gives added peace of mind.

I would say that the added reliability and safety makes tubs worthwhile for racing.