2008 Giro 6 to 7 CERA +s possible

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited October 2009 in Pro race
could be interesting!

Retroactive testing uncovers possible cases

Six to seven riders at the Giro d'Italia 2008 are reported to have indications of the EPO derivative CERA in their retroactively tested doping samples, according to Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.

Padua public prosecutor Benedetto Roberti ordered 82 samples to be analysed at the “Acqua Acetosa” anti-doping laboratory. The prosecutor will now cooperete with the International Cycling Union to compare the results with data from the anti-doping lab in Lausanne. This should happen with the next weeks, with results to be announced within a few months.

The stored samples from the 2008 Giro were re-opened and re-tested after Emanuele Sella of Team CSF Navigare tested positive for CERA in the summer of 2008. The Italian had won three stages and the mountain jersey in the Italian Grand Tour that year.

At the time of the 2008 Giro, the test for CERA was still under development. Since then, numerous riders have tested positive for the drug, including at the Tour de France 2008 and Olympic Games in Beijing.

The 2008 Giro was won by Alberto Contador of Team Astana, followed by Riccardo Ricco (Saunier Duval-Scott) and Marzio Bruseghin of Lampre. Ricco tested positive for CERA during the Tour de France 2008 and was suspended for 20 months.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2008-gi ... -positives

Comments

• dave_1
    fingers crossed the UCI take Ricco down for a seperate offence from DF 08...

will any reallly big names be there? I wonder...
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Quite a few have since tested positive for CERA though. Could mostly be just the same names coming up again perhaps with a friend or two who did well?
  • Dave_1 wrote:

Come on Dave. Why are you always posting about a few bad apples doping?
    They are just a small percentage of all the tests carried out. :P :wink:

Poor old Ricco. I hope his mum loves him!

Would this be as a result of the police grabbing the samples a while back? I assume so.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

Come on Dave. Why are you always posting about a few bad apples doping?
    They are just a small percentage of all the tests carried out. :P :wink:

Poor old Ricco. I hope his mum loves him!

Would this be as a result of the police grabbing the samples a while back? I assume so.

:) well, it is hard to beat Iainf to break doping news so I couldn't resist it today...and well, it is kinda factual about the bad apples, hundreds of tests carried out , few caught. Ricco deserves a 2nd ban just cause he's annoying
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I don't think Ricco can be banned again.

But the goal posts have moved somewhat so I'm not sure.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    This is the relevant bit of the UCI regs regarding another prior offence. So Ricco can definitely be sanctioned. Or he most certainly can't.

"310. If, after the resolution of a first anti-doping rule violation, facts are discovered involving an anti-doping rule violation by the License-Holder which occurred prior to notification regarding the first violation, then an additional sanction shall be imposed based on the sanction that could have been imposed if the two violations would have been adjudicated at the same time. Results in all Competitions dating back to the
    earlier anti-doping rule violation will be Disqualified as provided in article 313. To avoid the possibility of a finding of Aggravating Circumstances (article 305) on account of the earlier-in-time but later-discovered violation, the License-Holder must voluntarily admit the earlier anti-doping rule violation on a timely basis after notice of the violation for which he is first charged. The same rule shall also apply when facts are discovered involving another prior violation after the resolution of a second anti-doping rule violation."
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited October 2009
    The cynical side of me thinks they'll be concentrating on LPR/CSF and the guys who have come up trumps, since.
    They shouldn't, as it's a waste.

If Contador is pegged, the forums will be ablaze with UCI corruption and conspiracy theories.
    Wouldn't want to see Gibo go down, so late in the day.
    Can't see it being Mr "Clean" Cunego.

Any offerings?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Who had their best ever grand tour at the Giro last year and has been riding like a big of poop ever since the CERA test came out?

Was on a team with a spectacular amount of positives last year....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Does he keep donkeys?
  • andyp wrote:
    Does he keep donkeys?
    Could become more of a full time occupation.
    Beloved in his homeland, but now riding for CONI's bad boy..........ummm...the mind boggles.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Bruse-ed ego?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Yeah , thats one guy that my money is on. Buresghin , it look very obvious at the time. Cant see AC being taken down , still too big of a fish too be fried!!
    The rest probably will be made up from the 'usual suspects' and wont come as much of a shock to anyone around here.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:
    Who had their best ever grand tour at the Giro last year and has been riding like a big of poop ever since the CERA test came out?

Given 2008 was the 1st year he didn't have to drag the Prince up every col, and that the parcours was relatively TT heavy (IIRC?) and that it was quite a stolid, boring Giro with DDL unable to worry AC, I'm not sure his result is indicative of CERA use.

He was my PTP pick so his performance was hardly astonishing.

Not that I'd bet me bottom dollar, like.

Strava is not Zen.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    LangerDan wrote:
    This is the relevant bit of the UCI regs regarding another prior offence. So Ricco can definitely be sanctioned. Or he most certainly can't.

"310. If, after the resolution of a first anti-doping rule violation, facts are discovered involving an anti-doping rule violation by the License-Holder which occurred prior to notification regarding the first violation, then an additional sanction shall be imposed based on the sanction that could have been imposed if the two violations would have been adjudicated at the same time. Results in all Competitions dating back to the
    earlier anti-doping rule violation will be Disqualified as provided in article 313. To avoid the possibility of a finding of Aggravating Circumstances (article 305) on account of the earlier-in-time but later-discovered violation, the License-Holder must voluntarily admit the earlier anti-doping rule violation on a timely basis after notice of the violation for which he is first charged. The same rule shall also apply when facts are discovered involving another prior violation after the resolution of a second anti-doping rule violation."
    So unless he admitted to previously doping when he was caught at the Tour, he can be banned again if he was found to have doped at the Giro?
    Happy days!
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Would the gassy Dolphin be among the suspects?
  • iainf72 wrote:

Lol do you write for the Bizzarre column in The Sun?!?!?!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Cant see AC being taken down , still too big of a fish too be fried!!

Well, if the Italians can take their own star riders out, I don't see why they won't do a Spaniard, especially as it would then mean the 2008 Giro title going to an Italian rider.
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    no one is too big to fail.
    they took down landis (ok maybe not a massive fish in overall terms but still the winner of the tour - wiinner until he got taken down)
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I wish there was a way to get this done in a more timely manner, but of course it does cost money.
  • How about Unfortunato Baliani?
    He was in just about every possible break, every day.....
  • freire
    freire Posts: 17
    i think the guys are Sella, Ricco, Piepoli, di Luca, Bosisio, Rebellin and Pfannberger. All tested positive for cera since the giro 08
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    I thought Pfannberger tested positive for normal EPO rather than CERA?