Advice on components for a bike I am building?

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
With help of a local charity organisation I am putting together a new commuting bike.

I am starting with an old Reynolds 501 Steel Frame and forks.

I want to mount mud guards, straight bars and a seven speed on a 53 front chain ring.

Should I be able to put on 700 wheels on this type of frameset? What wheels would you reccomend (not looking to spend a fortune)? Should I be looking at 23/25/28 tyres?

Cheers

John

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    That rather depends on if the frame is built for it! If it's really old, it may be set for 27" wheels which would make fitting 700s possible, but you may have to faff around getting brakes that'll line up. 27" wheels are still to be had, but the tyre choice is very limited.
    The other factor to look out for is the rear dropout spacing (OLN - over locknut dimension)
    If it;s an old racer it'll probably be 120mm, or possibly 125/126mm. Modern road hubs are usually 130, but again if you're going for 7 speed this should be doable.
  • glasgowbhoy
    will3 wrote:
    That rather depends on if the frame is built for it! If it's really old, it may be set for 27" wheels which would make fitting 700s possible, but you may have to faff around getting brakes that'll line up. 27" wheels are still to be had, but the tyre choice is very limited.
    The other factor to look out for is the rear dropout spacing (OLN - over locknut dimension)
    If it;s an old racer it'll probably be 120mm, or possibly 125/126mm. Modern road hubs are usually 130, but again if you're going for 7 speed this should be doable.

Thanks and appreciated.

What wheels would you reccomend? 26" would be okay too i think.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I forgot - if you fit 700c wheels and if it's a frame designed for 27" you should be able to fit whatever size tyre you want as 700 is smaller than 27". Again it depends on whether the frame was designed to take mudguards or not as ones that aren't sometimes don't have a lot of clearance for bigger tyres. If I were you I'd get the wheels and muds sorted and then see what space there was for whatever tyre size you want.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Should I be able to put on 700 wheels on this type of frameset?

Seven hundred wheels on one frame? I think that would deserve pics if you managed it.

;)
  • glasgowbhoy
    Jamey wrote:
    Should I be able to put on 700 wheels on this type of frameset?

Seven hundred wheels on one frame? I think that would deserve pics if you managed it.

;)

:lol: Cheers. I'll get back to you on that.

Can anyone recco any wheels from wiggle etc?

Would these work?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rit ... t-ec019113

Or is this a bit too much for a straighforward commuter bike?
  • with it' age the drop outs are likely to be a narrower than modern ones which are 130mm.

now my old bike is 126mm and a modern wheel fits fine though does require a bit of bad words.

if it's 120mm you'll need it cold set if you want to use modern wheels.

you could just get 27 inch wheels http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=0&f%5FWebLinkID=4544&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c003154c003137c004544

they also sell cheap 700'c wheels.

I have a old frame that has modern parts on it, but it wasn't cheap it has to be said to do it.
  • I commute through Glasgows east end and the roads are terrible, Pot holes, glass,metal etc. I see your a bhoy so youll know the roads

I have 700c x 28 running at 100psi at the moment but when these tyres are shot im defo moving up to 32s just for a bit of comfort

If i had any advise on glasgows roads then its dont skimp on tyres as im flatting easyily once a week.

If its any help then my dawes horizon has a 501 frame. ( dont know frame size but im 6 foot 1 and it fits me) and its wheels are
    28" x 1 5/8 x 1 1/4 . I think this now translates to 700c x 32.

Iv an old MTB bike that i dont use if you think the charity would take it. Dont think its ridable, would need picked up. Drop me a message if they want it..

The Baron.
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.