Any reason to buy a more expensive chain than Shimano 105?

DVV
DVV Posts: 126
edited October 2009 in Road buying advice
Need a new chain for my SRAM drivetrain, I can find Shimano 105 for £15 which seems to be the best bang for buck.

My question: Is there any reason to buy a more expensive chain?

I can also get Ultegra for £20, SRAM 1030 for £20 and there are options from KMC and Wipperman but I don't know much about them.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Get a chain with a quick link rather than a pin you have to push in.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • DVV
    edited October 2009
    I already have some KMC quick-links, and AFAIK they are compatible with SRAM and Shimano, so not too worried about that!
  • redddraggon
    If you have new quicklinks for the new chain, why not get a 105 chain? Nout really wrong with them.

Don't use a used quicklink with a new chain.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • DVV
    Yeah good idea, I will keep the used quick-link as an emergency spare.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    For durability the 105 chain will function as well and last as long as anything. Spending more will just get a more shiny finish and possibly save a few grams but not a more durable chain IMO.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Can see/feel/measure a difference with other throw away parts (tyres, brake blocks) but I don't see any difference with chains.

Buy cheap and buy often seems to be the most productive attitude to have towards chains.
  • Well as I just picked up 3 x 105 10speed chains for £40 at crc, I agree with chrisw12, hell, at that price I will replace every 3 months!
  • redddraggon
    For durability the 105 chain will function as well and last as long as anything. Spending more will just get a more shiny finish and possibly save a few grams but not a more durable chain IMO.

Well that's not entirely true. Campag chains don't stretch anywhere near as much Shimano chains.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246

Well that's not entirely true. Campag chains don't stretch anywhere near as much Shimano chains.
    :lol::lol:

that's because people who buy campag don't actually ride their bikes.

No ride=no stretch. :wink:

But joking aside, that would be a very easy thing to test, can you back that up with real data?
  • redddraggon
    chrisw12 wrote:

:lol::lol:

that's because people who buy campag don't actually ride their bikes.

No ride=no stretch. :wink:

But joking aside, that would be a very easy thing to test, can you back that up with real data?

It's anecdotal evidence from other people. I don't use Campag chains anyway, KMC or Wippermann - I can't say I've worn out a chain anyway, I tend to put a new one quite early.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr