Scratched handlebars on new bike, what to do?

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Hi Guys,

I picked my new bike up this week from my LBS. When I got it home I started to set it up, etc. I moved the brake levers inward only to find a really nasty scratch underneath on one side. I then took the grips off both sides, and both ends are covered in really bad scratches. The LBS had changed the grips over from my part ex bike before I picked it up, but both sets were lock on's, so shouldn't cause any scratching. I can only assume that this was somehow done at the factory when it was built. I rang the LBS as soon as I found the scratches, and he said that the only way to remove grips was with a screwdriver, so that's how the scratches got there. I then told him they were locks on's!!! You had better bring it in then, he said.

My question is, what can I expect from the shop? I have already changed the bars, as they were over sized. The bike is rigid, so I put standard ones on, so don't need another bar. Should I ask for a refund of the cost of the bars or what?

Not really sure how to play this one, so suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    It is possible to remove non lock on grips without scratching the bars, wrap the screwdriver in tape, or if you intend on not using them again, carefully cut thought them with a stanley knife
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    You may have a point about suspecting foul play here, but at the end of the day, the shop will surely say that you opted to change the bars anyway, and that if the bike was sold as a 'complete' bike, they cannot refund you for one component..?

Maybe just sell them on to a mate or on Ebay to be rid of them?

More importantly, check that there is nothing ELSE wrong with the bike, and that these scratches are just a one off...?

Is the shop in question a well known chain retailer, professional MTB shop, or just an independent trader selling whatever...?

KK.