If money were no object...

El Diego
El Diego Posts: 440
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
If you won the jackpot on the lottery or inherited millions in a Montgomery Brewster type scenario, what bike would you buy? Include some pictures if possible.

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    pinarello prince (in pink), the most expensive Van Nicholas (so custom build for my body), chris hoys track bike with victoria pendletons seat.
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    I'd need to come on here and and have you guys tell me :lol:

Something custom I think, set up exquisitly and ready for serious miles. Not worried by lightweight really, something robust and capable.
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • Can you only pick one?!

I do love the Pinarello Prince (the Dogma is very pretty too - crap name though)

or maybe a Scott Addict R1 (6.2 KG's !!!)

or something by Bianchi..... or Viner..... or Lynsky.... or that Fascianero thing (can't remember the manufacturer, but it's about 4 KGs and well 'ard.

I dunno, talk about asking an impossible question... just one?! utterly preposterous idea with all that money!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    1. Moulton Double Pylon. 2010 price is £14,500 for a DuraAce build.... DoubleP_Lrg.gif
    2. Viner Maxima RS. I love my mere Magnifica, this would have to be first choice for a high-end build. Completely custom frame, for sizing and ride characteristics to suit the owner. maxima_rs_web1.jpg
    3. Storck Fascenario 0.7 IS. Well, probably redundant with the Viner as well, but this is fantasy....bike_58.jpg
    4. A Van Nicholas or equivalent tourer/audax bike.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    I will require Wiggle to deliver a Focus Cayo to my workplace every day so I don't have to cycle to work but have a new bike each day to ride home on.

I will also require a domestique, Belgian preferably, to lead out every SCR and who will peel off 200 yards before home leaving me to bask in the glory of a succesful commute home.

Yes and Wiggle ....don't spare the Haribos, my loyalty shall not be taken for granted
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I will require Wiggle to deliver a Focus Cayo to my workplace every day so I don't have to cycle to work but have a new bike each day to ride home on.

I will also require a domestique, Belgian preferably, to lead out every SCR and who will peel off 200 yards before home leaving me to bask in the glory of a succesful commute home.

Yes and Wiggle ....don't spare the Haribos, my loyalty shall not be taken for granted

Nice idea....only a Cayo? Not the Izalco?
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • I'd buy a new house and this beauty!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Baum Corretto

3511347729_859dae09f3.jpg

None of this boring Viner/Pinarello/Trek/Storck/ crap.

TBH, if money was no object I don't see why people would be considering a crappy Van nicholas either.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    For race day:

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P42009

For weekend best:

My Ciocc but with Super Record and a pair of Lightweight Obermayers

Then a load of other bikes including a Whyte 19 Carbon Team for the muddy stuff, a Gios Pista based single speed build for fakenger days and something like my Touche for taking to the shops and not worrying about it being stolen.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • A really good tandem to get my wife or kids out more at the weekends.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Only one bike? :cry:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • I'm a simple man with simple tastes.

I'd stick Record (not SR) on Bike 1, and give it some Edge 45 carbon clinchers. Preferably, if I could get it done, with the rear drilled in the Campy G3 config, with a Campy G3 rear hub.

Hubba hubba.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    if money were no object this would be my commuting bike:

http://www.condorcycles.com/moda.html
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    http://www.moots.com/#/product/bicycles ... moots_rsl/

Custom one of these, with more traditional geometry and a more understated fork...it is higher up the list of priorities than a new car :) , but lower down than a new house. :cry:
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    To hell with more bikes...

I'd buy a Spitfire and marry Lost_in_thought!

:wink::wink:
  • always_tyred
    don_don wrote:

Aren't you closer to her mum's age?

(Sorry)
  • Perfect for commuting

trek_session_88.jpg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Perfect for commuting

trek_session_88.jpg

WTH is *that*?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Perfect for commuting

trek_session_88.jpg

Jeesus, the roads in Shawlands must be pretty bad!! And I thought Garscube Road was bad!! Or maybe you work on a hill sheep farm....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Perfect for commuting

trek_session_88.jpg

Jeesus, the roads in Shawlands must be pretty bad!! And I thought Garscube Road was bad!! Or maybe you work on a hill sheep farm....

That thing is horrific!!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    There are so many, but none of them would be your bog standard Pinarellos, Cervelos etc.

I don't like the look of titanium, though I've never ridden it, and aluminium and carbon have non-ideal ride qualities. So steel it is, and here's a candidate:

ssr_full.jpg
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    not really, it's fairly attractive as top level DH bikes go. Built for a specific purpose, does that very well. Although, if i needed one of those for my commute i'd have a real problem, no way you could pedal it back up the hill that you need that to go down!
  • I'd get custom built and specced examples of all types of riding I'd want

single speed
    fixed
    road
    time trial
    tourer
    slicked mtb for chasing roadies on the commute
    front sus hardtail mtb
    full sus downhill rig
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • don_don
    don_don wrote:

Aren't you closer to her mum's age?

(Sorry)

If it works for Bernie......

4058524274_576db51429.jpg

Not sure if he owns a Spitfire though :wink:
  • My Roubaix would be redone with SRAM Red and http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... odel=Roval Alpiniste SL Carbon Tubular Wheelset for the various Alpine rides I'd be doing from my new base somewhere near the french Alps or Pyenees....

My Langster would be waiting in my new house in Norwich, and would have Campag Record Chainset (With 44t custom made chainring), Record SR Brakes and brake levers. I'd also have some Campag Wheels custom made for freewheel too. I'd have an S-Works Barmac too.

Then I'd have my friends Salsa steel frame with full SRAM Red and Lightweights which would also be waiting for me in Norwich.

My ZX7R (Motorbike) would be ready and working :evil: , and as said, would have a house in Norwich and the Alps or Pyenees. Course the girlfriend would want something in Brighton or something too. :roll:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • don_don
    My Langster would be waiting in my new house in Norwich, and would have Campag Record Chainset (With 44t custom made chainring), Record SR Brakes and brake levers. I'd also have some Campag Wheels custom made for freewheel too. I'd have an S-Works Barmac too.

Then I'd have my friends Salsa steel frame with full SRAM Red and Lightweights which would also be waiting for me in Norwich.

My ZX7R (Motorbike) would be ready and working :evil: , and as said, would have a house in Norwich and the Alps or Pyenees. Course the girlfriend would want something in Brighton or something too. :roll:

We're talking 'money's no object' here.. and you'd stay in Norwich??? :?

:wink:
  • and get some one to make an uber version of this

http://www.instructables.com/id/turn-si ... ng-jacket/
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • always_tyred
    don_don wrote:
    If it works for Bernie......

4058524274_576db51429.jpg

Not sure if he owns a Spitfire though :wink:
    He has something you don't.

QPR.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I feel sick every time I see that man's visage.
  • always_tyred
    biondino wrote:
    I feel sick every time I see that man's visage.
    He reminds me of that little guy from Lost Highway.. or, wait, let me go onto google images....

This chap..
    191451__ns_l.jpg