CERVELO S1

FitzM
FitzM Posts: 232
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
Went to my local bike shop today and got a quote for a CERVELO S1 with Shimano 105 and Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo wheels.

I like it but before I part with any cash can anyone suggest an alternative?
Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028

Comments

• Escargot
    Escargot Posts: 361
    Sorry, can't really help with alternatives but my LBS is selling a 51cm S1 frame set for £749 (down from £999).

I don't know how that compares with your quote or if it's the right size but thought it might be worth letting you know before you part with your cash.

http://www.philcorleycycles.co.uk/
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ive got one... If you like the spec then go for it, but what price have they quoted for it?? Have you got a split down of the component pricing?? Just check the deal you're getting, Id consider Sram Rival over 105 and could be cheaper from the right place and be lighter too.

Cos its a frameset you can pick out every last component... if they don't sell a few of the bits youd like or are more expensive then ask them if you can supply some of the bits?? They'd be daft to turn you down if they're selling you the bulk of it.

Or... build it yourself or get someone to build it for you?? Good experience.

Anyway, all depends what they've quoted you for it???
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    CAAD9
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Use the Force if you can, I have 105 & SRAM Force and the difference is quite noticeable, IMO
  • FitzM
    I've ben quoted £2,100.

Build it myself! The last bike I built was for my paper-round over 20yrs ago. Escargot, thanks for the link, sounds like a bargain, I'll have a look today.
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • Escargot
    Escargot Posts: 361
    FitzM wrote:
    I've ben quoted £2,100.

Build it myself! The last bike I built was for my paper-round over 20yrs ago. Escargot, thanks for the link, sounds like a bargain, I'll have a look today.

Ouch :shock:

This may well be due to the Euro being strong against the pound but when I bought my new bike in July/August he had an S1 with Ultegra SL group and said it was up for 'about' £2300. I say 'about' as there's always room for manouver.

If you decide to contact them I can't recommend them enough as they're first class. AFAIK team Corley race Cervelo (tour series), hence him selling them for years. May be worth getting a 2nd quote.

Hope this helps :D
  • mfin
    FitzM wrote:
    I've ben quoted £2,100.

Sounds a little bit on the high side to me. Of course, it could be that the bars and saddle and bits and bobs like that are highly specced, you need a full spec cos you can then keep the weight of the final build down.

I think for £2100 you could spec an S1 up quite well... is that the white/red one or the new red/black one?? ...and in what size? (they've gone up this year by a couple of hundred quid with only difference being colour and a different seatpost).

If you like your LBS then fine, go for it, but maybe someone in your club would build it for you for a few quid, a lot of people enjoy tinkering and building. If that was the case you can then take advantage of loads of 'best prices' and deals on the internet and get something higher specced for the money.

If it was me and £2100 was going to a bike shop cos I couldn't do the above, then I think you can get some better deals on other bikes from one bike shop or another. Myself, Id be off to Epic Cycles with my couple of K or looking for an end of line deal somewhere. But, that's without seeing the whole spec.
  • mfin
    Use the Force if you can, I have 105 & SRAM Force and the difference is quite noticeable, IMO

Have you ridden rival? Ive got Force on one bike but with Red Shifters and Rival on another bike and the Rival doesn't embarrass itself at all. Force on the right deal is the best choice on price/performance/weight really though and it looks better than Rival which is a bit plain IMO.
  • FitzM wrote:
    Went to my local bike shop today and got a quote for a CERVELO S1 with Shimano 105 and Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo wheels.

I like it but before I part with any cash can anyone suggest an alternative?

If you want a dual purpose road/tri bike, then the S1 is arguably the best you can get for that kind of money. The Kestrel Talon is also meant to be quite good at both.

If you want a road bike, some people prefer the S1 and some prefer the CAAD9. They are both arguably the most accomplished aluminium frames.

Regarding groupsets and wheels, do lots of research and try out some alternatives. Then look around for deals on Wiggle/CRC/Ebay/Etc and either build it yourself or pay your LBS £100 to stick it all together for you.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I'd look into Sram at the least.

I have 105 and although I like the way it shifts (no thumb shifter) I've had nothing but trouble with my LH shifter, something to do with it being for a triple or a double. LBS has had 2 attempts to sort it and it still doesn't work properly.

Thinking of swapping my shifters when I can afford to Ultegra or maybe switching the lot to Force or Rival.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    You can get a full Sram Rival groupset at JE James for about £430 which combined with the deal above would leave around £900 for wheels, seat, post, bars, stem etc...

(FWIW, I'm a recent 105/Tiagra to Rival convert and there's light years between them in my opinion.)

That's quite a lot to play with considering you can get Planet X Pro Carbon 50s for £400 nowadays.Saying that, never used them so can't really comment.
  • FitzM
    Sharp intakes of breath as I state, I haven't cycled anything other than my Klein in the past 10yrs..... and certainly not the Cervelo S1 :oops:

I'll ask my local stockist if they'll let me ride one similar to the quoted build.
  • mfin
    Just gotta sell my 56cm S1 if anyone's watching this thread... put it in the classifieds section ...have taken the plunge on a Carbon frame and can't afford to keep both really, would be stupid... as new condition I think would be fair to say.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Give Royles a bell in Wilmslow, they had an S1 with a niiice build for 1800 today...

09 Rival, 3T cockpit and Aksium Race wheels.

It's a 56.

I'm sure they could sort you something out if that isn't your size.

I personally prefer Rival to Ultegra, let alone 105!

(I have Ultegra/Dura Ace mix on my winter/trainer at the mo).

Their number is 01625 543440, ask for Graham and tell him I (Alex) mentioned it. Should do you a good deal ;)

They also sell Cannondale in case you fancy a wonderful CAAD9...
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Hey

I managed to get an R3 with rival and hand builts (open pro on pmp hubs) for £2200, while that was an absolute bargain £2100 seems very high to me. A fair bit more than it would cost to buy the parts separately.

I'd be looking at getting a far better spec for that price
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    Did a spring sportive/winter/autum bike for the mrs. S1 frame 750 Ultegra 400 Ultegra Wheels 250 Ritchey bars and stem, SItalia saddle, tape 150 tyres, pedals cheap computer 130. Total 1680. Gave it to my local dealer and they built it for 150. Total 1830. All parts except frame from merlin/wiggle/CRC etc

much better build. good enough for any UK amateur low cat race and every sportive and saves you circa 300 to get a few drinks in while it pixses down with rain cos youre too afraid to ruin it