Upgrade Reba team U-turn or not??

twonks
twonks Posts: 352
edited October 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
After replacing my worn out rear shock with a Fox RP23 (SC Superlight), I am wondering if I should now look at the forks.

They are 2005 (I believe) Reba Teams with 85-115mm U Turn adjustment and remote poploc doofer.

The poploc cable has never been attached and the travel is never adjusted from 100mm.

I have to admit that I have never serviced or even touched the forks, other than checking air pressure. :oops:

They apear to be working ok, but a service would no doubt be well overdue.

Looking at the manuals I don't fancy taken them apart and messing myself, so may well send them off to be serviced and fettled by TF or similar.

Have newer forks improved to the degree that justifies £300 - £500 on something maybe lighter than what I have, or shall I just look to service the ones I have?

If I keep mine, is there any benifit in removing the U Turn bit to save some weight - assuming it can be done?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get them serviced.

they can be changed to solo or dual air by buying the appropriate bits and fitting them.

I would have a chat with TF tuned as they may have some other tricks they can do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • twonks
    I'll give TF a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Think they are already dual air things or simlar as the it says Air Uturn on the box iirc.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd also modify the damper so you can make full use of the compression adjuster (if it was for a poplock it will be sprung)
  • twonks
    Thanks SS, will do.

As a sidenote, I must say you get around a fair bit on the forum.

I think every one of my threads has had a constructive reply from your good self !

Must be the old school Zaskar owners following one another 8)