Another what winter tyres?

edward.wigmore
edward.wigmore Posts: 66
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

What do you think is the best all round winter tyre for dampchurned u soil with sometimes sloppymud, but luckly i dont get really deep slop like others. I have seen Schwalbe Nobby Nics and th Bontrager Mud X. They would be used for purly xc with some rooty dusty bits.

Thanks

Ed

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    There is no such thing as a winter tyre.

Tyres are designed for conditions no matter what the time of year is.

If you want a tyre that will deal with most conditions go for the Nobby Nic.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • ok thanks for the advic i will have a go with the nics mabye get the Mud-X over christmas if the mud does go to slop. Have to wait and pray it doesnt.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Panaracer Trailrakers are highly rated for wet winter use by a lot of people.
  • How many times do you really ride in deep mud though?
    My average ride includes gravel,mud,grass,tarmac.........
    I`d rather have something that is fast rolling for the frimer stuff than having the drag of a mud specifc tyre for the odd bit of deep gloop.
    I use Nobby Nics,OK in mud,but fast everywhere else.
    (Not good on rocks though....)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    I use a Kenda Nevegal up front and a Racing Ralph out back. The Nevegal isn't great on the road, especially the 'Stick-E' version, but it does give confidence when you hit roots and rocks at this time of year.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    jayson wrote:
    Panaracer Trailrakers are highly rated for wet winter use by a lot of people.

They are also highly rated for wet summer use, I put mine on when the conditions warrant not by time of year.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"