Bib shorts without a pad!

gbs
gbs Posts: 450
edited October 2009 in Road buying advice
I have just bought Gore Contest bib tights; perfect spec save for the absence of a pad. Now I have padded undershorts that I could use but my experience of these is limited to shorter rides on a hybrid.

So, I have niggling doubts re comfort over long distances on the narrower road bike saddle. Does any one have experience of this tights plus undershorts rig? If positive what undershorts have you found to be comfortable?
vintage newbie, spinning away

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    none of my bib longs have pads - I have always worn bib shorts underneath.....I didn't even realise people thought about this kind of stuff.....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Pearl Izumi and Montane undershorts are very good - the worst I've tried are Endura, the fabric hold moisture and looses it's shape
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gbs
    Monty Dog: thanks for the comment re Endura: exactly what I have. I have used them for pootling around on the towpath so sweating does not happen. Back to square one I think. Perhaps I will try the padded Gore Oxygen ( if available any where)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I personally wouldn't buy a pair of bib tights without an insert, as I have worn padded bib shorts undernearth non-padded tights and unless the tights are big enough, they are most uncomfortable.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I'm with Softlad, I positively avoid tights with a pad, as it means they need to be washed after each use, so can't easily be worn on consecutive days.

I wear my usual bib shorts (of which I have several pairs), and put tights on over the top. I have never had any issues with it being uncomfortable.

That way your investment in good quality padded shorts gets used all year round, and the tights are just a thermal layer over the top.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • DaSy
    Also to add, the reason I clicked on this thread was the title said "bib shorts without a pad"; now that would be a strange and novel idea...
  • softlad
    DaSy wrote:
    Also to add, the reason I clicked on this thread was the title said "bib shorts without a pad"; now that would be a strange and novel idea...

I dunno - lots of aerobics girlies wear them.... ;)
  • DaSy
    I dunno - lots of aerobics girlies wear them....

And of course Mick McManus....
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    DaSy may have answered this already but can anyone tell me WHY you would want to wear bib tights over bib shorts? Why not just wear tights or ronhill trackster style things?
  • DaSy
    DaSy may have answered this already but can anyone tell me WHY you would want to wear bib tights over bib shorts? Why not just wear tights or ronhill trackster style things?

Assuming you are asking why the bib part of bib tights, and not just tights that hold at the waist, then it is just comfort, the same reason I wear bib shorts instead of normal waisted shorts.
  • gbs
    softlad wrote:
    DaSy wrote:

I dunno - lots of aerobics girlies wear them.... ;)

Sorry; the text was correct ie bib tights w/o a pad. The title shorts is wrong. :oops:

How long do I stand in the naughty corner?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Never seen bib tights with a pad to be honest. Always wear bib shorts under bib tights and never even thought about it. I guess bib tights with a pad would be quite a bit more expensive and most people would have shorts with pads already.
  • giant_man
    Never seen them? Really?
  • Pross
    Haven't bought much in the past 15 years or so and never bought from the expensive ranges much as I'd love to! :lol:
  • giant_man
    Ah I see, well I have to say there are more manufacturers producing them now I guess than then. Good thing too imo. I never understood why you coudn't get tights with a bib. It's all about comfort for me.
  • Pross
    Could have done with padded shorts and padded tights on my last ride!
  • softlad
    I never understood why you coudn't get tights with a bib. It's all about comfort for me.

I suspect it's 'all about comfort' for most people.....
  • giant_man
    Indeed ....
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    DaSy wrote:

Assuming you are asking why the bib part of bib tights, and not just tights that hold at the waist, then it is just comfort, the same reason I wear bib shorts instead of normal waisted shorts.

Understood. Thanks.