Hub gear problem

PudseyPaul
PudseyPaul Posts: 59
edited November 2009 in The workshop
I have a shimano Alfine hub bike and after riding it for a month I have found the chain is starting to slip intermittently. My friend had the same problem and suggested it could be the chain tension? I have a manual for this but wondered if anyone had this experience and if they indeed found the problem to be chain tension?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    IIRC there are two red marks on the hub and they need to line up when in 4th gear.

I could be wrong..... but if they dont line up you do get a feel like slipping chain/gears but is it the gears slipping. this can be resolved with the cable tension.

BUT as it is one month old i would pop into the shop and ask them. if should be a 5 min max fix and if you take cookies it is likely it will be done while you wait.

Back to the chain it needs some slack or you will kill the bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    hi Paul,

Did you get this sorted. I've got an Alfine and love it. I've done a few things with it too. YELLOW dots need to line up for the cable tension. RED DOTS are inside the hub for the cassette joint alignment. Cable tension can be done by sticking your forearms between the down tube and the back wheel. I've found you don't have to have the chain super tight and a sllightly slack chain makes no difference to speed.

I'm no expert at all, but learning. Feel free to PM me.

Cheers
    J
  • jhkuo
    jhkuo Posts: 1
    I have a similar issue with my shimano Alfine hub. I get slipping feeling when I step down the pedal from stationary. But once the pedals are in rotation, I don't get any slipping at all.

Does anyone else have the same issue with this hub and know how to fix it?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Slippage is most probably due to mis-aligned cassette arm caused by the wrong cable tension.
    Put it in 4th gear and align the yellow dots using the adjuster on the gear shifter .You need to pull out the spring-loaded barrel to rotate it.

A loose chain wont cause slippgae but may jump off the chainring. Adjusting the chaion tension depends on the bike, ie horizontal dropouts, eccentric bottom bracket or spring-loaded tensioner widget.