1.8 tyre at front or back?

PeteJM
PeteJM Posts: 16
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi - Accidentally bought a replacement 1.8 Bontrager Mud X instead of 2.0. Forgive my ignorance but am I better off now shoving the 1.8 on the front or rear? I am confused as to whether a wider rear would give me more grip, or would the tinner tyre dig in deeper? Would a wider front give me more stabillity?

Any thoughts? Cheers, Pete

Comments

• rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    most say at the back as you can corner better with a larger tyre at the front, did you buy it online? if not can you not take it back or put it on ebay?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    pop it on the rear, 1.8" is great for really filthy conditions.
  • PeteJM
    PeteJM Posts: 16
    Cheers! Bit of a trek to return it now... Will try 1.8 on rear and see how I go. A great tyre for winter - didn't think it would make such a difference, even for a relative newbie! Cheers for the advice. Pete
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    As for reasoning, you'll get more grip with a fat up front (less load so grips better) and thin on the back (more load so goes deep enough to find something solid to hook up on)

not to mention most bikes have more clearance and few places for mud to get stuck (ie arch as opposed to seatstays, chainstays and front mech) up front.