Backpack Volumes

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone konw if (generally) the quoted volume for a hydration/backpack is inclusive or exclusive of the bladder volume?

For example I have seen the Camelback MULE quoted at 10l with a 3l bladder space. so can it take a 3l bladder AND 10l of stuff, or only 7l of stuff with a full bladder (so to speak!).

Confusingly I have also seen it quoted at 7l total, but that may be an older model.

I'm also having the same problem with the Osprey Talon series, there is a 5.5l one and an 11l one, but if this is on top of the bladder volume then the 5.5 would be fine, if not then I would need the 11l I think.

Hard to compare like for like really :roll:

Comments

• S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Look at them in a shop for the best comparison. The shape of the space is at least as important as the volume!

You'll be surprised how quickly you can fill a lot of volume with a pump, some tools, a jacket, and very little else! I find the packs with external straps offer the best size/weight/usability compromise.

The volumes quoted should be separate, however with a full bladder the bladder compartment will encroach on the main space, robbing it of volume.