Help buying Ay up bike lights and opinions

mb_ian
mb_ian Posts: 18
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hello

Been thinking about changing my stadium 3's to an LED set. Having read this months mbr I noticed Ay up got a 10/10 so did abit of research and cant find a bad thing against them.

Can anyone tell me the differene between the v4 and the mbr or (mtb set i cant remember). I know the mtb set are 2008 version but thats all. Is there any performance difference.

Also anyone's opinion would be great as I was thinking of getting Hope vision 4 before I saw these

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you read our What Lights thread? The Ay Ups did poor in WMBs testing.
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    I've been using AY UPs for the past two winter seasons and I can't fault them. I think it all comes down to how and where you ride. I opted for the single focused spot setup and have them on my handlebars, rather than helmet mounted.

I have stacked my bike a couple of times (in the daylight) and when it comes to the night ride home, press the button and they've worked every time so I can vouch for the build quality.

Battery life might not be the best. I get around 2.5 / 3 hours out of a full charge but again, that suits my riding.

For £160, with all the kit thrown in, I think you could do a lot, lot worse.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Review here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... tset-32374

They weren't in the WMB test this time round but they scored a terrible 4/5 last time :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah, my mistake, thought it was a 6 lol.
  • mellex wrote:
    I've been using AY UPs for the past two winter seasons and I can't fault them. I think it all comes down to how and where you ride. I opted for the single focused spot setup and have them on my handlebars, rather than helmet mounted.

I have stacked my bike a couple of times (in the daylight) and when it comes to the night ride home, press the button and they've worked every time so I can vouch for the build quality.

Battery life might not be the best. I get around 2.5 / 3 hours out of a full charge but again, that suits my riding.

For £160, with all the kit thrown in, I think you could do a lot, lot worse.
    I love mine. They are fantastic, i combine them with a helmet mount light and its more than i need.

Great back up as well.
  • dombra
    dombra Posts: 46
    got a set of bar mount ayups last year, very well made and thought out. 6+hrs batt life, other users must be using 1/2 size batt. i like a lot.
    this year though the DX light is a better buy. 3x DX is same cost as 1 ayup. 1DX also twice the power 1 ayup(sorry ayup and other light makers) servicing etc is an unknown at this point but still.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Go for an HA-III Bike light £50 quid from either Bob or Dx - Bob are currently shipping these in under 2 weeks.

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/haiii-ssc-p ... 27282.html
  • Ayups are not the brightest out there but for me the battery life far outweighs that problem. I have the normal sized battery on my mountain bikes and i typically get at least four hours use from it. The mounts are simple but work fine and i think the helmet mounting is excellant.