Your thoughts on this swingarm please

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ah, now that we see the other side, yes, that is an abortion. That's just not good engineering.
    In fact, it may be the opposite.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can defintely see the inner second link. I can only assume the chainstay link is to simply add lateral stiffness.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so the shock actuates on the bottom "arm" while the upper "arm" is for lateral stability.

and the shock has a remote lockout or damping adjuster.

MMmmmm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    it's a sinlge pivot, with an insanely complicated linkage for driving the shock, Nick.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes like i said. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    just thought I'd tranlate it to make it clearer :lol:
  • flamedude
    flamedude Posts: 119
    Its very hard to work out what is going on there. However if it is like any other Sunn out there the bike will run like a beauty for 6 months and then something will crack (sunn vertik - seatstay, sunn radical - chainstay, sunn radical - headtube!).
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    It is very similar to motorbike rear suspension and the banana swingarm that you Suzuki used to use on the RGV that evolved into the current swingarms used today for torsional strength. Don't understand purpose of the lower bars though.
  • jools182
    jools182 Posts: 216
    I like Sunn bikes

My mate in france won't rida anything else
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    CraigXXL wrote:
    It is very similar to motorbike rear suspension and the banana swingarm that you Suzuki used to use on the RGV that evolved into the current swingarms used today for torsional strength.

The RGV's arm was just a funny shaped conventional swingarm though... Nothing out of the ordinary about the suspension design, which is what makes this thing stand out. The arm itself functioned exactly the same as the old one, it just had different a different linkage and created clearance for them to move the expansion chamber on the exhaust.
    Uncompromising extremist