Capn Chesley Sulenburger (sp?)

jedster
jedster Posts: 1,717
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
That bloke who landed his plane on the Hudson with no fatalities. Just been interviewed on Radio 5 live. Apparently he's in town to pick up some kind of award.

It's now been definitively established that he is the coolest person on the planet. FACT.

After the plane had come to rest. He turned to his co-pilot and said "well, that wasn't as bad as I expected". Now that is olympic standard understatement. The man is a complete an utter legend.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jedster wrote:
    That bloke who landed his plane on the Hudson with no fatalities. Just been interviewed on Radio 5 live. Apparently he's in town to pick up some kind of award.

It's now been definitively established that he is the coolest person on the planet. FACT.

After the plane had come to rest. He turned to his co-pilot and said "well, that wasn't as bad as I expected". Now that is olympic standard understatement. The man is a complete an utter legend.

And a cool, if mental name as well. :D
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Staying cool under pressure & then some.
  • He sounds far too British to be an American.
  • jedster
    He sounds far too British to be an American.

Yes I know what you mean. Given the handicap awarded for being American in the global understatement stakes, his performance is all the more remarkable.

Incidently do you remember the bit about him walking the length of the plane twice to check that everyone was out? The second time he was up to his waist in water as the plane was sinking...

Top man. I'm a bit of a sucker for people who have a very clear sense of their duty and carry it out, calmly and quietly under extreme pressure.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I saw him interviewed on The Daily Show.
    He said, he could here in his voice he was a mess, but that obviously doesn't come across.

Did he mention the co-pilot?

On TDS he said when all else fails, all planes have a manual 'in case of emergency'.

Well as a cost cutting measure the airline had removed the tap index's from said manual.
    Therefore as the pooh was about to hit the fan, his co-pilot was having to look up 'landing on water', in the index, before he could find the relevant info.
  • jedster
    Did he mention the co-pilot?

I didn't hear that story. He did say that when they were heading for the water he asked his co-pilot "any ideas?". His co-pilot replied "actually, no" which also shows adirable restraint under the circumstances!
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    My favourite is still Captain Eric Moody

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

My favourite quote of his is quoted in the "aftermath" section. A few years ago I cycled with a 747 pilot who had flown with Moody. He was, by all accounts, the living embodiment of the story, i.e. if anyone was going to make it, then he was. Proper Battle of Britain type stuff...
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan