Fork Juice! Has anyone tried it?

KonaKurt
KonaKurt Posts: 720
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I'm interested in this spray, as my stanchions are quite dry and sticky.

Has anyone tried it and noticed a difference?

Also, what exactly IS it? Alcohol solution? Oil solution? Someone tells me it is simular to a brake disc cleaner solution and that you could spray that on instead?

KK.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I've got some and it seems really good. I think it's pretty much the opposite of brake disc cleaner!
  • KonaKurt
    Thanks for the links Nick. Sounds like good stuff...

KK.
  • KonaKurt
    Great, I will get a can today. I'm amazed that nobody thought of stanchion lubricants years ago..!

Great, Super, Smashing...!

KK.
  • Just read this and ordered some, I'm hoping it's going to work magic on my new DJ3s
  • KonaKurt
    It's a shame that there is a very limited number of stockists around the country. None at all near Oxfordshire!

i just popped into a Halfords store earlier (shame on me.. ) and mentioned this stuff to the guys there. They thought the whole concept of lubing your stanchions was ridiculous, and claimed that the oil bath in your forks should lube them already. I disagreed and told them, NO not always the case, exposed stanchions WILL dry out quite rapidly during use.

There again, I think Halfords cycle departments are ridiculous (not to mention very badly stocked), so there!!

I can't wait to have silky smooth forks again...!

KK.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    3 in 1 Oil tried and tested and been around for years
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I'm sure they know better in Halfords than Santa Cruz Syndicate's Downhill team

ForkJuice-santacruz-web2.jpg
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    had a can for a few months now. no complaints, seems smoother and it's keeping the forks in good working order.

will buy again.

p.s., had a mail from them advertising a new de-greaser and chain lube.
    LOL road riding.
  • KonaKurt
    By the way, interesting question that...

What happens if you DO try to lube your stanchions with a light oil, externaly (ie, on stanchions above the seals as opposed to internally from oil bath as designed)?

A mate told me that doing so will rot seals and greatly increase the amount of crud that gets inside seals. True??

KK.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    edited October 2009
    Double Post.. doh!
  • Mieral oil (3-in-1 etc.) can perish rubber seals, however I bleieve the mechanical seals on MTB forks are more of a neoprene come eurethane type compound.
    I tend to use MucOff "Bike Spray" on the stanchions, this is silicone based and does the job, when it's finished I will certainly invest in some Fork Joice
  • GT85
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nah, full of solvents.

Read what the manufacturers say - some say not to use silicone as well!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mieral oil (3-in-1 etc.) can perish rubber seals, however I bleieve the mechanical seals on MTB forks are more of a neoprene come eurethane type compound.
    I tend to use MucOff "Bike Spray" on the stanchions, this is silicone based and does the job, when it's finished I will certainly invest in some Fork Joice

fork oil is Mineral.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Been interested in this stuff myself, might try some when my bottle of fork oil runs out. Which at this rate will be in 2017, but still, it's good to plan ahead.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
    edited October 2009
    After I wash and dry my bike I dip my finger in some fresh gear oil, smear a little on my stanchions, pump the forks a good few times to lift the dirt out of the seals and wipe off the excess. Job done.

I'm pretty sure that my forks were never designed to have an aftermarket lubricant sprayed over them, and forks on MX bikes and motorbikes have survived pretty well until now without stanchion lube, so I think I'll give it a miss.
  • why don't you just use a drip of fork oil?

I'm fairly sure thats what the manual says?