What Cassette?

Johnny Chimpo
Johnny Chimpo Posts: 104
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
I have just ordered a set of Mavic rims with hope hubs and had initially intended to use my existing cassette with the wheels. However I have been reading up on this forum and have seen that my cassette (PG950) will damage the hub's alloy body.

Can anyone recommend a replacement cassette that would be suitable, I have been looking at the PG990 cassette on Merlin, but ideally dont want to spend £50 on a cassette unless I had to.

I have also read that shimano XT cassette's would be fine due to the alloy carrier, but would this be okay to run with my existing chain and fron groupset?

Comments

• MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I run the XT cassette on a hope pro 3 with no problems as yet.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    what is your current chain and groupset? However I recon Xt will be fine. I run one on a Pro 2 hub without any issues
  • Not entirely sure if this is the info you need, just taken it from the bike spec (giant terrago) on the giant site...

Chain is a Shimano HG73 and front setup is Shimano FC- M443 22/32/44

Another quick question, if I fit a shimano cassette, is it still okay to use a SRAM front and rear mech and front groupset (all future upgrades). :?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yes, all compatible.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • If changing the cassette,you should be replacing the chain aswell.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    not sure of the SRAM model numbers, but Shimano XT and XTR cassettes will be fine with the hub and also compatible with the rest of the drivetrain.
  • Thanks for your help all.... just ordered the XT cassette and XT chain from Merlin..... :D

Thats definately the last spend on the bike for this year and next years wedding will prevent any money getting spent on upgrades for a good while :cry:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Keep telling yourself that and it may come true....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Thats definately the last spend on the bike for this year ...:

If the date was 31/12/09 I might've believed you. :lol:
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    Sram pg 990 gets my vote
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337