Thinking of Getting a 29er......

cheehee
cheehee Posts: 427
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I'm considering a new bike for the new year, and I'm thinking of a 29er.

I'm tall at 6'3", devilishly handsome and in posession of god-like riding skills..........(some of that may not be true) :wink:

I want it for light trail (XC) riding, bridleways etc and I plan to do some more XC races in 2010.

I reckon a fully rigid, geared 29er would suit me for what I use the MTB for. Cos as much as I like Seasons, Roam et al, I am not, nor ever will be the second coming of Andrew Shandro.

I would appreciate your 29er based experiences..............

Cheers

Cheehee

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As with any bike, try it out and if you like it, get it! Just like regular sized wheels, geo can vary so they won't always feel the same.

General traits are slower low speed handling, lower acceleration, heavier, but faster rolling.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are 29ers allowed in competitive XC races? I remember there being a big hoo-haa about 24" wheeled DH bikes, and an even bigger one in the trials scene.
  • cheehee
    Are 29ers allowed in competitive XC races? I remember there being a big hoo-haa about 24" wheeled DH bikes, and an even bigger one in the trials scene.

I'm not sure, I'll have to check.

I only have done one race in the 'fun' category.........When I say race, I mean I wobbled around the course.

I asked for a refund because the race organisers idea of 'fun' seemed poles apart from my idea of fun. Goddamn sadists :wink:
  • supersonic
    I believe that they are allowable by UCI.

So are cyclocross bikes for XC, but nobody uses them because they are sh1t.
  • Anonymous
    Well, cyclocross is basically riding a wholly unsuitable bike. It's not a sport, it's a (an incorrect) mentality :lol:
  • supersonic
    Rode by ancient beardies, those who think XC bikes are too gay for them, and those who want something they can say to their friends is 'arder than a roadbike.

Basically prats.
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
    Love it!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    :D
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    I agree - it's like a hybrid for people with more money than sense
  • Cyclo-cross bikes are faster than mountain bikes for 'cross racing, however. In fact, they're banned in the Lightwater Laike mountain bike race at Ripon that takes place in early November. It's an easy course that's more like a cross course, and a cross bike would be a real advantage. 700C wheels are noticeably faster on open grassy sections.
  • cheehee
    <cough> What about 29ers??

:wink:
  • 29ers also use 700C wheels (albeit with a wider rim). Like 'cross bikes, they're also quicker over stuff like grass, as well as sand, snow and soft mud (the bigger wheel doesn't sink in as much). They take the edge of stutter bumps too. Some are a handful to flick through twisty singletrack, but handling is getting better as designers are doing things like reducing trail and improving wheel, fork and frame stiffness.

Not everyone likes 'em. I do. I've raced on mine, ridden all kinds of stuff. I mostly ride with people on full suspension 26ers and a hardtail 29er keeps up well. Fully rigid isn't quite the bruising experience it is on 26in, but for choppy surfaces you'll still benefit from a suspension fork.

Try some. You might like one.
  • Anonymous
    ^^^Dan Joyce is a beardy prat!

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    cx bike are great for particular terrain, but if i were designing an xc race course it wouldn't really be doable on a cx bike. Something like a monstercross bike would be cool though.