Cavendish to Sky in 2011

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2009 in Pro race
This is being pretty widely reported, including in Het Laatste Nieuws

They've hired a lot of his train so its hardly surprising.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• iainf72

Can you trust him though after the outrageous fibs in Boy Racer? :wink:
  • Not biting, Iain
  • iainf72
    Not biting, Iain

Booo.

Oh well.

On the original subject, he always said he'd remain at High Horse while they had the best team but his train is weakened quite a lot now. Will be interesting to see how the new guys work out
  • If you're interested, Mark will be signing his book, Boy Racer, at two events in London in November, more details of which will be published on BikeRadar in the coming days.

Provisional info is as follows:

Waterstones Canary Wharf - Cabot Square
    Cabot Place East
    London, E14 4QT
    Wednesday 25th November, 12.30 - 1.30pm

Waterstones London Wall
    54 - 55 London Wall
    London EC2M 5RA
    Thursday 26th November, 12.30 - 1.30pm
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    I read the book before the tour.
    Amusing enough read.
    However the garbage that has come out of him post tour i.e. hushovd et all made me revise my opinion of him. Added to that he has also notched up at least one "crime against fashion" conviction recently.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    On the original subject, he always said he'd remain at High Horse while they had the best team but his train is weakened quite a lot now. Will be interesting to see how the new guys work out

He left that deliberatley (sic) open didn't he? That basically he's gonna go where the best team is that can guarantee him wins. Be that Sky, High Road or The Shack then so be it
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    Widely reported? It's an echo chamber out there.
    iainf72 wrote:
    but his train is weakened quite a lot now.
    Not really. Renshaw is still there and everyone else is just a cog in the machine. More or less. Bak, Goss, and Roulston should be able to fill in nicely. As of today, Sky certainly aren't close to being competitive.

Also, chances are Wiggins will join Sky for 2011. Would Cav join a team where he would have to accept joint leadership in the TdF? I doubt it.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    intothe12 wrote:
    However the garbage that has come out of him post tour i.e. hushovd et all made me revise my opinion of him.

Post-tour? I was aware of the comments he made during the tour (for which he apologised to Hushovd), but I haven't heard him mouth off about the other sprinters after.

What did he say?
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:
    Not biting, Iain

Booo.

Oh well.

Yea but don't Sky seem to be leaning towards trying to make a team that are competitive in the GTs for overall, rather than just in the sprints? I always thought that was their intention anyway. Besides, Cav has some history with british cycling with regards to Beijing last year...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    johnfinch wrote:
    intothe12 wrote:
    However the garbage that has come out of him post tour i.e. hushovd et all made me revise my opinion of him.

Post-tour? I was aware of the comments he made during the tour (for which he apologised to Hushovd), but I haven't heard him mouth off about the other sprinters after.

What did he say?
    "It was a paper decision that decided the jersey last year. Well just have to hope that there are no dodgy barriers this year," Cavendish said

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-eyes-five-stage-wins-in-2010-tour

I wouldnt call Hushovd's attack in one of the toughest mountain stages and the subsequent collection of points a paper decision.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I might be wrong but didn't thor win overall by 10 points? Cav lost 15 when he was dsq'd
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    Indeed, Hushovds superb break into the mountains would have been immaterial if it weren't for the bullshite that preceeded it.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    prawny wrote:
    I might be wrong but didn't thor win overall by 10 points? Cav lost 15 when he was dsq'd

But you can't say that if Cav didn't get dsq'd he would've won the Green Jersey; far too many variables and ifs and buts.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    prawny wrote:

But you can't say that if Cav didn't get dsq'd he would've won the Green Jersey; far too many variables and ifs and buts.

You're looking at it from the outside.

If you were Cav and regarded it as a wrongful judgement and DQ'ing, then yes you would !
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Daniel, is Cav doing any book signings in Scotland?
  • Tusher, there are tentative plans for other events, including one in Manchester, but nothing in Scotland that I know of. I'll keep you posted...
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Tusher, there are tentative plans for other events, including one in Manchester, but nothing in Scotland that I know of. I'll keep you posted...

Daniel - Its a trap!. Have you not seen Tushers other posts about Cav? It'll be like "Misery" - he'll go missing on his way back from Waterstones and eventually be found in some remote Scottish "shrine", tied to the bed frame with tubulars and old 6-speed chains.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'