Daughters 21st etiquette

the ferry
the ferry Posts: 258
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
...yeah This Saturday room hired nice modest party for oldest daughters 'coming of age'.

Any suggestions for a few nice words/funnies while i thank one and all for turning up?

Thanks

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    say anything you like - yer average 18 year-old at a party would be too pissed to notice... ;)
  • During my 21st I thanked my Dad for coming and Mum for being there when he did! :shock:

Vive les All Blacks!!! [:D]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Say nothing is best as any speech will only lead to an embarassed daughter! :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    whatever you say, make it very short then leave the youngsters to it. Of course, you can return at the end to clean up :D
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    "drinks are one me"
    should go down well
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I was once at a 'sort of' girlfriend's, 'sort of' 21st birthday party and her dad gave
    a very long and rather odd speech. Everyone seemed to think this was normal, not
    in my world.
    exercise.png
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    When I lose my daughter to adulthood, I will want to say something to her, in front of her friends and family, about how proud of her I am. I couldn't care less if that introduces a note of sincerity into some people's otherwise frivolous idea of a good party.

I'll keep it short, keep it sincere and I won't try to embarrass her nor pander to the youngsters' sense of humour. But I will have my say! :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• the ferry
    ...yeah you get the idea..will have to get it from my own head i suppose which is probs how it should be anyway!

:) the nice bits i can handle though a few funnies would still be appreciated.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    seriously - leave the funnies. There is probably a significant gap between what people on here would think is funny, compared to the reality of teenage humour today....it would just be embarrassing...
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I always though that the whole point of being a parent to an 18 - 21 year old was to embarrass them!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • nolance
    nolance Posts: 79
    I think its up to your daughter to thank everyone for coming and for you to keep out of it,pay for the thing and tell her in the privacy of your own home whatever you want to say to her.
  • softlad wrote:
    seriously - leave the funnies. There is probably a significant gap between what people on here would think is funny, compared to the reality of teenage humour today....it would just be embarrassing...

No, No, No. I'm sure we can all club together and come up with something appropriate. I'm sure we are 'down with the kids'. :lol:

P.S. Is there anyway you could film the speech?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I teach, so have to deal with "young people" every day.

Here's my advice:

1. If you must say something, remember to slip in the word, "like" at regular intervals.

2. It's best to keep your mouth shut and your wallet open.

Enjoy the day!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    make sure your heart rate returns to normal before you start said speach after watching all her mates on the dancefloor with skirts the size of belts lol :oops:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    keep it spirit-crushingly embarrassing for her.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Anything about childhood pets - "pookums the hamster", that sort of thing - would be particularly toe curling for her.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Best piece of advice for your daughter's 21st............ don't crack on to all of her attractive friends :twisted:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    MattC59 wrote:
    Worst piece of advice for your daughter's 21st............ don't crack on to all of her attractive friends :twisted:

Fixed that for you :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • best thing to do is invite me and ill keep all the fit friends busy lol

or im sure there are a few more on here that will come and give you moral support
    dont only ride a bike
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    prawny wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Worst piece of advice for your daughter's 21st............ don't crack on to all of her attractive friends :twisted:

Fixed that for you :wink:

good point well made :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    As a hip youngster down the kids, I should point out that 21 year olds don't really qualify as teenagers any more... They have nearly finished university and haven't lived at home for 3 years.

In terms of a speech, part of me thinks that it would be crushingly humiliating for her. That same part encourages you to therefore make the most of those rare opportunities to embarass. Also a great opportunity to impress your audience with your witty humour, hilarious stories involving nappies and tales of things she did when she was 12.

Once said and done tho leave asap.
    Theres nothing quite so creepy as an old guy in the corner of a dancefloor watching girls dance... If you are going to do that at least remember to bring your anorak, binoculars, and some tissues... :shock:

Also as a side issue this is the last opportunity you'll have to hit on her attractive friends (who will all be drunk) at an event you're running. Make a note of any backrooms that may exist as you'll be visiting them later...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Theres nothing quite so creepy as an old guy in the corner of a dancefloor watching girls dance... I
    There's the start of the womens Tour of Flanders in the market square at Oudenaarde -- plenty of unaccompnaied middle-aged men casually spectating there.
  • the ferry wrote:
    ...yeah This Saturday room hired nice modest party for oldest daughters 'coming of age'.

Any suggestions for a few nice words/funnies while i thank one and all for turning up?

Thanks

Mine was spent in Utah. Mormon state with almost dry state. That didn't stop us drinking though.

Just thank them for coming and let them all get drunk in the pub next door :wink::D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    I think it's essential you show your "street" credentials and attempt some sort of rap. They'll like that.
    In particular I think you should draw attention to the new outfit you've bought for the occasion - it doesn't matter what, as long as it's something recently worn by someone on X Factor or Hollyoaks.

I would definitely chat with your daughters friends, so they can see how and why it is your daughter is so cool and popular, she would appreciate that, I am sure.

Lastly, it's essential you get this party started by busting some moves, and maybe show those kids a thing or two.

Much love

K
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • the ferry
    read them all with a smile - thanks

I dont think it reads well but my only funny (to me) true story:

12yr old shows me her art homework me sitting on couch, large scrap book.

'It's on different textures' Thats nice i say a peice of wallpaper peice of cloth and oh a big triangle of carpet...hmmm..that looks like our carpet....slowly scan living room and sure enough corner of room has a triangle peice of carpet missing!

To wife in exasperated tone 'she's had me carpet away' 12yr old 'well i thought you could put some furniture over it' :lol:
  • ...Wow one of those nights that couldn't have gone better. Enjoy the good times guys as we cant avoid the other times.

I did make a short speech that people were kind enough to say they enjoyed, a couple of laughs and a teary bit - what a night and what a kid! :D