Shipping Specialized Big Hit

thediscoflamer
thediscoflamer Posts: 14
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Valued Forum,

I have recently bougt a spcialized Bighit on Ebay, and I'm having some trouble getting my grubby paws on it. The bike was in Bristol, and only available for local pick up, so on winning the auction I had a cousin who lives there pick it up. I live in Aberdeen, and it's proving ridiculously hard to get it up the road.

I'm told that 08 Bighits and 08 Enduros need larger than average boxes, so putting them in a standard box isn't an option. ??.

Basically, I need to know if there's a way to get it up here without any packing, or if anyone has any ideas for easy transport of the bike. My cousin is just a wee toot, and she doesn't have any tech bike knowledge.

All ideas welcome!!!

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    bubble wrap. Plenty of it.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    the only way to get it shipped without packing it up is to put it in a car and drive it yourself (or have someone else bring it for you). I would very much doubt that any courier/parcel company would accept the bike 'loose' as it were.

I bought a Patriot from a guy on here a while back...18" frame, so your bighit shouldn't be any bigger physically than that....

I phoned parcel force who picked it up from the guy in tunbridge wells and delivered it to me in edinburgh.....pick up and delivery costs were about £40 IIRC....

It did have to be packaged though. The chap got an empty bike box from a bike shop, then then undid the wheels and handlebars and rear mech. bubble wrapped all the bits and stuck them with tape to the frame....

pedals off...also bubble wrapped and stuck to the frame.

bike in box, with handle bars and wheels to the side of the bike and fill up with loads more bubble wrap.

He obviously spent quite a lot of effort making sure it was packaged correctly and I experienced no issues.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    ride it

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!