Agassi - seems tennis is a bit more lenient!

bigmat
bigmat Posts: 5,134
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Been looking at Agassi's revelations in his forthcoming book and it confirms that the doping controls in tennis are an absolute joke (also read elsewhere about the 7 failed tests for nandrolone that were swept under the carpet in similar circumstances). When are other sports going to catch up with cycling, or is cycling just going to have to put up with being the "bad boy" of professional sport when in fact it is doing far more than most to eradicate doping?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8329193.stm

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Strikes me that it is the cycling "fans" that are the ones rabidly promoting the image of cycling as a dopers sport, just look at all the conspiracy theories abounding on here.
    Do people outside of cycling fans actually consider it the bad boy? Probably not, they most likely don't even think about it.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Have to agree that cycling "fans" sometimes appear like the sport's worst enemy in terms of helping to publicise and perpetuate doping suspicions.

I also think that the measures taken by the UCI and race organisers to deal with doping have on one hand cleaned up the sport to a significant degree but also given the general public the impression that if you win a bike race you did it with assistance.

The hilarious banter of my non-cycling friends and relatives bears testament to the (ignorant) perceptions of the mases.

I would love to see some form of uniformity in drug testing and sanctions across the sporting world. The way in which the US sports address drug violations is hilarious, but even closer to home our traditional home sports seem to tolerate the odd infraction without much of an eye being raised.
  • The thing with this though is that WADA was only set up in 99 so before that (like this case is from) there was no uniform set of instructions as to what to do in each sport.

There still isn't a ciomplete list but at least it's better. As for cyclign fans being there own worst enemy, I think it's a bit six and two threes. Cyclists are knwon as dopers,. and cyclists know that they're known in that way so..
  • Personally I blame the cyclists who still dope for tarnishing (if it can be further tarnished) the sports reputation. Its not the fans who talk about doping who are the problem.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • I love the way he got out of a ban though by saying it was an 'accident'.

Excuise me Mr Agassi. You have fails a dope test for Crystal Meth. You face a lengthy ban. Do you have anything to say?

:? erm.... I took it by accident? :oops:

Oh right. I'm frightfully sorry, we didn't realise. Sorry for troubling you, you won't hear from us again. Cup of tea?..
  • Vino
    Vino Posts: 184
    it eez no surpreyes that your Andy Murray is making much complaint about modern testing.

Eet would nearver have happened in Agasi day couse is no matter about getting caught.

I can tell you from expeerience that it is big problem now. The Calves look at modern tennis player copmplining and laughs inside Vinos black soul.

Anyway, enough of this bring me the vodka and tonights entertainment!

AVE CALVES
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    MatHammond wrote:
    Been looking at Agassi's revelations in his forthcoming book and it confirms that the doping controls in tennis are an absolute joke (also read elsewhere about the 7 failed tests for nandrolone that were swept under the carpet in similar circumstances). When are other sports going to catch up with cycling, or is cycling just going to have to put up with being the "bad boy" of professional sport when in fact it is doing far more than most to eradicate doping?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8329193.stm

All the stuff that I have read about Agassi's failed tests relate to 1997 - ie. Pre-Festina days. (Although I could stand corrected).

Sure, the issue was swept under the carpet, but it's not the first time that's happened with a big name. Carl Lewis famously failed a doping control and he blamed it on everything under the sun (cold tablets, herbal tea), and yet kept his reputation intact.

In the world of professional cycling pre Festina it was a matter of as long as you kept your HCT below 50 you were okay regardless of how you achieved your levels.

I wouldn't say Cycling was at the forefront of eradicating doping when Agassi was experimenting with Crystal Meth.
  • http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oc ... CMP=AFCYAH

I actually think it sounds like a very interesting read, an honest account laid bare of what life as a perfectionist sports star is/was like when confronting his limitations. Perhaps not as dark as Rough Ride, but then again something thought provoking about motivation and expectations.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    I wonder how many cyclists hate riding their bikes as much. Being a domestique in a freezing cold, raining classic, having to go back to the car to get 10 water bottles, I'd imagine quite a few..
  • Apparently Boardman and Millar, according to that Guardian review. Queen Vic has something to say about the personal joy of winning being spoilt by the sense relief at having not let the team down by losing. Still, that's part of the deal of being a professional.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    bikerZA wrote:
    I wonder how many cyclists hate riding their bikes as much. Being a domestique in a freezing cold, raining classic, having to go back to the car to get 10 water bottles, I'd imagine quite a few..

If you read any books/articles on Pantani you will see he hated cycling and he hated the mountains more which is why he rode so fast up them so as to get away from them quicker. I suppose it's a form of addiction - can't give it up, can't do without it.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    Admit to taking a drug (NB "recreational", not performance enhancing, so athletic reputation intact); add personal turmoil and angst; whip up the headlines; and sell lots of books.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oct/29/andre-agassi-hate-tennis?CMP=AFCYAH

I actually think it sounds like a very interesting read, an honest account laid bare of what life as a perfectionist sports star is/was like when confronting his limitations. Perhaps not as dark as Rough Ride, but then again something thought provoking about motivation and expectations.

I know I'll be reading the book (and not because of this drug story).

In his early years (even up to 1997) I used to hate Agassi: too brash, too arrogant blah, blah, blah. Couldn't stand the marble washed denim shorts, the hair extensions etc.

But he ended up maturing, and towards the end of his career was one of my favs.

Now, if only Lleyton Hewitt would do the same :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cant see that its fans promoting the idea that cyclists have doped. Just looking at my back issues of procycling from a few years back, just about every cover star has since been busted for doping.

That said - I do think cycling is cleaner now than its been for decades. <crosses fingers>

Other sports will be worse though - they just havent had the focus and attention that cycling has.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Big tennis fan and player here, and also a huge Agassi fan (preferred Pete). I was very suprised it was Agassi because of his clean cut image but the cynic in me thinks he did it to sell more books. At the time of offence he wasn't exactly playing well and was probably having the worst career possible, so I'd imagine the temptation to let off a bit of steam was pretty strong. Especially as the guy he got the drug from was around him a lot. But let's get real here, it wasn't a performance enhancing drug so he had no benefit from taking it as far as his tennis went.

A little suprised he's come out with it now (aside from increased book sales) but I doubt very much it will harm his image too much after the dust settles. A few of the big names have come out and said how disappointed they are (Fed, Nadal etc), but it'll die down in time.

There have been a few nandrolone and testosterone cases come out over the last few years, especially with the South Americans and Checks, but the sport isn't exactly rife with it. It's just not that sort of sport.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    sampras38 wrote:
    There have been a few nandrolone and testosterone cases come out over the last few years, especially with the South Americans and Checks, but the sport isn't exactly rife with it. It's just not that sort of sport.

What exactly makes you think that tennis is just not that sort of sport?
  • sampras38
    sampras38 wrote:

What exactly makes you think that tennis is just not that sort of sport?

OK, it is, as in the same way any sport that requires energy or fitness will be. What I meant was it's not the sort of sport when PED's are going to make a champion. I've played at a fairly high level before, although not professsional, so I'd like to think I know a little about the game..;-)

Of course there will be people who use it, it's human nature, and especially where there is so much as stake. It's not like cycling. Come on, you must at least see that?
  • sampras38
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oct/29/andre-agassi-hate-tennis?CMP=AFCYAH

I know I'll be reading the book (and not because of this drug story).

In his early years (even up to 1997) I used to hate Agassi: too brash, too arrogant blah, blah, blah. Couldn't stand the marble washed denim shorts, the hair extensions etc.

But he ended up maturing, and towards the end of his career was one of my favs.

Now, if only Lleyton Hewitt would do the same :)

Hewitt will never change, and if he did his career would be over. Love him or loathe him, it's his character that has got him where he is today. If you take that away he'd be nothing.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I quite like Hewitt. He's an obnoxious little turd, but you have to admire his drive.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • sampras38
    Stuey01 wrote:
    I quite like Hewitt. He's an obnoxious little junk, but you have to admire his drive.

Me too, and when he first came on the scene his counter punching style quite refreshing. Not particuarly powerful but a great mover who did everything well. With that never say die attitude. I was in New york when he blew Sampras off the court in the final and I was gutted..;-)

The game has moved on now though and players have figured him out, plus they are in the main just too powerful for him now. He'll still win a few matches but his slam days are when and truely over.

When he goes Australian tennis will really be in the proverbial..;-)
  • initially it sounds really bad but is it really that different case to boonens and him taking coke? i dont really know enough about the effects of either drug but i suspect we cant really critisize tennis for what they letting him bck in when cycling has let boonen back in
  • sampras38
    initially it sounds really bad but is it really that different case to boonens and him taking coke? i dont really know enough about the effects of either drug but i suspect we cant really critisize tennis for what they letting him bck in when cycling has let boonen back in

It's the same in terms of the type of drug involved but comparing Boonen to Agassi is ridiculous. Agassi is a world-wide star well known by pretty much everyone, and a squeaky clean one at that. Boonen isn't a big star and probably only known by cycling fans. Agassi's image is much more at stake for what he did.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    initially it sounds really bad but is it really that different case to boonens and him taking coke? i dont really know enough about the effects of either drug but i suspect we cant really critisize tennis for what they letting him bck in when cycling has let boonen back in

If meth was on the banned list for tennis, he should've been punished.

coke out of competition is not banned in cycling so Boonen broke no sporting rules
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Tennis has plenty of problems but they seem to prefer sweeping matters under the carpet. It's always risky letting a governing body promote the sport, there's little incentive to clear things up. The UCI has taken a lead but it was forced to.
  • Serei Bubka is all for some action being taken against Agassi.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    He's now talking about a wig that kept slipping off too... Looked real.
    Where can I get one?